Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yorkshire boarding ventilation

Options
  • 02-11-2023 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Anyone use this type of ventilation for creep/calf shed? Currently building small extension to slated shed so thinking of doing adding Yorkshire setup. What type/size of wood did you use & source it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Just head to the local timber merchants. Some 6"x1" or 4"x1" treated. Another option is larch if you can get your hands on it.

The Yorkshire board is done on both sides

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Does this type of boarding keep rain out? Or does some get in if the wind/rain is coming from the wrong angle?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The rain would want to be nearly parallel to the side of the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Some will get in, but not nearly as much as you'd expect.

I once removed a bay of Yorkshire boarding and replaced it with Galebreaker, far more moisture came in through the Galebreaker when the wind was on it ( and raining).

Years ago, we had space boarding on the shed. It let a lot of rain in, my late father put mesh like galebreaker over it but it made it worse. The drops would burst against the mesh and the wind would push the finer drops father into the shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, in my case it was really noticible because there was a row of dairy cubicles below the boarding.

I though I'd change it for two reasons, to let in more light, and to stop an annoying "flicker" effect when the sun was low in the sky on that side of the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I was gona leave a half inch between each sheet of galvanise, what ye think?I need to sheet it as its around 6ft of a gap and snow came in before

Advertisement