Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Being a van driver myself he's really in an impossible position there. The cycle lane is too far away to firstly see any cyclists in the wing mirror and you can't see them at all once you're turning as you can't see through the van.

Cyclist should have read the situation and stopped, dumb in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Is it just me, or is that video now no longer available

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not just you. it must have been deleted in the last five minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Also being a van driver, if you have to mount the kerb, the turn is not on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Probably got a huge pile on from Vine's 'fans'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Not a near miss as such but a funny encounter with a taxi driver who had decided to park where the green circle is above this morning (obviously facing the wrong way). Had his sliding door open and the passenger he was picking up was getting in.

I was going up the incline so didn't really want to stop, I seen whoever it was getting into the car, the driver put his hand up as if saying sorry so I went around the door when it was open as the passenger was in there. I sort of was shaking my head at the driver for parking there in the first place but it was one of those things I just went on.

Turns out the hand being raised was actually a request for me to stop as when I was passing I glanced at the driver and he was frothing at the mouth and aggressively pointing his middle finger at me 😂

One of those situations where I think about it half an hour later and wonder what would have happened if I'd stopped and asked what the problem was. The level of aggression was insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Continuous line is a mandatory cycle lane - goes without saying but the taxi driver was 100% in the wrong.

Honestly, if a driver gets that worked up, I think the best case outcome is as little interaction as possible.

I had something very similar happen to me, expect the taxi crossed the road and pulled in facing me as I was cycling along. Think I yelled 'oi' and wagged my finger, but the legend of the passenger got out and said 'don't worry, I give out to him too'. The idea of the taxi driver being given out to inside the car made my day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a new concept. too old to be held responsible for safe driving, but not too old to be allowed drive...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sadly not a new concept at all, court cases up and down the country have had similar reinforced by judges since i was a child. It is up there with too old, too employed, having family, and in a very American tone, we can't restrict someones ability to move around in a car.

A crazy collection of near misses.

To be honest, if I was in his shoes, I'd be moving much further away from the roads edge, towards the middle of the lane. I had similar qty's of dangerous passes which dwindled to 1, maybe 2, per quarter instead of 1-3 a day, once I adjusted positioning to force those overtaking into the other lane. I do this on all road types, regardless because, as can be seen in the video, dangerous passes are not limited by road type

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

A month!! Some of them are criminal. Several were buses which is ridiculous.

A lot of them beeping at him. That a Cork thing?

The beeping, no, thats common. You either get beeped at just for being on the road or just for delaying by not riding the gutter. I get beeped on a regular basis for the second one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think it's a Cork thing especially though. I'm from Cork, moved to Dublin and bad enough as Dublin is, it's a lot easier to cycle here than Cork imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭barryribs

That white one at the end is frightening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

If I were him, I would cycle from Carrigaline to Passage, via back roads and then onto the cycle path all into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It was kind of comical with the car breaking the read light and the guy running through the junction after him!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

If he changed his road positioning he would run out of footage and wouldn't be able to rage post on Twitter all week :D I'm all for highighting the poor and dangerous actions of drivers / cyclists / pedestrians that we all experience but many of the dedicated posters on Twitter seem to thrive on the attention and over react by aggressivly chasing drivers, getting into aguments with them etc. I've watched some of their video's (can't remember if it was the chap linked above) and they've been outright dangerous in their pursuit of the "offending" driver and seemed to care about nothing other than catching up and gettting into a confrontation. They will defend their "right" to do so in the comments and refuse to acknowledge that any of their own actions were dangerous. I think many of these posters make cyclists look just as bad as the drivers.

You are spot on with the road positioning. I used to be guilty of sticking to the inside edge of the lane etc, but after getting knocked off on a roundabout a few months back I have started taking a much more assertive position on narrow roads / roundabouts and at junctions. It has made a noticeable difference with cars approaching from behind and also puts me in a better position to react to drivers pulling out in front of me. Roundabouts are still dodgy as 99% of people seem to have no idea how to navigate them :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Driver aggression is worse outside Dublin, attitudes towards cyclists and pedestrians much worse. You can see it on boards.ie, some users want cyclists and pedestrians banned from some roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Agree with this, there was someone on here a while ago calling for cyclists to be banned from rural roads, 'cos at times there wasn't enough room to get by them straight away'.

Cork city has been the worst for me, most other places are grand for the most part, Wicklow used to be bad but has improved in recent years. Wexford is wonderful. Dublin is only bad due to sheer volume, you are more likely to come across an ars*hole, most of the time, the issues are human error rather than malice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ha

I was just nodding along to the generalised areas, thinking louth/meath is kinda OK, and thinking the north must be a disaster.

Serious proportion of the close passes around here are yellow regs. And their main roads can be quite narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I cycle twelve km each way to work when i'm in the office. Every single fcuking day, i have a close one with someone driving a car or see another cyclist having a close on with someone driving a car.

Every single fcuking day.

2 solid minutes of crazy aggression

Delighted to see him taking the lane.

F*ck me, its not like he wasn't keeping a decent pace, if the van had overtaken him, he'd have been stuck on its rear door, it couldn't really have gone faster. It's rare I feel bad for RTBI but that van driver was bang out of order.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A few days ago, I saw this vid of a lad who cycles around London with his cat being knocked off by a moped rider. Rather than reprimand the moped rider, the police officer in the car behind could only suggest the victim wear a helmet...

Now apparently after this went public, he is being told to kill himself...

Some people really are vile!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I saw that at the time, people are just morons, some were saying they're reporting him to the RSPCA and I have no doubt some did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

If you look at the video, the cyclist manoeuvres to the right but doesn't give any hand signal. I wouldn't give all the blame to the moped(ist?) overtaking him as even a cyclist would have done the same thing. Maybe should have pre-empted that he may have been turning though.

Also I do think it's irresponsible carrying a cat on a bike like that. Same with that "character" in Dublin who has his dog on his bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It’s a one-vehicle lane. Nobody should be parallel in the same lane.

Not sure why it’s irresponsible having a cat on the bike as opposed to a baby strapped up on a bike?

I know you mightn’t mean to - but this is the exact victim blaming that often gets thrown at people that is unwarranted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a skip in the video. People assume he has not signalled when he may well have done in the bit that's cut

Advertisement