Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Internet Destroying Some People’s Lives? **Mod Warning In Post #131**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,963 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Then no education system is going to change the conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

If western democratic governmental establishments actually did their mandated job, instead of pandering to whatever corporation or financial institution was promising them the moon and stars, you wouldn't have the current level of conspiracy theorists that some of you seem so bothered about.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

There are dark spaces on the internet. It can be as depraved as the human mind can go. I know someone that had part of their life streamed on it. There’s no coming back from there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

There has always been conspiracy theorists. The internet gave them a place to meet and an ability to monetise their deranged content.

You can't teach someone whose paycheck relies on them not learning.

I honestly think that laws around disinformation should be enacted to stop this nonsense.

We've already seen enough disinformation, propaganda and media manipulation that has influenced voting patterns and potentially destabilised governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭ottolwinner

Parents are only to happy to hand kids a screen so they can have some peace, but they have no idea of the addiction they have started.

there’s a poem from the 60/70s the revolution will not be televised it’s about the notion back then that people were glued to the box and the world was passing them by. It could be rewritten for the current situation.

• Advertisement

The internet isn't the problem. Western democratic institutions who continuously lie to and also deceive the public citizenry who elect them is a massive problem.

What voting patterns are you talking about? The people who voted for brexit? That was a protest vote against the British establishment who took Britain into an illegal war over in the middle east and then bailed out financial institutions to the sum of Billions, bailed out on the backs of the general British taxpayer because of the great Financial institution f**k up of 2008, where no banker was arrested, where no cheerleader of the illegal war in Iraq was arrested. That is why Brexit happened. Don't get me started on the yanks.

Those aren't conspiracy theories, those are facts, and those facts resulted in the voting patterns you are clutching your pearls at. It had f**k all to do with the internet, disinformation, Russia, Spectre, Banshees or whatever other fairytale you want to peddle.

I know many who voted for Brexit that weren’t protesting with their votes.

They wanted to break ties with European governance and had nostalgic thoughts of the Britain of the parents.

good business owners that didn’t feel much pinch in the financial crash of 08

At least 15 customers of mine voted no because they felt decisions for Britain economically, security and immigration should be governed by them and not by Europe as their experience was that Europe hadn’t delivered as best it should have in their opinion.

• Advertisement

European governance, the same European governance that demanded that every nation in the EU and ultimately its own citizens in each nation bail out the financial institutions that totally f**ked up in 2008, the same institutions that no CEO or chairperson was ever arrested or held accountable for?

Didn't feel much pinch? lol How is everyone including yourself "feeling the pinch" right now?

You’re a bit late with the preach of what you see should have happened and who should have been held to account. You asked me what they used their vote for. I told you in summary best as possible.

not everyone casts their vote in protest of something they don’t like. Most cast it in the hope and expectation of change.

Back to the topic of the thread. Is the internet destroying lives. I would agree it’s eating up many potential opportunities for people by excessive use of it.

Well then shut it down. See what happens with the protesting vote when you can't blame it on the 'internet'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I'd go by incredible amount of any age people happily swallowing any kind of nonsense being served to them. Not able to handle the online pressure...😁

I'm old schooled, just pirating, illegally streaming and posting on boards, in the meantime I'm happily ignoring any other social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

It's comical.

Just an excuse for that poster to rant about men. So weird.

And then the buddies arrive. So the 3 amigos are on boards at the same time, in the same thread, agreeing with each other, ranting like lunatics. They do it quite often.

makes no sense what you’re saying. What will happen with the ‘protesting’ vote. Do you vote for what you want or vote in protest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I must admit to having spent a lot of time late at night watching music reactions on YouTube. Don’t ask me why I can’t even explain it to myself 😂

"makes no sense" Did you just arrive here 2 months ago or something? People in a democracy will vote on how the current establishment is treating them. If they aren't being treated well by the establishment, they will vote against whatever the current establishment wants to push through. That is literally a protest vote. That is how it works. That is how it has always worked.

What you’re saying makes no sense. “Wait and see what happens with the protest vote”. Enlighten me and the rest what’s going to happen with it? Do you vote in protest or vote for what you see as the best alternative ?

don’t mind the personal slants on when I arrived, that just takes from your rant.

You want the internet shut down right? You see it as a dangerous excessive utility because it is "eating up many opportunities for people", That's what you said. That's a fairly serious statement/rant from your own self, so, If you genuinely believe that noise, you should then ask your current democratic representative to shut the internet down? If that's what you genuinely believe?

Lets say you get what you want, how do you think that is going to go down?

• Advertisement

Ahh stop your full of semantics. I’ve never said it should be shut down and done away with. You like to interpret it that way because it suits your ranting and raving.

deflected twice from answering direct questions but sure I knew you would because that would take self reflection.

Anyhow I’m going to leave you at on the giving out, you seem to love that. You were stating earlier that Brexit was a protest vote ‘fact’ but that’s just your own little fact. No substance to it though.

Direct questions lol.

Your questions are about as direct as a dying wasp trying to find some hole to collapse in at the end of September.

Go'wan and Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭archfi

Yep, curiously the OP never mentioned the effect on girls as well, they don't go bald when hitting the fabled 'middle-aged' boogeyman stage of life I suppose.

It's not the internet that's at fault per say, it's social media which is curiously named when you think about it.

It's certainly done a job on a fair few men, women, boys and girls - just look at what vomited out of Tumblr all those years ago.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I do think if you are continuously getting angry with the opinions of complete strangers on the Internet then you need to step back and work out why it's happening. You'd see a lot of it on message boards and on sites like Twitter. People logging on just so they can get angry. Obsessing about what other people with a different perspective are saying. Maybe even attempting to doxx them or get them banned. It's weird.

I maintain a long ignore list on this site, and make extensive use of the block and mute functions the odd time I visit the vile cesspit that is Twitter. Makes for a much better and more productive browsing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anyone under 35 who can’t remember a time without this has been deeply affected

over that age you can still think back to a better time and place when it didn’t exist which is something to hold onto

But it’s difficult looking at your own children staring into a devise knowing what has been unleashed on them

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭seanrambo87

Sectarian? Don't make me laugh, nothing about that post is sectarian. Grab a dictionary pal. People often throw powerful words around that they don't understand in order to shut arguments down. Guaranteed you've thrown the ol' faithful 'nazi' grenade around in order to stifle debate. Holding tyrants to the fire? Must be a demanding vocation given your stance in life goes against most people who live in the real world.

Back under your bridge troll, before the villagers discover your whereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

edit: not worth the aggro

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Ahh stop. Your analogies are just diversion from a poor opinion dressed up as a fact and called out for it

do you vote in protest or for a preferred option. That’s a direct question to you but you side stepped twice but you’d want the head of a chairperson or CEO in some institution but name nothing. All hot air.

watch what will happen with the protest vote= still no prophecy from you as to where that will go.

don’t waste any more internet time I’m not going to 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

I love to go back to 2004 when I was pushing 12-hour days on World of Warcraft, that next door teenager is living his best life. being an adult sucks ass, **** this grind

Advertisement