Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drone for Farming

Options
  • 02-11-2023 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭

Anyone here use a drone for farm work? Looking at getting one for checking sheep on the mountain and to help with gathering. What make model would people who have experience with them recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

DJI mini 3, Calved some autumn calvers on a woodchip pad about 3 miles away (1500yrds as the crow flies). Used to send the drone down to have a look in

I have a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom, which is quite old now at this stage. I would think DJI are still the best brand. Not sure what models are about now, I would take flight times with a pinch of salt. I know they said mine should fly for 31 minutes, be very lucky to get 23 on a calm day and I'd be cutting it very fine getting back. The zoom function is helpful to be able to see into areas that you couldn't as you might lose signal descending to see something. Sheep WILL get used to a drone, and while they may run like fcuk for the first few weeks, they'll stand against it after a while and you'll be left holding your.... controller. Wind doesn't bother mine but you're not going to be using it on wet, misty, drizzly or other moisture filled days - that can be a lot of days. You will miss a lot of important things checking sheep with a drone, compared to walking through them. About the best that it'll do is tell you where they are, if they're caught in a fence, if they have very obvious maggots, if they have a lamb and other very obvious stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Thank you, the only time I plan on using with the sheep is when gathering and feeding on the mountain, as an aid to locate sheep rather than wasting time walking in the wrong direction

Advertisement