Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Internet Destroying Some People’s Lives? **Mod Warning In Post #131**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

"do you vote in protest or for a preferred option"

Okay

Why are you of the opinion that only one option or the other is the only way to go in a free democracy?

I've been voting for over 30 years, numerous times I've utilised my vote for protest and also for a preferred option.

Sometimes my preferred option is to utilise it as a protest vote.

So what are you on about?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭seanrambo87

I fell down the rabbit hole in my early twenties, it consumed me to the point that I became insufferable, by my own admission. Too much of anything is bad for you. That includes love

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So you assume something from my post that doesn't exist, then use your entire post to disprove your own assumption.

Well done.

I wasn't talking about Brexit. I was talking about the US election which was interfered with by Cambridge analytica through a system of social media manipulation which culminated with the US capitol building being ransacked.

But I'm sure you also have an explanation for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

So you are of the belief that everybody in the entire western lexicon was totally fine with being lied to about Iraq, totally fine with the corporate financial institutions being bailed out by the everybody in the west, to the tune of hundreds of billions, without any single repercussion to any of the financial institutions who were actually responsible?

You think it was Cambridge analytica who manifested the outrage from out of the online ground like some sort of demented electrical cabbage that came out of nowhere from that 10 year timeline? Keep thinking that fairytale. Because anybody who lived through every single semblance of that 20 year timeline knows exactly where the outrage came from, where the voting pattern came from. And it will continue to occur as long as western democracies treat the citizenry, the actual custodians of the entire show, as nothing but idiots, which they aren't.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

I don't get it. I'm on the mobile if that affects it or is it esoteric?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Well in Ireland the party that helped create the conditions were returned to power before the collapse in the belief that Ireland could continue to be "the richest country in the world", and will continue to vote into power whoever promises them the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,963 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm fine with the outcome of the bank bailouts in Ireland. Saved 120,000 depositors in Anglo Irish from losing all their money. Guaranteed the deposits of many more in the other institutions. Prevented all the mortgage holders in negative equity who defaulted, from losing their homes.

Banks and Credit Unions are just a collection of customers who have deposits or who have taken out loans. A bailout is a bailout of customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

And you think that Donald Trump's lies and populism was the correct answer as chosen by a rational and well informed electorate?

Yeah no....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Not dude what Trump and Brexit have to do with the thread, apart from being exactly the sort of talking points that get their 90 IQ followers all up in a huff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Musk says AI is goin to take a lot of jobs off people in the not to distant future. What will people work at to earn a living. Can’t all go on the dole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Universal Basic Income seems to be the best solution.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

You have something against gaming which doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. Online gaming develops problem solving and team building skills and is immensely creative. Those kids in previous generations would have been playing card games, doing puzzles, reading books or listening to music. What makes those activities superior? Of course everyone needs physical activity but that's a seperate thing ,we're talking about entertainment here.

Why do some people have so much against computer games, but not against other forms of entertainment? It's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Musk is charlatan and is just scaremongering just because his own AI system isn’t up and running and yet. Did he mention anything about the job losses from self driving cars, and trucks, in the future?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

This is just a ridiculous opinion, and very probably wrong.

If Brexit vote (2016) was a protest vote against the British Establishment (which it absolutely wasn’t) why in Gods name was the same Government that have been in charge since 2010 won elections in 2017 and 2019? Were people tired of protesting by then? It must have been a very small window of protest as they also voted the same government back in in 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Sounds like someone is very angry they were allowed an Atari 2600 back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

If someone is wasting their life with online games that doesn't mean they would have been a big success if the internet had never been invented. They'd have been wasting their life on something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

No it's not, just needs to be controlled for teens and even more so for those who are weak at school or have any issues or gambling tendancies, the same with smart phones, once someone is an adult earning there own living they can do as they like.

A group of male teens ran out on the road in front of us the other night laughing like hyenas, I know from experience in 10 years time they will be the engineers, teachers, IT types, bus drivers, or doctors of the world that's the way the world goes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Good point. It does rile me up somewhat that games are constantly scapegoated but the lads pissing away more money than they have at the bookies, the people gorging on red meat and fried foods, the lads at the pub and so on never get criticised. For instance, just before I emigrated, I'd a friend in rural Ireland and he was going on to me one day about a character on a kids TV show with an innuendo for a name. He'd been sat in front of RTE all day watch kids' shows pretty much all day every day instead of trying to find work or make something of himself. Last I checked, he's on welfare with numerous children.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

It is very easy to blame the object of excess for the issues caused by that excess. And it is not always wrong to do so. We can blame alcohol or gaming or social media or whatever for destroying someone's life and in some cases be correct. Such things are addictive and can grab hold of someone in an awful way that ultimately leads to their demise.

All too often though - and my own entirely subjective feeling based on anecdote and experience is that it is the vast majority of the time - the object of excess is a symptom not the disease. Something entirely else is wrong in that person's life and the outlet they turn to in excess to self medicate is just a symptom of that.

Without a deep dive into your neighbours lives we are all just arm chair psychologists therefore - engaging entirely in guess work. We simply do not know what is going on there any more than you. Which is to say pretty much not at all. But my first guess would rarely be that he is a casulity of gaming or the internet that has made him a "lost boy". I would first be looking for what else is missing or awry in his life that he is hiding from - to find if he has already been "left behind" and has retreated to gaming and the internet to escape.

I can say no more than that therefore from what you have written. Save to say that if it was me in that situation as one of the parents of said boy - the absolute first port of inquiry I would be turning to would be myself. Failed or bad parenting. I would be looking to see if I have failed the child in some way and looking to see what I could do. Starting with tossing every screen and electronic in the house into the nearest charity store so they can make some money and then looking to rebuild by child's future from the ground up without them.

I do not know your neighbours or anything about them. So I do not know if they are good parents or bad parents or what else is going awry in their child's life. All I can say is that I would be looking at myself first and foremost as a parent if I was in that situation - and checking the boxes there first before moving on to further inquiry.

On a side note - somewhat related - I have mentioned before that my kids are relatively electronics free. With at least one user getting antsy because I have mentioned it once too often for their liking. No televisions in my house. Little access to phones. And I see the teenagers in my daugthers life staring at their phones a lot as many of us have. But if their friends come to my house they leave their phones at the door. They do not have to do that when they visit other friends houses. If there are all so addicted to the phones and so forth therefore - then I often wonder why it is my house they most often always want to come to. Could it be they are not all as addicted as we like to think and when a stimulating, engaging, interesting alternative exists they happily take it? Is it therefore the internet, the phones, the social media and the gaming that is failing our kids? Or is it us? The adults?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

While I agree with you to an extent that like saying unless the teen is entertained I.e provided with entertainment they will turn to gaming. The issues is managing themselves and not expecting something outside to provide them with entirtainment or stimulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Indeed. There are happy mediums there I find. Like I do not stand over my children 24/7 screaming "Are you not entertained" in my best Maximus Decimus Meridius voice. They have their own paths in life and entertainments and so on. But I set them on a lot of those paths. And I tended to walk the first steps of those paths with them and in some cases still do.

For example my daughter loves to fire rifles and other guns. I do that with her too. The same with Jujitsu and combat sports. I was building in the muscle memory of certain aspects of self defence and attack since they were toddlers. If you grab any of my kids from behind for example out of nowhere they will instantly adopt a position/posture without even thinking about it that is designed specifically to allow them to slip out and escape when they choose to. Similar to how people can fill out space when you put hand cuffs on them so they can drop that space again and have space to play with to skip the cuffs.

There are other pursuits my kids have though that I started with them but then backed off. But they still do them. And every so often I will try out another one with them and see if they take to it - or if I will take to it - and then either continue it with them or back off.

Contrast this to the parenting approach of handing them a screen every time they pipe up in any way. Anything for "peace and quiet" and to get rid of them and get them out of your face. That approach is not for me. If it works for others so be it. I am not here to critique what anyone else does or does not do. I just certainly would not do that myself. I see for example toddlers sitting in buggies in the supermarket staring at a phone so the parent can get peace while shopping. Certainly understandable. But the parents later wonder A) why their kids are addicted to phones and B) why they are picky eaters and will not eat vegetables and the like. Both issues I think can be approached and often bypassed by a completely different approach to supermarket shopping with a small child.

But as you say the ultimate goal is self management and self motivation. That has to be built into the equation too of course as you rightly point out. I just think there are many ways to get there and for me, the approach I have taken, is a very hands on early in the process one where you walk many paths with them before letting them set off the rest of the path on their own. It certainly a much higher effort / input approach that many others. But it's the one that works for me.

Ultimately though if a child is sitting around scrolling social media for hours and then screaming into a headset on games for the other hours and failing at school and social life and personal health and hygiene and so forth - then I will not automatically assume its a failure in parenting - but a failure in parenting would still be the first thing I would be moving to look at. Rather than assuming it's all the fault of the games, the internet, or the social medial algorithms. But generally in life when I start pointing fingers I always try to point it at myself first - just to be sure - before I point it anywhere else. A scapegoat is always easier than taking too close a look at ourselves I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I’m more worried about clowns like Musk being elevated to wise sage status. He’s just pissed off he wasn’t first to develop it.

There’s so much amazing things you can use the internet for - learn a new language, virtual tours of museums and heritage sites, research your family tree etc etc. an embarrassment of riches tbh.

Yet some people spend about 18 hours a day, 365 days a year being angry and getting into arguments with complete strangers. You’d almost feel sorry for them - something has obviously come loose up there. Has anyone ever had their mind changed about anything as a result of a message board? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Lol, what an ironic comment.

I’ve never gotten angry with a tweet, post or comment on the internet. I just don’t allow the opinions of complete strangers (some of whom will almost certainly be complete oddballs) to get to me. I don’t value their opinions enough to allow it to get to me.

I will block or ignore if I find a contributor/tweeter/poster to be inane, boring, moronic, cliched, obvious, racist, sexist, transphobic etc. The opinions of angry middle-aged white men tend to be very similar. You’ve read the drivel of one of them and you’ve read them all.

If someone is getting angry all the time with posts, tweets, comments on the internet then they need to step back and work out why that is happening. It’s not healthy. Some anonymous stranger is living completely rent free inside their head. They probably need to take up a hobby or make some meaningful real world relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Imagine having multiple accounts.

• Advertisement

Advertisement