Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭Shoog

Anyone who questions peer review simply because they disagree with the conclusions cannot be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Exactly, peer review just means they have followed the rules, made no obvious mistakes in the calculations they presented in the paper. Peer review does not mean the topic is factually correct or authoritative truth, the paper is just put out there for discussion. Both of us have already covered on this thread how peer review is abused for political considerations especially when it comes to "climate science", and the problems with abuse of peer review extend to other academic disciplines as well. The most recent example of that was provided where a person shaped his paper to line up with expectation to get published, demonstrating the point you just made.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Anyone that thinks the peer review process adds any weight to a paper should never be taken seriously.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

• Advertisement

Tell me you know nothing about the peer review process without telling me.

Peer review ensures a level of accuracy and credibility before the paper is released. Very few papers are ever withdrawn for inaccuracy or lying or manipulation because of this.

Then a paper is subject to review by the whole academic field so any paper which slips through the initial process is quickly corrected by the greater body of experts.

Academic papers stand or fall on the credibility of their methodology and the repeatability of their results. Only papers which stand up to these tests are accepted as part of academic cannon.

https://www.science.org/content/article/what-massive-database-retracted-papers-reveals-about-science-publishing-s-death-penalty

I will take this over the personal opinion of a few right wing cranks any day of the week. Really this is only raised by people whos world view diverges from the evidence.

Post edited by Shoog on

This has been done to death on this very thread so I'm not going to go through it all again but you are welcome to search back and review if you like.

What's telling us that you go straight to making this a "right wing" thing when it's actually a failing to understand what the peer review process actually is. Academic journals are nothing more than gatekeepers who like to charge quite a lot of money for access to other people's work.

There are numerous studies done on just how easy it is to pass the peer review process with nothing more than word salad and sticking to a formula.

You're on a hiding to nothing trying to debate deniers and conspiracy theorists. I gave up on that a long while ago.

It's like debating flat-earthers, pointless as their position forces ignorance of all evidence

• Advertisement

Wonderful insight and contribution as always. Have you a link to prove your hypothesis? You know, something substantial that isn't copy and pasted from the green press office.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Oooo kay. You're one of them....

Try to stay away from sharp objects

Ah yes, I love these retorts. The third amigo to jump in with another unfunny comment. The playbook is so transparent it's hilarious "anyone that doesn't agree with me is a right wing, conspiracy nut, imbecile".

Have you ever stopped to think for second that you may not be 100% correct, as you so clearly do? Just even for a passing moment?

The downsides of being wrong?

• clean energy
    • clean air
    • clean water
    • increased biodiversity
    • sustainable mobility
    • better cities to live and move around in
    • better transport system
    • safer roads for all users of all ages

The horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

That last bit. Are you referring to the scam some years back in which a person did some word salady stuff in a diversity paper which was obviously rubbish but got through?

Peer review USED to mean something but was usually carried out by under graduates to spot obvious inaccuracies in a paper to bring back to the writer for a rewrite/ edit. That didnt mean the paper's study was accurate as the 'peers' usually didnt go too deep into the subject. And of course, the 'peers' themselves might be highly biased and a kind of group think makes it possible for papers to get through. For me, the more political a subject the less you can trust the peer review. I would usually trust a paper on astro physics or general physics as long as it has nothing to do with the climate or green tech.

The best thing you can do is to look at where the paper comes from. If it has 'climate' in the title that is a red flag. If a 'study' is put forward by a biased 'journalist' who's job it is to push climate alarm like George Lee that is a double nono. Unfortunately once trusted magazines like Nature and Science have been heavily politicised that even their quality of care has been lowered greatly. This has been documented and have lead to the general distrust of science (even by scientists themselves) and institutions with Covid as a prime example. With overreaching institutions like the UN/WHO seeking ever greater powers with less and less players you can clearly see the threat to democracy..

You actually haven't demonstrated that peer review fails to protect academic standards. You are a typical type who disagrees with peer review when it disagrees with your politically motivated opinions. It's a bit tragic and real Dunning Kruger territory.

Let's state here just 0.04% of academic papers are withdrawn for fraud and inaccuracy. There are few things as dependable as that.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

aine lawlor just now on morning Ireland demanding that farmers sell up to halt climate change due to a wet October.typical rte lectures to the unwashed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭prunudo

Similar last week on rte news, segment on the coastal erosion at the Murrough in Wicklow. Something that has been happening for decades when there's an easterly storm. Reporter of course threw in the climate change angle, even got a 'concerned local' to parrot the same, after a loaded question.

Is coastal erosion a concern, of course, but lets stop blaming everything weather related on climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Don't forget to acknowledge the people who bring you the hydrocarbons that make all this possible. Roads in Ireland started off as paths worn by the movement of cattle (Bóthar), what is bitumen and why is it used on our roads? How would the materials used to make the road signage and barriers be extracted if it was not for energy from hydrocarbons? How is it I can travel from Dublin to anywhere in the country within hours at anytime of day on private transport? The green solution, take your time and walk at the speed your ancestors did when following the cows, i.e. "active transport"

Clean energy (is there such a thing?) simply means the pollution is produced remotely. If an EV drives in a city and the smug Green can't see the exhaust pipe, does it really pollute the atmosphere?

The water we drink is generally cleaner today than when our ancestors drew it from the well, tell me again how typhoid and other water borne diseases were spread in 19th century Ireland, before they had water treatment and sewage disposal. Powering water treatment plants depends on the availability of reliable electricity and reliable electricity generation is only possible in Ireland with the use of hydrocarbons.

There is more biodiversity in Ireland today that there has been in the last 12,000 years. When the ice that shaped the topology we see today covered the country, the place was a wasteland, and it was not so great either when the tundra dominated, when our ancestors arrived circa 8,000 years ago then place was dominated by a few species trees and few animal species, the giant elk had already gone extinct due to climate change. The place was generally impassible and wet, even malaria was an problem (mosquito habitat), this is why most early settlements are found along rivers, it is easier to move along rivers. All the animals we eat were introduced by humans, dogs, cats and rabbits were introduced by humans, chickens and turkey are non-native species. We eradicated wolves and boars and make the country safe for human habitation. All the vegetables we grow and eat are non native species, even better they are selectively bred, the original species of these plants are not very productive and often very toxic to humans. There was a time when being a vegetarian meant starving in Winter, today we import vegetables and fruit out of season that is transported over great distances (why the food miles campaign got dropped) and it's fresh too. How is this possible: hydrocarbon energy.

The horror is Greens want to remove our ability to use hydrocarbons, but not theirs.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

I have a link, but unfortunately it has been peer reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Sell up to who exactly? Crazy ideas. Does she know how many billions it would cost to buy all that land?

Isn't coastal erosion along the SE coast due to the soil type where it is primarily sand with little rock?

Biodiversity is not better now than it had been in 12k years, unless you drag in the deep ice age to make your dubious point.

All areas of biodiversity have seen dramatic declines since the 1980s with typical losses of 80% in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Spot on.

But the greens think they can cherry pick the good bits without the downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'm an associate editor for a well regarded technical journal. The peer review process aims to catch anything obviously incorrect or absurd, however, it does not repeat the experiment or modelling nor does it validate it in any way. It merely ensures that the logic in the approach is reasonable. It also ensures that the manuscript is intelligible as many non-native speakers will write in English but don't have the required grammar or vocabulary. The editors and reviewers (usually 2-3 fellow academics) will provide feedback, whether suggestions or questions to the author and an iterative process follows till a final approval.

There are certain journals who will publish any old thing as long as the authors pay for the honour of publishing it (yes, it is a dubious money racket but academics and PhD students need to publish a certain number of papers per annum). Some reviewers will accept anything without much comment because it keeps them sweet with the publisher or they meet a reviewer target and others will have vendettas against rival institutions. There's a lot of politics and money involved but generally, meritable papers will make it through the process.

My biggest gripe is that there's supposed to be a degree of novelty in the research and it is supposed to further the field. A huge amount of papers appear to be close copies of previous work and there are so many journals and conference letters, it's impossible to check them all (especially when many are pay walled). This is particularly rampant in the hot topics like renewables where the same paper can be published 10s of times with only slight variations (perhaps a different setting or parameter).

Overall, I enjoy reviewing the manuscripts but I'm not sure I learn a lot from them given how abstract many are. It would be great if the authors were required to publish a video of their work alongside any paper so it could be digested in a more tangible way. It would also be easier to spot experimental errors or invalid assumptions.

Oh boy, I don't disagree with the peer review process. It doesn't do what a lot of people think it does though and in many disciplines it is completely broken. Peer review does nothing to verify the veracity of any claims within a paper. And again, you know nothing of my political beliefs so can I put you down as a mind reader?

An important point is that people pay attention to the quality of the journal when reading the papers. There are dubious journals but their output carries almost no weight.

A lot of climate skeptical papers could only get publish in such pay to tell journals and even then they were generally quickly retracted when reviewed by the greater academic community.

In significant part peer review works as intended.

I posted a study, was told to ignore it because it was pre print, then when I confirmed that it has been accepted for publication, I was told peer review is meaningless....

I notice you never ever say anything critical of the YouTube and blog content posted by the likes of Pa ElGrande.

Peer review has its flaws, but it's the best tool we have for filtering out the real science from the gallons of toxic sludge that flows freely through the climate change denial blogsphere.

We can and should be aiming to do all that without bankrupting the country by spending 100's of billions on projects that make everything more expensive for the consumer.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately not as close as we could be because of generations of corrupt politicians in the pockets of the Coal, Oil and Gas lobby have been doing everything they can to block any attempt to transition away from fossil fuels. We're decades behind where we should be by now, and the consequences of that are manifesting themselves though the extremes in weather and flooding and crop failures that we're already seeing

Advertisement