Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engine buggy for a kid

• 31-10-2023 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭

We are thinking of getting something similar to this for the kids for Christmas.

some essentials would be a good roll cage, a speed limiter and reverse gear.

obviously safety is paramount and we believe this is safer than a quad.

anyone here that has one for their kids, Any suggestions on where to buy or makes to Avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No input but this looks awesome.. We run lots of small engines at work and find Honda or B&S to be the best for reliability and longevity..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What age are the kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They are all just toys imo.

Fine for a supervised slow run in the park but if you let 2 lads sit on that that will use it to its 'full potential' , it won't last a month.

Been there and done that with nephews. Bought new in the hope of some trouble free use and was a disaster.

Went back to Company after many repairs for a fraction of the new price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

cheers for that, will keep a look out for one of those

I Don’t want to say because I feel it would open up to negative comments. But they are well of age to manage them and have drove them already. I also would want one with a speed restrictor as an added safety precaution

• Advertisement

That’s for that. That was my worry alright. At the price range they are at, that the build quality wouldn’t be the best. I think they are mostly made in china too.

only problem is better quality ones are coming into way more price wise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Would you think of getting an old small car instead, I got my lads a VW polo that failed the emissions test and they got years of fun with it, 1 litre engine so only enough power for 2nd gear in the fields, cut the back exhaust box off it so you can hear it at all times and know what happening

Not a bad idea either, especially making it loud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

I assume the op is talking about 10-12 years old.

Letting a 10 -12 year old off in a car in a field soons like a bad idea to me when you are not there.

Any of the idea in this thread are fraught with some risk. Wouldn’t be for me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You can block off gears in a car, van too.

See a fb forum where someone in the US bought a kei truck pickup and they welded blocked off the gears above 2nd for their young son to drive around their lot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

As a Dad of 3 boys I'm shocked at the ideas being thrown up here. I did however spend my teenage years racing clapped out cars around forestry roads and on stubble silage fields! Luck accounts for alot to get to adulthood unscathed.

no id agree, that’s what I meant by agreeing having it loud was a good idea. It couldn’t be taken unknown

i wonder how we managed to get to adulthood too without so little injuries. What’s that saying though Jordan Peterson had, something like; don’t stop kids doing dangerous things if they are doing it carefully. Dangerous mightn’t be the right word but I hope you get my jist

Advertisement