Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

No medical evidence - she went to hospital a few times but doctors sent her away is my understanding

The sentence handed down will confirm this either way- but Im inclined to agree with you and I don’t hold out any hope of more time to be served- something like a 2-4 year probation but no additional time served. Would love to be proved wrong on that though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

It's not the paper exaggerating

She did not die from an asthma attack, quote, he can't determine that

That is the clown part

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭plodder

Here's what the Irish Times report says:

Dr George Nichols, a former chief medical examiner in Kentucky, said it was possible that Margaret Corbett’s death in 2006 was a homicide.

Giving evidence in court in Lexington, North Carolina on Thursday, he said the opinion of Dr Elizabeth Mulcahy, the doctor in Ireland who had carried out the autopsy into Margaret Corbett, was “completely wrong”.

“There is no cause of death evidence here at all. There is nothing we can go on that has killed this woman. "

How can a doctor only reading a report allege that the doctor who performed the autopsy was "completely wrong" in her report?

He sounds like a total clown.

The judge will only go on evidence presented - not the wider circumstances of her death- there’s clearly nothing to see here but the prosecution messed up in not bringing the wider circumstances including the presence of the sister to refute this “evidence” report - it’s sloppy work in my view as they knew what their witness would be forced to admit ie- no cause of death can be determined from the report, leaving Molly Martens “view” that she believed Jason would kill her as a serious defence to justify her actions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

It more likely works that the defense argues then prosecution

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He had access to her medical history, coroners report and autopsy.

From my reading of it not only is he saying she didn't die of an asthma attack he saying it was never determined she actually had asthma.

There is no determined cause of death. Margaret Corbett did not die of an asthma attack. The manner of death is undetermined.”

He said that Mrs Corbett had received treatment for asthma in Limerick including nebuliser treatment.

He said her complaint of pain in her hand and chest some time before her death was not fully investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

She certainly was stunning...but all I'm saying by marrying her, he'd already been happy for her to be his children's Stepmom and probably so were the children... seems like her love for his children didn't include him to the same degree, but he was part of the package so to speak for better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The defense are trying to focus on the aggravating factors.

I think the writing is on the wall unfortunately and they won't see the inside of a cell again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

“some clown” 🤣🤣🤣 engaged by the prosecution, with unlimited resources.

Dr George Nicholls, a veteran forensic pathologist and former chief pathologist of the State of Kentucky, told Assistant District Attorney Alan Martin that he had received and reviewed a post-mortem examination report, a coroner's report and medical records from Limerick over the summer, to give evidence for the prosecution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They are making a case that the original conviction and sentence was unsafe, open to doubt and would appear to be making good progress. Seems a few people have likely made money off this saga, stories to the papers and books etc. And more to come yet one suspects.

They don't have to make a case that the original conviction was unsafe. The Appeals Court and Supreme Court did that for them.

It's worth noting the Supreme Court ordered a retrial not a plea deal, that was completely down to the prosecution.

What the defence are doing is what the Supreme Court ruled they should have been allowed to do in the first trial.

Re the books, Jasons sister has written 2 off the back of it.

The Judge eventually had to gag her, ironically the defence have said they will use parts of the book in evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Wasnt aware the sister wrote two books. Ffs. All proceeds to domestic violence victims id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Even if there was arguments in the marriage. There must be some punishment for beating the man to death and leaving him to go cold before calling the emergency services.

The lack of injuries on molly or the father puts holes in the self defence argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is boggles still on here saying a sleeping man who was bludgeoned to death in bed with patio Brick then finished off with an aluminium baseball bat wasn't murdered and he awoke from his brick attack to come at MM ?

Are we still on that train ?

Choo chooo

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭csirl

On of the big issues here will be that for cultural reasons an American court will always give more credibility to American witnesses than "foreign" witnesses. American medical witnesses will be believed over an Irish coroner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭crusd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭crusd

Its a sentence hearing not an tiral on the cause of death of his first wife

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Because the blood splatter was under the quilt and molly and her father have 3 different stories of where he was supposedly standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I assume the angle the defence team are going for is that Martens feared for her life and had suspicions that Corbett had murdered his first wife. This could certainly have implications for mitigation when it comes to sentencing.

• Advertisement

I know, I should just use hyper emotion to determine the facts of the case and not evidence.

I'm a bit mad like that.

Choo Choo.

Speaking if which, Evidence he was asleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

What was the point of the prosecution getting medical evidence on the cause of his first wifes death?.

Why would she be treated for asthma if she never had it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

• Registered Users Posts: 55,503 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You’re doing your best to try excuse/explain why her and her father just had to batter him to death. And hiding behind red herring desperation defence.

I have no idea. It's UHL. I imagine they guessed and sent her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well no. I have stated he was executed. "Over Killed" as the prosecution stated.

Specifically what "red herring" have I commented on?

Cheerleading would be not looking at the evidence. Just blindly swallowing the narrative.

Or specifically today internet pathologists calling an actual pathologist "clown".

Made even more ridiculous considering the pathologist is actually the prosecutions expert witness.

But but but cheerleaders, something something.

• At this point, to me it is fairly clear it was murder committed, but maybe manslaughter if she had a psychotic episode at the time. She has bipolar, which is a psychiatric syndrome which has a spectrum of severity and responds in varying degrees to treatment is that is sought and complied with. Its milder form does not cause psychosis (in old parlance “madness”), in severe form it most certainly does cause people to episodically totally lose reason. Whether she was in this state at the time of the killing hasn’t been made clear.

People with Bipolar syndrome can & often do have comorbidities, psychiatric & physical. Lewy Body Disease can underlie some cases, as was found in a person I knew who sadly died of it after years of extremely bad Bipolar. It had not been realised for decades he had an organic brain disease. In some cases areas of brain shrinkage are observed. Many will have substance abuse both caused by and further contributing to the picture. But it is incumbent on each person to try and best manage their condition, as with any disease. Eg guy I knew with Lewy Body Disease used to submit himself to a psychiatric hospital in respect of the effect he would have on his family. That was back in the day when in-patient care was much more easily available.

It seems that Molly used to deliver herself to hospitals alleging having suffered domestic physical abuse and found not to have been injured. This could be interpreted as “building a case” because she didn’t like her husband and wanted him gone out of her life. But she apparently loved the children and getting rid of him would also “get rid” of them. We must remember people, even in full possession of their marbles, don’t always make sense, and it could be that she got fed up with his verbal behaviour and deliberately exaggerated how he interacted, adding in physical blows as a way of getting her own back on him. This is pure guesswork, but a possibility.

It does seem Jason wasn’t short on throwing insults and quips at her, and she likely was a difficult person to live with. But that would get her down, and a vicious circle at play, so the relationship was toxic. Why would he stay with her if things were so difficult? Maybe because his children seemed to love her? But again people are not logical beings, and there’s often complicated emotions at play in these circumstances.

There’s a lot we don’t know, the above is purely theoretical guesswork. Whatever was the case, it is not in any way ok that he ended up dead.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

If there was any suggestion he killed his first wife why was he never even investigated for it. Also her family continued to stay on good terms with Jason even attending his wedding, surely if they had any doubts they wouldn't have done that. Also why did Mollys mother not testify at the trial, surely her "evidence" would have helped the defence how ever incredible her story was.

Advertisement