Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its a results business, your only as good as your last 10 games. It's his 2nd season, shouldn't there be an improvement not decline? If you could see some idea of what he was trying to do, you'd hang tight but its worse by the week. You don't get time at this level without showing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Think they have 5 out of 6 games away from home upcoming, including 2 in CL. Might suit them to play away, but it’s a huge period for them and Ten Hag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

I put a cheeky €1 bet on Fulham to beat United at the weekend. No one will be surprised at that given not just how poor United are but their truly awful away form.

Then that brings us to Luton at home. Goldbridge outright dismissed the idea that United could drop points. I guess he feels they aren't THAT bad. Yet.

But honestly the way things are going I could see United losing both games, losing the Luton one would surely mean the sack for Erik. A humiliation too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah there is a bad culture 'upstairs' in the offices alright, and that sort of culture can seep throughout the club. The terrible culture within the dressing room often gets masked because the one of the directors masks it so often. The Glazers are not forcing the players to have bad attitudes, full of petulance, and divisions. While they create the 'office' culture, that can seep down throughout but there hasn't been a big enough character within the dressing room to stop it since Jose. Except the problem there is that Jose festered a bad culture and made it worse. What followed was weak characters who couldn't stop the rot but it was too late as the players within the dressing room had lived this negative dressing room culture under Jose and then grew it.

Those players are exploiting the ownership situation, for their own personal gain, and getting away with it. They are not being held accountable enough IMO. The last 10 years, just look at the prominent characters within the dressing room, and an awful lot of them have heavily exploited the situation - DDG / Pogba / Lingard / Bailly / Martial / Rashford / Ronaldo / Casemiro are the big ones IMO. You can also throw in the likes of McTominay / Shaw / Maguire / Bruno / Lindelof / Dalot to the list who have all been there the last 5 or 6 years too and not actively tried to combat this terrible dressing room culture, from what I can see. They're not young kids, they are first team players. Shaw did one post game interview where he was angry at the players after a loss but one interview shouldn't mask a few years of average performances followed by 3 good months and a new contract on a higher wages.

Those players like DDG / Pogba / Rashford went through enough managerial changes where they were playing very badly and then made a massive jump in effort when the manager changed. One of them was captain, one of them a world record transfer (and academy player) and the other was the hometown hero. And that's how they treated the club. Rashford is on bigger wages than every player at Liverpool, and for what?! A purple patch last Spring. 1 good season in 3. He knows what he's doing. Those players want that player power. Those 3 are the most culpable for the dressing room culture IMO, and it hasn't changed since 2 of them left. How would it? Bruno is the captain now and he spends more time flailing his arms around the place than anything. Whinging, crying, diving. Leader.

How did Bruno become captain? Because the current manager axed the previous one. Nice way to harmonize the squad. Especially after what had gone at the club previously with divisions.

Rangnick talked about the lack of team spirit within the dressing room, and the example of Ronaldo and 8 or 9 others not bothering to show up to a team meal only proves that. There was also the example of the fake injury when he was dropped for a big game, just so he wouldn't have the embarassment of sitting on the bench. That sort of 'leadership' is lumped onto the existing players. They think they can act the same way and get away with it, because others do. There was obviously cliques in the squad in the last couple seasons, one of them clearly led by Ronaldo. Ronaldo threw his toys of the pram for ETH and under Rangnick, he undermined him by trying to force a formation change that would cut Sancho out of the team. He got his way. Player power.

ETH did well to get Ronaldo out, but then also tried to force out Maguire and Sancho. This has caused another division again. The murmurings coming out in the media are that Sancho is not happy that 'other players in his position' can train half-arsed and still start every game without fail and get away it whereas he gets the massive public shame for not training as a sub. He is either talking about Rashford or Antony. One has a history of being up and down when he feels like it, part of the bad culture for years, and the other is the teachers pet big money signing. They say that Sancho is prepared to 'wait it out' until ETH is gone which sounds like it's inevitable, rather than give in to him. McTominay refused to move too this summer gone, but doesn't get half of the abuse that Maguire gets. It's very ironic as it's McTominay and Maguire that have kept ETH in a job this long.

ETH has caused this last situation. He solved a big Ronaldo problem but created a new problem at the same time. He stripped the captaincy of Maguire and gave it to the petulant Bruno and at the same time publicly shamed Sancho and promotes Antony. Gary Neville used to keep all the Man Utd players together at the same table in the England training canteen. Don't let anyone else in. Created a clique. If Sancho was even allowed to eat lunch in the training ground canteen, I'd guess he would be sitting alongside Maguire in the 'I hate ETH' table. I'd harbour a guess that ETH trying to bring Greenwood back into the squad didn't help things either.

TL:DR;

Whatever about the ownership, and that is a massive contributing factor. Nothing will change as long as those key characters stay in the dressing room. As long as Bruno & Rashford etc stay as the main men, problems will exist. Bad transfers in terms of ability, but worse transfers and decisions in terms of player characters - Ronaldo / Antony / Casemiro / Varane / Bruno / Martinez. They are full of petulance and/or chasing the money. Klopp's first summer, he got rid of Sakho cos he was late for a team training session and was clowning around too much to the club video/photo guys. A player widely considered to be first choice at the time. A replacement wasn't signed but a message was sent to the dressing room. A 'no dickhead' policy was placed on the squad. From what we know, no dickheads have been signed since. It helps.

Those players have got multiple managers sacked now, and they'll do it again. Just wait for the leaks about training etc. They're not playing for the manager, again.

I also find it funny that history is repeating. Liverpool last won the league in 1990 before their barren spell. After a few poor seasons they decided, "Let's get back to what worked before" and appointed Roy Evans as he was from the boot room.

This didn't work, the game had moved on. I feel United did the exact same when they appointed Ole, "let's get back to Sir Alex"

Liverpool had their "Spice Boys" FA Cup final with the white suits. I always felt like that was a sliding doors moment. I can still remember how utterly gutted I was when United won that with the late Cantona goal.

Of course we didn't have the same media/online coverage of players attitudes and behaviour that we have now. But there is a rotten player cutlture attitude at United now too. You could definitely say Pogba and Jlingtz were Spice Boys mark 2. But you also have Rashford's long term moppiness, Bruno's awful attitude for a captian, Sancho on strike etc which I belive are all far worse than Liverpool had in the mid 1990s.

I just remembered in the early 90's you had the infamous onfield, hands-on bust up between Grobbellaar and McManaman which showed you had bad things had gotten behind the scenes.

Liverpool realised they had to get with the times and looked to the continent and Gerard Houllier to improve things. United still haven't done that, they don't have a DOF and still have the old skool manager the boss of everything structure.

United still haven't fallen as far as Liverpool did, finishing 8th in the PL a few years. But I was skimming through the PL seasons for Liverpool on wiki, and with hindsight the summer of 1999 was the start of the turnaround transfer/personnel wise. They signed Hyppia, Henchoz and Hamann amongst others. Had the FA cup, League Cup and UEFA cup treble then in spring 2001.

I don't think we can say the signings of summer 2022 or 2023 are the start of the United turnaround. Possibly Hoiland might be a Hyppia type signing at these very early stages.

But the fact that United haven't made the "big picture" sturctural changes to get with the times yet means they probably have a lot further to fall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

United have many problems at the moment. A lot of them are still there from Ole's tenure. From the owners, to the sheer mentality of the club, Old Trafford 'falling down'as City fans chanted, the rotten and lazy attitude of so many 'top' players etc

ETH has tried to clear out a few players but the problem is so much more than him. A manager can only do so much. Last year Rashford was tormenting defences and scoring goals galore but now he looks devoid of character, ability, effort and looks like he believes he won't score when in on goal.

Bruno has lost that killer pass and goal threat, only seems to want to whinge and was a bad choice for a captain - but there was limited options in fairness. Antony was a very bad buy and that is on ETH's shoulders. Mount another one - he seems to have completely digressed to a nothing player. Buying Casemiro worked in the short term but his legs are gone. Sancho and others have not done it and All those players are on Ridiculous money.

Add in the whole Greenwood issue and it's like the perfect storm, anything that could go wrong did go wrong and it is definitely not going to be just fixed with another manager. Buying big names for big money and paying them big wages does not work, clearly. There has to be more.

The whole approach and mentality of the club has to change, but that is a seriously long road. Short term pain for longterm gain kind of an idea.

Similarities with Liverpool's past are strong. Crap owners, team going no where etc. New owners came in, new manager, an attitude chage, new players ( not just famous expensive ones), new training ground, Anfield redeveloped etc

Non United fans are of course enjoying the goings on currently, that's football. Changing the manager might help, but only short term, history will repeat itself eventually, papering over the cracks won't cut it.

What manager could do the job that needs to be done? The likes of Keane would surely clear house, not suffer fools easily and instill a bit of pride and get the players playing with effort and desire. That would surely go a long way to turning around their fortunes. Would he be the manager to then take them on further after that, I don't know. I thought ETH was a good appointment and did what Keane would to some extent have done. He did well initially, but has now arrived at a crossroads. I'm not sure he has much time left but I'm equally not sure if it would be wise to change manage again this soon or wait till seasons end.

Changing the manager, will not solve the problems. Neville has blinkers on for the Galzers, it's all their fault. Now the gear is too tight nonsense. There is enough blame to go around but the players need to take a good hard look in the mirror. The problem is, a lot of them looked in the mirror for Ole too - nothing changed.

Neville is right about the owners. That would be a good starting point but it will probaly start with the manager again instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Wouldn’t it be absolutely brilliant to see Keane going in to coach them for the rest of the season! And Amazon to do an All Or Nothing at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He wouldn't last one episode.

United have blown hundreds of millions but its pretty clear that the pot is now dry, its why they haven't gotten rid of the wasters and didn't properly strengthen where they needed to in the summer.

So the next manager will yet again have to try and make lemonade out of those **** lemons. They wouldn't listen to Keane, he wouldn't be able to replace them, tools would get downed and another manager would very quickly take his place under the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

it would be great because Keane is a sh*te manager

• Advertisement

odds at min 23/10 and you bet €1? hopefully you win, you'll have just about enough to buy a Mars Bar !

LMAO. Ya, I hear ya! Thankfully I learned a fair few years ago that I will never make money from gambling, so I just do €1 bets now for the buzz.

I'm turning into the 2 ould duffers from Trading Places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

United can’t get rid of players because they’re on mental wages. They fling money at players to get them to sign, it inevitably goes haywire, and they’re stuck paying those wages to someone who’s doing nothing on the pitch. It’s a never ending cycle they live inflicted on themselves. Instead of investing money into the club itself and the facilities they waste it and now the well is running dry.

An internal salary and purchase price cap would do no harm at all at United. Who gives a **** if it means they can't sign Mbappe, its the £80/90m transfers that has killed them this past decade, that price point is horrible value so just stop wasting big money on that sort of player.

Dump the ego, recognise where the club is at and start trying to find value in the market so that the team can be developed organically. If that means walking away from Antony or Sancho then walk the **** away and find an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Given the talk on United's problems I think the below table shows one of the major issues in that thier attackers have been very poor this season.

One goal in the league so far this season scored by the attacker's. That is a shocking stat.

Post edited by TitianGerm on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This United stuff is very enjoyable, tremendous stuff altogether!

Don't have any real opinion about ETH, but as I suggested about 2 or 3 months ago and I got castigated for it, there is a rotten culture at the club, and he hasn't really dealt with it in his time. He's going to pay the price too, with lots of leaks and briefing in the media over rhw last 24 hours, a well established method for both the players and management to distance themselves from the guy going to take the fall.

10 years and counting for United, and they are as far as ever from winning the league again. Only the FA cup to play for now.... Tremendous

The telegraph is reporting tonight that some Man Utd players are unhappy at his treatment of Maguire & Sancho.

Damned if you & damned if you don't. Whatever way you look at it, whether he was right to publicly shame both Maguire and Sancho, which I'm sure he was trying to get a better standard into the squad/training with, but the players didn't like being challenged and this is what it has resulted in now. Again. Player power wins out.

All these leaks and Man Utd having to give the public backing to him. It always ends up way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

It wasn't a good look to publicly shame sancho for having the wrong attitude in training and then for Ten Hag to keep starting players(rashford,martial to name two) who have a similar attitude on the field. It stinks of double standards. Also re the comments on Maguire,why say them when he was still a United player? Again very poor management from Ten Hag.

So seemingly the players are going to throw him under the bus,does this include all the players he brought in himself since the start of last season? Surely they are willing to fight for him because if they are not you would wonder why he bought them in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

That stat shows how lucky they are to be as high as they are they've been poor in every game they've won this season.

Several of the players who came in are clients of ETH's agent;nothing new for United managers of course to have seeming conflicts and a leg on both sides of transfer deals of course, but it does raise questions about loyalties and what drives the deals.

• Advertisement

Yeah I actually forgot about that,don't a few of them have the same agent. But that is the Glazers fault of course

Utd need to get rid of the toxic players at that club.

Who are the toxic players?

Pogba was a problem, Ronaldo was a problem. The manager hasn't got a tune out of the 10 players he's brought in. Antony? Who approved that, he's one of the worst wingers I've seen nevermind he cost 100m

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't remember him publicly having a go at Maguire tbf but there's definitely a knock on effect of him admonishing English players as the press has become increasingly negative towards him since with "leaks" intensifying etc

Exactly,he has brought in these players,nobody knows including himself what kind of style or formation he wants to play. And now that results have been very poor at the start of the season,its suddenly the Glazers fault again. They gave him 450 million to spend in three transfers windows so Ten Hag should have no excuses and should at the very least be a top 4 team(which they still might if he miraculously turns it around)

It stems from this interview where Ten Hag basically says that if Maguire doesn't feel he is good enough to fight for his place then he should go. Now wouldn't Ten Hag have been better off saying he thought Maguire was good enough even of privately he thought the opposite

Remember after the 2018 champions league final and at the start of preseason klopp publicly backed Karius even though he knew that he was going to be replaced by Allison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well there's something major wrong there and it's been like that for a long time now.

You have a coach who did an incredible job with Ajax. Four consecutive Eredivisie titles, he leaves and they finished fourth and now are down the bottom of the table.

He comes to United and they start to look promising and now are sliding. Ajax got better and better under him.

He's on the hot seat now but I don't think it's his fault. There's something very wrong there and I don't think it's the players causing it. They might be a sympton with their performances affected by what's going on.

Theres a lot of non-football people at United and I suspect the problem lies there.

How did the non football people leave Haaland free at the back post for City's second goal last Sunday? Ten Hag got that team comfortably into the top 4 last season. He bought a goalie,midfielder and striker during the summer to bolster the squad and now suddenly they are 10 times worse this season(with the caveat they have had a lot of injuries to contend with). Now how have the non footballing people been at fault for that?

Did Ten Hag decide on who they were signing?

If you have non-football people in the ear of players talking about money it's going to affect them.

As for the Haaland thing, the ball shouldn't be getting there.

• Advertisement

Bar Mason Mount I would say yes he did decide who he wanted to sign,and maybe he did want Mount. Onana,Martinez,Amrabat,Anthony and Hoijlund are his players.

Who would be in the ears of players talking to them about money and what exactly would they be saying that means the players won't perform on the field?

Do you know this or are you guessing?

Money men would be in the ears of players advising them of things they can do like attending charity events and acting a certain way, all of which would enhance the image of the club, and telling them they'll get better contracts and more sponsors if they do these things.

The player them becomes more eager to make money than play football.

I reckon you are the only one guessing around here,so all the utd players are too busy attending charity events and making money to put in an effort on the field?

And this is the reason Utd are so poor this season? I presume the players didn't attend any charity events last season? Between this and the socks been too tight on the players legs I must say the excuses are becoming more far fetched by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

There are a lot of rival fans with some seriously surface level takes on Utd and then trying to pass them off as a "I told you so" when the club is struggling.

A vast majority of Utd fans know/knew the squad as a whole isn't good enough and that is being laid bare with the injuries.

Our 1st team with everyone fit is a team good enough for top 4. The players in and around after that are far off that level. The transfer dealing at the club over the last 10 years are catching up now. The money that was there before is no longer there.

Then when you add in players like Casemiro and Varane starting the season badly because the squad is /has been so poorly assembled there is nobody who can step in and operate to any kind of acceptable level. So the club is always in this situation where a handful of injuries or loss of form means the whole team is fucked.

Look at some of the players who have started games for Utd in the last couple of weeks and ask yourself would these players get a game at any other top10 club. Some of them would do well to get games in the prem full stop.

THIS IS A FAILING OF THE GLAZERS!! THE OWENERS!! AND THOSE THEY HAVE PUT IN PLACE!

I understand the Glazers owning Man Utd is a wet dream to many as they have managed to take English football's biggest club and turn them into also rans!! You can see that in the posts in here - they want another manager sacked so the club starts the cycle over again. A pointless cycle because it will get to this same point again in 18-24 months.

The Glazers from day 1 have been out of their depth at this level but they had David Gill and SAF covering their arses on and off the field until 2013. Once they had to hire or put in place their own structure they fucked it up and never even came close to correcting that. Not sure it even comes across their minds.

The squad is bloated with players who are under talented and under motivated for the level we are trying to get to. They are then over paid for this lack of talent and as a result cannot be moved on. Which tells you everything about them - nobody else values them at the level Utd have put them on money wise.

If you go down to your local car dealer and buy a Nissan Micra off them for 150k that car isn't going to turn into a supercar magically once you take it to the track. It will still be a 1.0 litre Micra no matter what fee you give for it.

We have overpaid because nobody at the top end of the club has a clue what they are at. Now we can't move them on and as such cannot free up wages or money to bring in what the team needs.

The manager is not totally faultless over these last few weeks - he has for sure made strange calls. But I can say now with total confidence there is no manager who will come in and single handedly clear this mess up. None. Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti, Zidane whoever else you want to throw in.

Hell you could clone a 50 year old SAF and he'd still fail with this setup.

If there isn't a correct structure in place above the manager they are destined to fail - there is no other top club in Europe who is run like Utd. It is the owners responsibility to put that structure in place or hire someone who can. When they don't then the failing on the pitch ultimately sit at their door.

The results of the Glazers are very much on the pitch.

ETH has for me anyway done very good work so far but the size of the task was always going to mean it would never be a straight forward rise to the top. There will be difficult periods and there will be shite results. But I'd rather sit and wait with ETH for another 2 seasons and then take stock than sack him and start the process all over again.

We picked ETH because we believed he was the right man to take the club in the right direction - we cannot do a U turn on that at the first sign of trouble. It is only 8 months since he won us our first trophy in 6 years.

I fully agree that there is not a manager on the planet who is going to be successful at United. I genuinely laugh when I hear people say that they should get De Zerbi, or point at Postecoglou and say "look what he did at Spurs".

De Zerbi or Ange would fail at United. Pep or Klopp would fail at United, because they would not get the one thing that defines their times at Liverpool and City. Total support and backing from the board.

Its not about net spend, we all know United have wasted huge money. Its about a solid foundation that lets a manager control a group of players and then get the best out of them. United are the opposite of that, the players have free reign and the manager can do little about it because the foundations of the entire club are so dysfunctional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I get that the manager is pretty much set up to fail at United, but the idea that he hasn't got a strong squad is pretty mental. The coaches at the top of the league have actually improved the players at their disposal, Ten Hag doesn't seem to be doing that. Are we saying McTominay, Lindelof, Dalot etc. wouldn't be squad players at Arsenal, United, Spurs and Newcastle? They absolutely would.

To improve the players you need to be in charge. It needs to be a situation that they follow your instructions and do what they are told, thats where the improvement comes from.

That hasn't happened for any manager since Fergie, why? Because the club is a mess structurally and the players don't actually have to do what they are told.

That is the current culture in the playing squad and until that is completely washed out it nothing will change.

Do you really believe this is how high functioning teams operate nowadays, in ANY industry? LOL, Leadership of i tell you what to do, you do what you are told, and then you are successful '??

Welcome to the 21st century man! That type of crap had limited success 50 years ago, worked up to a point when Fergie came to united, but was running out of legs by the time he left. It may be the reason why his players were almost without exception failures as managers, eg. Keano!

If this is really the mindset of United and their supporters, then no wonder they are in the mess they are in.

• Advertisement

You are being as naive as you think I am. Ironically.

Why do you assume strong leadership and control means authoritarian taskmaster? Because I don't.

Do you really for one second think that the Man City players don't do what Pep says? Why do you think that is?

And if you accept that Pep is in control, follow that thought to see why Ten Hag is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

EtH has completed undermined his own leadership. To have total control of players you need their respect more than you need the full support of the Board, whatever that means. Pep and Klopp get the full respect from the players because of how the manage players. Look at how Pepe treated Erling Halaand at half time against Burnley. He's willing to give him a bollocking when he isn't palying well but then you see EtH talking about Rashford being undroppable despite the fact he's been awful all season. I dont know how any United player csnt look at how He's treated Bruno and Rushford this season compared to Maguire et al and not lose respect for EtH. He seems all over the place.

Exactly the poor mouth is a bit hard to take Newcastle humiliated them on Wednesday night with a team with 6 full backs in it. Joel Glazer isn't responsible for a team set up with now absolutely no midfield or defensive structure that's down to the manager.

How is it that teams like City Liverpool Arsenal Spurs Newcastle Villa Brentford even Wolves can still set up and look well coached when they have injuries and Manchester United can't? That is squarely down to the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

You do need a manager who the players believe is strong enough. To sell them. Like Pep did with Cancelo at the first whiff of trouble. Gone. All the City players know that Pep has that power. Klopp has it too. So does Arteta. Remember when Jose left Utd? He fell out with Pogba and eventually the board got rid of Jose, other factors were in play as well.

But as someone earlier pointed out, you need a sporting director. Then you might not have a load of duds, represented by the same agent as your manager, land at your club. Not necessarily saying that’s what happened Ten Hag, but it happened Wolves.

Post edited by doc_17 on

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Lauras Law

How can you say Liverpool look well coached when they have injuries? People have short memories because Liverpool were a basket case last year. They finished with 27% less points than they scored the season prior. Look at the season when they were Champions (2020-21). They had an injury crisis at CB and ended up finishing the season with 30% less points than they scored the season prior.

Currently United are on course to finish with 21% less points than the previous season. Obviously some leeway is needed with this figure since it's different teams they played in the first 10 games last season. But it's just an indicator. There's no denying ten Hag has made some poor decisions this season tactically. But his first choice back 4 have all been out with long term injuries. His DM in and out this season with fitness issues. And a new GK trying to settle into the team with all this going on in front of him. That doesn't excuse some of the attacking players for their lackluster efforts. But it's totally naive of you to say this doesnt happen at other clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Klopp and Pep would bring success to Utd and if not then they would be gone within a year. They rarely if ever buy players that they have worked with before. They set the tone from bottom up; everyone in the club is appreciated, everyone works for each other....if you don't then it is handled and players move on, especially with City they move players who would still get in their starting matchday squads on but rarely with too much internal hassle.

Their current manager has spent a lot of money; if he is not involved on who is being purchased then why stay there.

Buying aging Real Madrid stars for huge money & salaries is about hoping for a short term gain; the likes of Casimiro & Varane have played in a slower league with less games moving to a more physical league & more games; over a 4 year contract you will be lucky if you get one good year.

Utd need a 5yr plan; forgot about the big names; forgot about winning the league and CL and build a young motivated team that is a product of a manager that is capable of doing that.

Always hard to know what players earn but from looking at a few sites, they have about 7 players on £250K per week; it takes an unique manager to get the best out of those players when things are not going well.

They will probably beat Fulham & Copenhagen & all will be ok again:)

• Advertisement

Liverpool were falling from a much higher position in both those years and while they had some bad performances in those 2 seasons they never looked in any way as poorly coached and disorganised as Manchester United do now.

What style of football does Ten Hag play? I can't see any when I look at them.

Exactly. You manage the players that is your job. You can be a hardass but you ultimately have to put your arm around a player. Having public spats with players is doing nothing to endure yourself to the rest of the squad. I'm sure he's an excellent coach, but top managers are rare because it takes a special skill set you can't learn on your uefa training course. Pep, Klopp, Fergie, Ancelloti they all have charisma, this fella has none.

Because of the football structure/Glazers, ETH shouldn't be in charge of recruitment, but he is. And that side has failed for him.

If we ignore the recruitment side, what players can ETH say that he has genuinely improved as a player from coaching, development and/or positional changes? It's probably more of a question than Man Utd fans can answer better than anyone else.

I've seen some comments that AWB is an important player now so maybe he has improved. But he didn't exactly have a high starting point.

Shaw had a good spell last year but his career has been full of purple patches.

The same can be said of Rashford who had an above ordinary few months last year where he scored from December to February.

I wouldn't say any of the defenders, Bruno, Eriksen, Martial, McTominay, Sancho, etc have improved as overall players at all. Some have regressed.

I could be wrong there, and happy to discuss that, but if the players are not improving then that is on the manager. If that's the case, the recruitment has to be spot on, but it is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I don't want to get drawn into the discussion other than to say that's a ridiculous way to measure coaching abilities, you must have looked through a lot of statistics to find something to argue your case with, there's so many variables from season to season, some years the bottom teams don't make any attempt at staying up, some years there are multiple teams there are multiple teams competing for the league, some years there are bad reffing decisions, how far clubs get in cups,so many variables that using % of the previous years points to measure how well a team is coached is just not a good way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

I wonder if this is just a "just in case incestigstion" or if there is something concrete behind it. If there is something concrete behind it that would be quite an incredibly display of stupidity from Tonali.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement