Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ev fan

I have just done this. Only outstanding item was tyre recall which was completed today. Assuming that I am still to get 3.2.1 there seems to be no mention of this anywhere and the dealer is saying I'm up to date............. something doesn't compute - I will contact the dealer again in a few days- they are supposed to be investigating further.

If 3.2.1 is not listed there you already have it from new.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anyone care to give a long term review of the car.

Really interested in this car for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Have mine over a year now and have to say i love it .I left it in there recently for software update and battery module check , took 2 days and unfortunately it had battery module fault , so they had to order parts and i had to leave in for another 2 days , was given a loaner of another Cupra Born so Wasn't a problem. I find the car very comfortable and over all i'm very happy i bought it , so yea go for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ev fan

I have the Born only since February this year but traded out of a VW id3 that I had for 2 years prior to that. The Born is essentially the same car functionally as the ID3 being built on the same platform with the same battery/motor etc on the same assembly line. So the Born has the same high quality smooth driving with excellent pick up and handling as the ID3. It differs a lot on its external looks and very significantly on the internal cabin quality- simply put it has much more characterful looks with a real handsome presence on the road. With sports seats as standard, a proper console dividing driver and passenger and the use of nice tactile materials, copper detailing etc and minimal black plastics. Bigger info screen with proper placement of light switches etc. Check out Neil Briscoe review of the Born- ignore his comments on the E-Boost and despite his criticism the infotainment system works generally fine but of course there are better/ more slicker systems out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Had mine since last September, overall very happy with the car.

Apologies if this is a long read!

Coming from a high spec Mk7.5 Golf 1.0 petrol DSG wanting something with a bit more power, by the time I was ordering everything sporty was out of my €40-45k price range and the Born fit the bill nicely.

I think a lot of people were overly critical on some things. Reviewers all complained about the steering wheel buttons but they're fine. They're touch sensitive but with haptic feedback so there's a click and I very rarely something by mistake.

The interior quality is fine, people think it's not up to par for the price you're paying which is true to an extent but the cost of cars has gone up so it's not like you're paying premium brand prices. There's a few small negatives like no rear vents and no sunglasses holder in the roof but there's ample storage behind the cupholders and under the armrest.

The standard seats don't have adjustable lumbar support, if you have a bad back you might want to upgrade to the electric alcantara seats which also have a tilt adjustable base and extendable thigh support.

There's no rear speakers but I barely noticed it on my test drive and even removed the Beats upgrade from my order. There's 5 speakers in the front.

Some people have complained about ride comfort, I'm on 20" wheels and I don't have an issue as it's very similar to my Golf that's also on sport suspension. There's optional adaptive suspension which softens/stiffens depending on the road you're on, you can also use the custom drive profile to leave it in full comfort. Don't be put off by the bigger 19/20" wheels, the 20" wheels have a similar tire profile to the 17" on my Golf so it's not like you're driving around on super low profile tyres.

The car drives nice, power is more than adequate especially with the instant acceleration when overtaking. I would say avoid the eboost as it's not worth the extra cost. The HUD is a gimmick. There's no blind spot as standard but visibility is decent, the rear window is a bit narrow but reversing camera has a very good view. The car has park assist as standard which gives it extra parking sensors on the wheel arches.

The rear camera is unfortunately uncovered so it gets dirty, there's a camera washer but it won't get rid of dried in dirt. Sometimes when driving in the rain it gets covered in droplets and I need to use the washer to clear them, not a big deal as it becomes muscle memory. I just give it a quick wipe with my finger when getting into the car every now and then.

Very happy with the car. Nice styling inside and out, nice spec as standard. Comfortable seats, nice driving position and good power.

Another big advantage is being on an EV platform is more interior space. I can fit a baby seat behind my driving position with room to spare and I'm 6'4, I definitely can't do that in my Golf.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

New cars have pressable steering wheel buttons and speakers in the rear, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Since when? I'm looking at a few nearly new models and thought they were all the same as the original layout.

• Advertisement

My May build has pressable buttons. They look they same, and are haptic too, but you can press them. Speakers in the rear are since August or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Good to know, I have haptic buttons in my ID.3. They're not as terrible as some people make out but I would prefer actual buttons.

The speakers in the rear makes no difference to me. I have often disconnected them in other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Ah feck sake...

It goes through phases of that shyte and then stops again😠

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Is that after the software update? I got that all the time before update, but dont anymore thankfully. Hope its a thing of the past for me?

After the update. First time I've seen it since I've had the car back.

Not sure if the 3.2.1 update was to fix that issue specifically or it was a separate fix at the same time. Strange to see it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Comer1

On the ID.4 also, incredibly annoying. If you press cancel, it keeps coming back and if you press OK, it changes settings such as air con etc.

There's a software update to fix that

• Advertisement

I've had the 3.2.1 software update, battery check and the new settings bug had supposedly been fixed. I'm not sure if 3.2.1 is a direct fix for the new settings bug or there's a separate fix altogether but my ambient lighting settings have remained when the bug would cause them to reset to orange. So it seems some stuff is fixed.

I need to bring the car back anyway to have the climate control looked at as 3.2.1 has stopped it working properly but I'm due to start paternity leave and waiting for my baby to be born so will be a few weeks before I get it booked in. Went to wash the car last week and the wipers wouldn't go into service mode so whatever they fixed in 3.2.1 seems to have added other random bugs.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I am looking to change my car in the new year and toying with making the switch to an EV and in particular the Born.

I am hoping the current owners can answer a few questions.

Motorway driving I read you should keep speeds to a minimum of 100kph and not 120kph to conserve the battery. Has anyone here done long trips doing the max speed who can give feedback on the battery performance?

In the winter and colder spells, how much deterioration do you see in your battery when fully charged from say a range of 425km max? I have seen people mention that 20% is expected across all Evs.

All EVs benefit from dropping speed to 100 rather than 120. I don't bother really, it's too slow for cross country driving. I'd still get about 290kms at 120kmph but nobody goes from 100 to 0% really.

My long term average is 15.4 kWh per 100kms based on the onboard computer, not sure how accurate that is. That would give me an average range per 100% charge of about 370kms although I don't believe I got this, more like 340 or so. That's over a full year, and our 4 seasons. You will never get 425kms from the 58 battery unless you drive like an experiment.

Range is noticeably lower now than in the summer. If average is 340 I'd say summer is 380 and winter 300.

Apart from range, it's a decent car and I like it. Boot not huge but it's big enough for me. Doesn't have the software problems that the early ID cars have. It looks good, drives well and is reasonably efficient for an EV, only really Tesla's have better efficiency so it's cheap enough to run. Will be more efficient than the SUVs out there anyway due to being smaller, lower, lighter and more aerodynamic shape.

I'd be wary buying one just yet, or any EV really, there's price drops coming in the market (in my opinion) and you could end up losing a decent chunk of money. Defo dont spec one up into the high 40k range anyway. Get a base model, it has plenty of kit. Maybe look at a demo model if there is one available you like saving a few thousand. I think I've suffered big deprecation if I tried change now after 14 months, but happy to keep it.

Any other specific questions on the car, just ask.

ICE cars also benefit from driving at 100km/h range wise also in case it's not obvious.

This answered everything and a little more. I don't think I could do the 100kpm limit when you can go 120kph and see loads of cars passing. I do the occasional long trip and with some planning I can easily plan a stop and charge along the way.

I am looking at both a Tesla and Born for next year but like you, I expect to see a drop in prices coming soon. A lot of dealers are already advertising price drops trying to clear stock for the new year and I can see more in 2024.

I do long work trips in it. Antrim, limerick and cork. All from Dublin. Have chargers at some destinations now but didn't for a while and it was grand, chargers on all routes with a 20 to 30 min stop seemed to be always enough. I'd say the Tesla is a better EV and has the better network for now, I just don't particularly like them.

I am not sold on the Tesla even though it has a better battery and range. I was stopped in Kilcullen on the M7 recently and saw they have two chargers, one being a 150kW. There were between 4 and 5 EVs all waiting to use the chargers. This garage itself could do it with more chargers, it seems a slow process to role them out.

I've never actually had to queue myself maybe I'm just lucky. I use the ionity or apple green on the n7 near Dublin or use Cashel sometimes, ionity again.

Plug and charge is very handy for ionity, probably a bit expensive but simple to use.... I've only public charged once, you'd think I was a battle scarred veteran 😎

• Advertisement

Buddy Bubs pretty much summed it up. Basically, if you're looking for a hatchback sized car with that budget and don't want a Tesla it's a strong contender.

I see around 25% loss in Winter. I can just about squeeze 400km in Summer and get around 300km in Winter. That's with heat on at 20C, heated seats/steering wheel on regularly and handful of 120kph trips. If you're driving across the country, doing mostly 120kph you'd see even less range.

Obviously doing 100kph helps a lot but if you're on a long drive it can be a painful experience. Dropping the cabin temperature can help too, let the heated seat and steering wheel do the work. I set my Golf to 20C and in the Born I can get away with 18C, the heated steering wheel is a huge plus for me when driving as I get cold hands.

Advertisement