Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thats my reading of it- if this was a jury trial influencing them to find not guilty I think they might have had a good chance of success with that argument. In terms of this hearing and the sentence, it’s a US judge and a middle class white family- my gut feeling is the decision has already been made here on the sentence which will be extremely light, and the groundwork to justify that sentence is now simply being heard in court now.

It’s rubbish yes- the brutality of the crime is certainly not justified by this flimsy evidence- but I feel this is a case the prosecution just want off their desk - the defence are going hell for leather with this angle of “feared for her life”- you can see the headlines this is generating - the public are being slowly groomed to accept that this was a somewhat justified killing and sentence will be time served with probation of a number of years. Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hyper emotion, yes. That's evidently the state you are in otherwise you wouldn't keep coming back on the hour to spread the same baseless opinion absence of evidence conversation.

But sure look , you can pretend to yourself your playing the ball and not the man but there's an entire thread of evidence to demonstrate otherwise.

I put it to you. You enjoy being contrary... for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,986 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But sure look , you can pretend to yourself your playing the ball and not the man

You are the only playing the man.

It sounds like you want to discuss me and not the actual case.

So we will have to leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

If the conclusions do not follow the findings in the report then anyone can cast doubts about the report creator.

If in a report I say "I tested the colour of the sky for being red, yellow and green, and the tests were negative, I therefore conclude the sky is blue" then the conclusion does not follow the report.

• I would very much doubt he had anything to do with the death of his first wife. Sometimes Irish autopsies are as good or bad as the sometimes inadequate MRI reports. The fact she was being treated for severe asthma & her manner of death would have guided the doctor performing the autopsy to look for certain things but the autopsy would much less likely to be as comprehensive as in a suspected crime case. I suspect in the US more extensive autopsies may be more commonplace.

• Advertisement

Maybe because her story doesn't help the defence at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As suspected the caricature of contrary.

You know well as pointed multiple times on thread the blood splatter indicates a prone individual beneath covers in the bed.

I don't know about you but that indicates sleeping and someone outside the bed standing over them doing the bludgeoning.

None of which points to your assertion of self defence of strangulation.

Playing the contrary is part of this game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

If Molly's mother and/or sister were credible witnesses at all, surely the prosecution would have put them in the witness box during the actual trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

If he said what the reports said he did then yes a clown

With all his unlimited resources he managed to read a document

Wow

People's knowledge on this case is hilariously paper thin

• Advertisement

Would the defense not have called her

They kept her out of it to keep things simple

Why did they drive 5 hours to be there on the night with no plausible reason given

• Registered Users Posts: 39,986 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So there was no evidence he was sleeping? Okay, we can draw a line through that one so.

There was blood on the soles of his feet, indicating he was moving around.

There was also doubt cast on the prosecutions blood spatter expert. Apparently he helped write the manual on blood spatter, but failed to follow it.

It's one of the reasons the prosecution have now changed tact and are suggesting that Tom Martins misinterpreted the situation when he came into the room that Jason did have Molly in some sort of headlock but he was actually defending himself.

Which is more plausible to a point when looking at the evidence.

The evidence that he was very much awake was precluded from the first trial.

Namely Sarah telling the social workers that she had a nightmare, had gone into her parents room and this had caused an argument which it had done in the past.

Again the prosecution have to changed the narrative because of new evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭plodder

So, are you saying that because the report failed to record the evidence of her severe asthma, that justifies saying the conclusion was "completely wrong"? I'm not sure the report of a coroner into a non-suspicious death should be relitigated like this. It sounds like desperation to me.

If it was deemed she was an unreliable witness, then it would explain why neither prosecution or defence called her as a witness.

Provide some evidence to back up what you said

Unreliable in what way, she was there in the night, it would want to be remarkable to not call her

It obvious she was lying and couldn't keep her story straight, surely this would look good for the prosecution

The report stated she had a known asthma condition and so concluded the death was due to an asthma attack, but it seems the report didn't include evidence of a severe asthma attack. In which case the reports conclusion should have been inconclusive. If it was an asthma attack the next questions are, what triggered the attack? Was there any evidence of an irritant, swelling in the airways etc?

Well for starters, I understand it was said she and her husband were woken by a disturbance upstairs. Her husband went up to investigate but she went back to sleep. So all she really witnessed was sounds of a disturbance upstairs.

However, that begs more questions than answers. If it sounded like a serious disturbance, why did she go back to sleep?

If a witness says they saw the man kill the other man with a knife, they might make a good witness for the prosecution. But if they later say they saw the man kill the other man with a screwdriver, they become less reliable. If they then say they saw the man use a shovel, then you may not be confident of what they will say on the stand. That could be a feeling shared by both the prosecution and the defence.

If one of the witnesses is obviously lying you show this

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sooner this bint is electrocuted along with her knobhead father the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭plodder

I imagine the main question relevant here, was if there was evidence of foul play, and I presume the report is on solid ground on that. Either way, I'm not getting into that kind of discussion. My only point was it seems weird that a one-sided critique of a coroner's report was allowed like that. That's all I'm going to say on it.

You're missing the point. An unreliable witness doesn't mean they are lying. It means they are unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Now she's claiming she was forced into sex and was choked out during sex each time getting worse

If the position of the prosecution is that there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death of Mr corbetts first wife, and that the mother and the sister of the first wife could corroborate that, then the prosecution could have called them to be witnesses.

I don’t know what use they would be to the defense?

The report didn't show evidence of foul play. However it didn't support the conclusion either. The expert witness was asked could foul play been a factor, and he said yes. If the report is in the public domain, it is open to interpretation and critique by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

From the RTE website. If you read it through the expert says that the the report didn't contain a cause of death, he also said that there was no strangulation attempt on Molly.

A pathology expert called by the state prosecutors to rebut two defence experts claims about the cause of Mrs Corbett's death said Irish medical reports did not show any cause of death.

Dr George Nicholls, a veteran forensic pathologist and former chief pathologist of the State of Kentucky, told Assistant District Attorney Alan Martin that he had received and reviewed a post-mortem examination report, a coroner's report and medical records from Limerick over the summer, to give evidence for the prosecution.

Asked if he agreed with the pathology report that described the cause of death as an acute cardio respiratory attack following acute bronchospasm in a known asthmatic, Dr Nichols said he did not agree.

He said fatal asthma attacks are marked by over inflation of the lungs due to an inability of gas to escape.

Dr Nichols said the two-page pathology report from Limerick made no mention of the state of the lungs, nor was the upper respiratory tract removed and manually assessed by the pathologist.

Because of that he rejected the claim that Ms Corbett died from an asthma attack.

Asked about claims made by two defence expert witness reports on the same material, which said it was possible Ms Corbett's death was due to homicide, Dr Nichols said it was possible.

Dr Nichols then listed a whole series of tests and checks that had not been recorded in the pathology report. He said: "We have nothing to indicate the cause of death of this woman."

He added that there was no information in the report to indicate any sign of choking or asphyxiation.

Dr Nicholls also rejected defence expert testimony on an alleged strangulation attempt on Molly Martens Corbett the night Mr Corbett was killed.

He said one of the experts had taken what is possible and made it into something plausibly probable without any basis in science.

• ige is a common post-mortem finding. As I said before I would imagine the post-mortem was not extensive in view of the case presentation.

Re triggers for asthma, when you are prone there can be numerous triggers, ranging from allergens, pollutants, to exercise & cold air. Plain rhinovirus is a known trigger, and is most common cause of my own usually minor attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What in earth are you talking about “he read a document”. He reviewed all the information retrieved from Ireland namely : a post-mortem examination report, a coroner's report and medical records from Limerick. He read them from the point of view of the prosecution. He read them based on his own academic qualifications and long experience.

The judge accepts his qualifications to give evidence in this case but you don’t? Oh dear, what should we do?

• Advertisement

Advertisement