Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

He’s played over 1200 top 14 minutes as a 21 year old which is pretty good.

Daniel is probably 15kgs heavier than ANY LHP in Ireland. Maybe munster could use him? They probably want to get bigger up front. I honestly don’t rate him tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Josh is getting lots of playing time. He is a good prospect.

I don't want Leinster to sign him. He's been brought up in the forum. Why not discuss it?

I'd prefer Leinster go with McGuore as much as possible. Unless they are signing Antonio, there's really no value to bringing in a depth guy .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Fully in agreement. Just because they don't play in Ireland. Doesn't automatically make them better. In fact normally the opposite is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

I agree somewhat, I don't think Jaeger would bring much to the table, he also clearly wants to be an All Black, which currently looks unlikely. If McGuire can keep up his performances of locking out the scrum and making a few tackles the next year he should move up to 3rd choice tighthead, but we can't really rely on him as 2nd choice, he has a good bit of physical development to go even though he is quite a large fella and has the frame for it. I wouldn't want to be going into next season with him being the URC starter and benching for URC games unless he develops quite a bit this year.

That means we kind of have to make a signing at tighthead whether that is IQ or NIQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

A couple of times Trevor Brennan was asked and he said the kids are french and see themselves as french. I know one of them played for France U20 and not sure who they currently play with, but wasn't a few whispers around years ago the IRFU approached and they had no interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Team is out. Great to see Jack Boyle and James Culhane getting more starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I always believe that the academy should take priority when it comes to replacing players in the Leinster set up. The Leinster academy is one of if not the best academy in world rugby. However, I am also an advocate of not pushing players into the spotlight too early and giving them ample time to continue to develop comfortably. I think it is too early for the likes of Jack Boyle, Rory McGuire and Paddy McCarthy to make a sizeable impact and think it would be beneficial for Leinster to replace the vast experience you are losing with Ala'alatoa and Healy potentially both heading out the door.

I'm not saying bring in a world beater to come off the bench but at least bring in someone who will immediately be impactful off the bench and provide additional experience to the younger members of the squad. At max I would be giving out a two year contract, by the middle of year two, the likes of Boyle, McCarthy and McGuire will have probably surpassed them and that player can find another club.

I brought up Oli Jager as a replacement as I don't think it is any harm to try and bring back an Irish qualified player who has played in one of the toughest leagues in the world, at worst you get a slight downgrade over Ala'alatoa, which if that is the case, you proceed with an academy player. At best he might step up his game back in Ireland and provide great depth for Leinster maybe even push for Ireland consideration. People are quick to throw slights at him regarding his ability but he was in consideration for potentially being called up to the all blacks not long ago so he can't be that bad!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There are three Brennans. Two at Toulouse and one at Brive. The only remotely interesting one would be Dan but he hasn't kicked on at all since the U20s and has moved to LHP where he's just broken through as a starter in the ProD2.

Leinster should be aiming higher, realistically.

• Advertisement

Looking at the team for this week, it's still a good mix of experience and youth. Edinburgh look very strong. I'm not very confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Surely Baird and McCarthy could have been named on the bench, they've played very few games these last 2 months and give us impact against a strong Edinburgh team who's front row will give us trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I was also initially surprised there were zero players back from international camp. McCarthy was definitely pictured in training, not sure if Baird was, but I was expecting one or two to start drip feeding into the matchday 23.

Looking at the other provinces however, Crowley is the only one featuring for their province this weekend, and I'd imagine that's because Munster don't have any other 10s with Healy gone and Carbery injured again. Of course, more than half the Irish World Cup squad came from Leinster so we have a lot more players away, but maybe it's still consistent with all the other provinces.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Looking at the other provinces however, Crowley is the only one featuring for their province this weekend

Casey's starting too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

No Will Connors in the squad. It must be a matter of time before he ends up elsewhere at this rate.

Unless they're being cautious with his minutes.

If he was fit enough to come off the bench last week for 30 minutes and there's no injury, I wouldn't see any reason why he wouldn't be in the 23 outside of him no longer being in Leo's mind as good enough for the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I can already see him at Ulster next season with Dave Ewers and Nick Timoney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Think it's more likely that Connors is injured than not selected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Would certainly align with his track record...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Nel vs Boyle might well be the making of him.

Nel a wily, old school and grizzled scrummager. Undoubtedly the biggest test of Boyles fledgling career.

One performance wont make a man but if he has parity here it bodes very very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Probably also worth noting that if he does end up getting minced, that doesn't mean that he's shîte and we should all hit the panic button and sign every loosehead in world rugby.

True. Boyle is learning on the fly. Either way, the experience gained these last few weeks are invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

100% agree. Its great to see all these younger players coming through. Its not perfect but enjoyable.

Much better than wInning these first few games by 40 points with 14 internationals in the squad

This time 4 years ago after the world cup the likes of Jimmy o brien, Doris, Kelleher, keenan were getting some decent game time for the first time. Hopefully the players now getting ther opportunities have similar world cup cycles.

There's lots of experience around the young lads too. This run of matches is testing them and so far they've treaded water, imo.

I'm not a fan of Frawley at fb. It's as if they can't find a position for him. I'd have liked to see Cosgrove get a start.

To me he is an excellent option at 15, big tall lad who is good in the air, decent pace, good passing game, great boot on him etc. I would have picked him as a 15 before a 12

Both stayed the entire warm up squad and World Cup, McCarthy playing in the last game. Not sure if it is the amount of minutes played in regards to who gets more or less time off. I guess they have given the players the option

I did see one of the Bok squad players, not sure how many minutes he played, but he returned to his French club immediately after the final as they are near the bottom of French league. It was his decision

Im not suggesting the players should be made to return either.

Next week for Baird. McCarthy and Conan? It's away to Dragons. Maybe we get Milne back and Henshaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm sick as a dog today, so two tickets going free to whoever wants them for today's Edinburgh game. PM email address.

I know tickets aren't at a premium for today's game, and there will be plenty of empty seats, but still. Might save someone a few bob.

• Advertisement

Much preferring Joker and the Thief as the walk-out music over whatever that house shïte was last year.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

Advertisement