Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

I believe the returning players are taking 2-3 weeks at least

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Pretty poor performance all told, and lucky to come away with the draw... I'd only be re-iterating what others have said RE: Ahern, Nankivell and PFP.

Joey, after an very encouraging performance last week, followed it up with a very poor performance his week. And therein lies the rub with Joey. Some of his kicking from hand in particular. Benetton away, with the 2nd string is exactly the type of game you'd want him to impose himself on a bit.

Thought Benetton were lucky to escape a yellow for the persistent infringements. Also thought Frisch put in a huge amount of work at the ruck, similar to last week, one of the better starters.

Very much a case of early season, take you 2 points and move onto the next one tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

I thought we looked leaderless, no one seemed to be trying to gee up the players. We must have the worlds quietest 10 in Joey. When things are going badly he seems to go into himself. JOD also seemed quiet on the TV. Be interested on what people who were at the game thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Officials for Saturday's game v Dragons

Munster v Dragons RFC

Musgrave Park, Cork – KO 17.15 IRE & UK / 18.15 ITA / 19.15 SA

Referee: Sam Grove-White (SRU, 36th league game)

AR 1:  Dan Carson (IRFU) AR 2: Sam Holt (IRFU)

TMO: Mike Adamson (SRU)

Live on: RTÉ, S4C, Viaplay, Premier Sports, SuperSport, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Looks like Scannell could be starting at 10 this weekend. Casey is back with the squad. Although we could have done with one of Loughman or Killer returning too.

On the international front, Craig Casey has rejoined squad training following his World Cup involvement with Ireland.

On the injury front, Paddy Patterson (knee) and Seán O’Brien (thigh) made their first appearances of the season against Treviso on Sunday after recovering from injuries with O’Brien making his Munster debut.

There is good news for Liam Coombes (thigh) and Jack O’Sullivan (knee) as they both return to training this week.

Josh Wycherley is being treated for a neck injury and will be unavailable this week.

Joey Carbery picked up a wrist injury against Benetton on Sunday and will go for a scan today to further assess.

Niall Scannell and Andrew Conway are both unavailable for the weekend.

• Advertisement

Very mixed bag of news wrt injury updates.

Poor and all that Joey was last Saturday he'll be a loss next week.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Surely if they feel that Butler has the ability to make the step up then Dragons at home is the time to give him a start at 10 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

yeah only reason i could see for RS starting at 10 would be if he's likely to be squad cover for 10 in some of the bigger games and they want to give him some minutes there. hope butler gets a go personally though

Butler hasn't been involved in the first two games, with Scannell covering 10. That's why I can see him starting on Saturday.

Although is the 9s are PFP and Casey then maybe they'll go with him.

So we could have them for the week leading up the Leinster match

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Going on that timeline you'd hope Crowley and some others return to training after this weekend. Will be three weeks since the QFs this Saturday. With the next fixture after Dragons being Ulster away could do with the internationals to even stack the bench with some quality.

Beirne and POM you'd imagine will get the four weeks off given the minutes they played. Return after the Ulster game for Stormers at home.

The Irish guys time is managed by the IRFU, they may well get more than the 3 to 4 weeks afforded to our NIQ players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jeff Neville is funnier than Tom Savage.

I know one or both of you lurk on here. Give Jeff a raise.

Casey straight back in. Butler in at 10 with Crowley on the bench (his return was kept quite). First starts for Nankivell and O'Brien.

Munster: Shane Daly; Seán O’Brien, Alex Nankivell, Rory Scannell, Calvin Nash; Tony Butler, Craig Casey; Kieran Ryan, Diarmuid Barron, John Ryan; Edwin Edogbo, Tom Ahern; Jack O’Donoghue (C), Alex Kendellen, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Mark Donnelly, Stephen Archer, Ruadhán Quinn, Brian Gleeson, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Ben O’Connor.

And Carbery is jinxed. He's having surgery on his wrist next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I like the look of the pack! Great seeing Ahern starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

To be fair, he'd make just as much of an impression during a game as he does off the field recovering from an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Loving Edogbo and Ahern in the row and backing Butler at 10. He was unplayable at times for Garryowen in AIL the last two years, hopefully some of it will translate on a nice quick 4G surface!

Is Frisch injured or just being rested? Good to see Butler given a start at 10 and young Ben O'Connor on the bench. Edogbo and Ahern starting together, love it. Pity there's no Kleyn and RG available cause a 6/2 bench with both lads replacing Edogbo and Ahern would be good to see.

Poor Joey, I know I wasn't happy with his performance last week but I wanted to see him back this week.

Great to see Casey & Crowley back and great to SOB & Nankivell starting. Odd that's there's no Frisch as he was doing media duty during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

With the Barbarians game this weekend the Dragons were always gonna be sending over a really weak side. Munster should rest any players who are carrying even slight knocks foe this game, maybe this is why Frisch is sitting it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

He was saying he's ready to cover 10 too. If he's not injured we'll definitely see him as the 24th man tomorrow.

Hopefully a rest for Frisch.

Any story on why Shay McCarthy is out?

No mention of him in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭50HX

Why would he need to rested on the 3rd game into the season?

Ulster away next week is a much tougher game so maybe keeping him fresh for that game while given others minutes against a weaker team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭50HX

Minutes into other players I agree with & I know its a squad balancing act but I'm really doubting the logic of how better off are we with less minutes into players, klyen being a good example last season, I think he played every game in the urc or v close to it

But I take your point on eyes on the ulster game

Would love to see Frisch get a crack at 13 for ireland, I think he's the closest thing we've got to a ringrose

And a case of "if we're going to give minutes to young lads, a weakened Dragons team, whenever that happens, is the time to do it"

I'm not sure it's about a rest after 3 weeks, it's probably with a view of what's ahead too and it's been a long pre-season so the coaches probably want to get a few more players into a few games too

Jean Kleyn is built different though. The lads a horse of a man 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭OldRio

Really good interview with Rowntree on RTE.

Advertisement