Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Those 1144 people are now completely outside the system though. They don't have a PPS number, cannot claim benefits or social welfare, don't have a medical card, cannot work or pay taxes, are not entitled to any state accommodation etc. Can they be a 'burden' to the country if they are not part of the system?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Discussion from Radio Kerry yesterday morning on the allocation of 70 IP applicants to a B&B in Killarney despite Kerry County Council saying that the county simply has no more capacity for additional arrivals

https://www.radiokerry.ie/podcasts/kerry-today/kerry-county-council-asks-dept-to-reconsider-plans-to-bring-80-international-applicants-to-killarney-november-2nd-2023-354479

Kerry now has 8,900 Ukrainians and over 800 IP applicants in the county

Roderic O’Gorman still has no room in his diary to speak to Radio Kerry about this issue.

Patience with the complete lack of communication from the Dept as outlined in the podcast was starting to wear thin by the end of last years winter season. It is not forthcoming this year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Tell that to the governments of Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland and even Sweden who just yesterday agreed to co-operate on returrning immigrants without legal residence to their countries of origin.

The Danes took a stronger stance on immigration as they saw the effects of mass immigration on Sweden and decided not to make those same mistakes while Sweden wanted to become a "moral superpower" and derided anyone that had concerns about mass immigration in such a short period of time. But now the worm has turned.

"However, the Danish model has become more popular as anti-immigration voices have gained traction across the Nordic region.

The Swedish government is looking towards Danish immigration policies as the country battles gang violence caused by "an irresponsible immigration policy and a failed integration," Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said last month.

"The Swedish government is truly looking at how the Danish government has worked with both fighting organised crime but also on migration issues," Sweden's Minister of Migration, Maria Malmer Stenergard said at the press conference."

Sweden, Denmark for slow learners.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Well it seems that the Ukrainians are being used almost as a battering ram to force these centres on many towns and villages, after about 6 - 12 months they are moved on and the centres are suddenly populated with IPAS migrants and the Ukrainians are moved on to force through new centres elsewhere.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

From citizens information site…

”person granted refugee status can apply for citizenship through naturalisation once they have 3 years of residency. Residency is calculated from the date of arrival in the State. Note: This does not apply to people who have subsidiary protection status”…

“subsidiary protection should serve as an additional form of international protection that is complementary to refugee status.”

all that is very telling…

my guess is that over 70% of people that arrived here because of this war or any conflict to receive international protection will in fact want to remain here indefinitely…. Also it stands to reason that tens of thousands of their friends and family members involved directly someway in conflict be it military, medical, logistics personnel will want to arrive here too, make a new home, be with their families and get out of dodge so to speak. All post war, whenever that will be.

so a change in numbers might be pretty negligible, in fact post war there could actually be a status quo in numbers or even a small net increase and the government of the day will struggle to say no… it will be a gift of an amnesty and citizenship for those wishing to stay and relatives still abroad fighting or assisting will be accepted too, there would be no temporary protection as they won’t need protection from anything so they would have to be classed as refugees coming from outside the EU…. I’m very serious when I’d say I’d put a grand of my own money on it playing out like that or a similar version….

Varadkar & Martin and the rest of the political cohort know exactly what’s in the pipeline and for months and months, their interactions with media and citizens has been increasingly and deliberately difficult, stuttering, vague, soft and contradictory….appalling behaviour, from individuals in their positions and with their responsibilities... Granted they’ll be under pressure from EU overlords and masters and others internationally but they have to put the wellbeing of Ireland and Irish citizens first and that’s all that there is to it… that is their responsibility, that is what they were voted in for….. not a single Irish citizen went to a voting booth….” Jeez I’ll vote for them, they really have their finger on the pulse of International problems and war, famine or global tragedy in X “….

In Germany, all is not rosy, as the government has to try and clean up Merkel's Mess. The recent pro Palestinian protests have led to a rise in anti semitic actions like putting star of David graffiti on Jewish houses or the firebombing of a synagogue has forced politicians to take a public stance against these actions. Chancellor Olaf Scholz has promised deportations on a grand scale. While opposition leader Frederick Merz has stated that parts of Germany aren't German enough.

This also crosses the political divide, now some on the left are calling for curbs on immigration. Sarah Wagenknecht is one such politician. She has said that there should be no neighbourhoods where locals are in the minority.

"I don't think there should be neighborhoods where the locals are in the minority and there shouldn't be school classes in which more than half of the children hardly speak German.*"

I wonder what the good people of Annamoe might say to that, given that there is a reception centre slated to house 950 "new to the parish" in a village of 250 people? If only we had politicians that would actually stand up for this.

The way things are going at the moment there is going to be a sea change in immigration policy where there are going to be deportations. Where are they going to go then? Any ideas? Just catch a plane over here and lose their documentation.

It's like a bad game of pass the parcel, everyone can hear the music slowing, but of course, our politicians still want to keep playing to the last and we'll be left holding the parcel and paying the price.

*this quote is an English translation of the German article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Fantastic radio report this morning on the Pat Kenny show - Not the first time Pat and Barry Whyte did a report on this shambles. I think that's where the stats quoted above came from

Incredibly enough, our PS broadcaster, RTE, don't seem to have the wherewithal to produce such a report (which may or may not have something to do with the millions they get from the public directly and through Govt bailouts) - So Newstalk seem to have taken up the mantle of a real PSB

Radio report is embedded in the report

As I said before, Govt have lost control of our borders and this ^ shows by how much

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is absolutely remarkable.

I continue to be amazed at what incompetence Ministers in this Government are allowed to get away with compared with Ministers of the past. This is incompetence on a whole new level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I heard that report on Newstalk this morning, unbelieveable and made me so angry! We are being taken for a ride and our government have let us down so badly. Future generations will wonder "what the f**k were they thinking?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I'm sure the American Indians are forever grateful to the Irish that landed on their shores .

Incredible to think the US soldiers used to make tobacco pouches out of the testicles of American Indians.

https://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~rfrey/329indian_wars.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Seems things are getting worse with this govevements immigration policy. Any resemblance of a cohesive plan has well and truly evaporated..

This Goverment and their NGO backers need to be removed. The next government will be half baked and I doubt it will last a term.

What happens after that is the big question.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

I find your point about some Cherokees (and their tobacco flavored ball sacks) in the 1800s to be pertinent to Irelands immigration situation in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Indo has a Ukraine diary every Saturday, today’s is a Ukraine woman living in Citywest hotel with her 13 year old son. She says most of the families living there are people with disabilities

She complains that it’s impossible to find a find a job in Ireland without English compared to Germany who put on courses 4 times a week. Also complains they have to find separate accommodation for their elderly parents unlike Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

"EG we have a Black History month, yet our Polish population is significantly larger and they don't get a damp Tuesday in November."

Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Not correct. I posted an article a week or so ago about a woman from Nigeria who was living in direct provision for 10 years who had a deportation order against her for 9 of those 10 years. She just had to report to the immigration officer every second week to report that she was here.

At first she couldn’t work or study during that time, but she had access to some courses. Then the rules were changed which allowed asylum seekers to work and study, so she could then go to college. She eventually got her residence permit here then which allowed her and her family to stay.

Having a deportation order against her didn’t seem to have any effect on her going about her business, it seems, and it bought her time to get her residency permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

One Native American tribe would tie up captives cut off their genitals and throw the victim still alive into a fire and they had done this to other Native American tribes before Europeans arrived. This was centuries ago, today Islamic terrorists film themselves decapitating babies and post these films to recruit members. Which is more concerning today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Annamoe - the owners of the estate know nothing about the plans. I don't believe this.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/count-and-supermodel-wife-neither-notified-nor-consulted-over-plans-to-house-950-refugees-at-glendalough-estate/a1932579734.html

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We're back to asking the public to put them up...

A large-scale advertising campaign will be rolled out in the coming days in a new push targeted at people who have vacant properties they would open up to refugees. The “Offer a Home” campaign will kick off next Monday and will feature adverts on bus shelters as well as in the media. It comes as the Government is considering imposing a 90-day limit on state accommodation for refugees arriving in Ireland, as well as cutting their welfare payments.

I presume that "nice little earner" for volunteers is still available? In effect then they're just shifting the payments from one provider to another, but it's all still at the taxpayer's expense!

Plus who mandated this "large scale advertising campaign"? More money squandered!

Here's another story from the last 48 hours..

So at a time when the first signs that the corporation tax take may be faltering are emerging, the Government have decided to spend money on advertising asking for homes for people who are already costing us a fortune we can ill afford, and reducing supply in the market still further when we can't even provide enough homes for our own people never mind anyone else!

Makes sense!! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

Is that the magic money tree dying?

Anyone get that quicksand feeling?

Sure will be interesting to see this time next Year if the Ukrainians remain on the luxury welfare package.

"There is growing alarm at the top level of Government about the future of corporation tax revenues, after exchequer returns published yesterday showed receipts from the tax plummeted for the third month in succession.

Compared with last year, receipts from corporation tax were down 45 per cent in October, following declines of 12 per cent in September and 36 per cent in August".

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

A nationwide advertising campaign to encourage people to provide rooms for Ukrainians would seem to be at odds with plans to reduce or do away with payments to people who provide rooms for Ukrainians.

Among the payments to be examined is the Accommodation Recognition Payment (ARP) which is a tax-free payment of €800 per month for each property used to provide accommodation to refugees from Ukraine.

https://archive.ph/Y1QDQ#selection-831.0-831.200

It couldn't possibly be that one part of government doesn't know what the other is doing. Nah, that would never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ti's one one of the reasons I try to pay as little tax as legally possible in this country as all they do with it is squander it on nonsense like you've shown, it gives me some little pleasure to do my shopping up north like I've done last weekend.. Little things give joy sometimes in the midst of the madness

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

"Speaking on Friday, several senior government sources said that the chances of reducing payments for migrants already here is “low” and there is a “high degree of caution” around that issue".

They really are as dumb as a box of rocks.

Cut it once, Cut it big (down to what those in direct provision receive €38) and get it over with.

I posted above, the corp tax receipts are dropping like a stone, at this rate we'll have a deficit this time next Year and just before an election.

What then?

"High degree of caution around that issue"

Why? Let's look at that a minute.. What are they afraid of?

- The Ukrainians themselves might object? Well frankly, tough! If they don't like the changes there's nothing forcing them to stay. They can go home (as many have for holidays or on the way for a better deal), or to any other country that'll take them in.

- The Irish electorate? No fear there I think. Quite the opposite in fact! Aside from a noisy minority, the vast majority of people seem to have realised the inequality of the current situation - with new arrivals not just being given things the natives have to jump through hoops for or were told wasn't possible (modular housing), but the effects on small communities of dumping huge numbers of these new arrivals into the area without consultation or warning hasn't sat well with people either in addition to the pressure it's putting on local services and infrastructure.

So it's unlikely to be either of those groups that are causing the Government concern then. What does that leave..

- NGOs. An entire industry has been established around supporting anyone with a sad story, but more than that it's a goldmine for the executives of these "charities" and a great job opportunity for the connected to be appointed/nominated to by their relatives and friends in the corridors of power.

- Property owners. Well the cosy relationship between Government and landlords is well known and long established in this country. A basic essential like a home has become an asset, a tradeable commodity whose profitability is to be maximised. So aside from hoteliers and commercial property owners who have done very well out of this "goodwill", you also have the smaller "volunteers" who are making coin from their charity - plus it's another way to brag to the neighbours and local community.. Something that we are obsessed with in this country back as far as the Tiger years.

- the EU. We already know that the main parties in this country are completely beholden to our European "friends" (much as they were to the Catholic Church in the past) and that the likes of Micheal Martin and Leo Varadkar are obsessed with being the best boys in the class and will ALWAYS put the requests/demands of the EU commission ahead of the best interests of this country or its citizens (it's only ever a coincidence when these overlap, make no mistake!).

It's not just about getting that much needed pat on the head (literally in the case of Enda Kenny as someone reminded us a few days ago), but setting themselves up for a career after Irish politics becomes stale in either the lobbying/board member circuit (see above), or the Commission itself (how else could someone like Phil Hogan still make a living after the Irish Water debacle).

So their cautious attitude to making much needed and long overdue changes is certainly not because they're worried about what the natives at home will think, or even what the Ukrainian new arrivals themselves will think, but more "how do we keep the gravy flowing for our friends, family, and property owners" and "how do we not annoy the EU so that my future career path isn't jeopardised?"

These are far more important in the scheme of things than the consequences of these decisions to the electorate or the country. Who cares about that, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

The government have repeatedly said that the large scale influx of migrants is permanent. Having huge numbers of migrants existing on a pittance for long periods of time would drive up crime levels to a massive degree. Generous benefits minimises such crime.

• Advertisement

Oh I'm well aware that the stated Government/FG intention is to dramatically increase the population of the country under their Ireland 2040 plan.

Seeing as the (non-benefit claiming) locals certainly can't afford to have more than 1 child, that leaves immigration. In that respect this regional conflict between Ukraine and its aggressive neighbour has been ideal.

But the effect on crime hasn't worked with our existing low income criminal element (as Dublin is sad evidence of and the reducing Garda numbers is a further testament to - but that's what happens when you appoint an unqualified virtue signalling, box ticking Minister for Justice ), and I'm sure it'll be no different with the new arrivals (Ukrainians or otherwise) as we've seen numerous examples of in the papers or court reports.

Advertisement