Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Yet somehow they're not flying in any great numbers to Shannon, Cork, or Knock. I wonder why that might be.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Might be something to do with not being charities and running a business to make money I’d imagine.

If MoL says Shannon and Cork aren’t worth the effort then I’d listen to him. After all he is running one of the largest airlines on the planet.

Isn’t it funny the way we’ve had the same subjects cropping up recently yet again on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What I find most surprising is how sour everyone appears to be about this subject.

It's pretty damn obvious you can't answer Dublin's capacity issues with flights to regionals, people want to fly to Dublin, not Knock.

However, saying the market is non existent is equally as ignorant a view. In 2022 27 Million flew from Dublin, but another 5+ million flew from other airports in the republic.

Many other factors come into play, such as Ryanair historically hunting out any airline who tries to get a foothold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

The population of the local authority (Fingal) is probably over 300,000 at this stage, and there's around 20,000 employed at the airport - maybe double that in terms of dependent jobs. So, it's a huge employer and the biggest by far in the area, but at the end of the day, it's not the case that most people in Fingal are employed at the airport or even benefit from its activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Might be a legacy of when for decades the State effectively hijacked flights and forced them to fly somewhere they didn't want to.

The whining of Shannon et al is very hard to take after the wreckage that policy imposed on the economy of the whole island for the supposed benefit of one small part.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

That's a very large proportion for a single employer in anyone's book, but congratulations on whacking the hell outta that strawman.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭prunudo

I admit, I didn't realise how big Fingal was, it stretchs all the way to Leixlip in the sw and also includes Howth and Sutton to the east. But it is still a major employer and supports many jobs and families locally, its hardly a strawman argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I wouldn't say I'm sour, just a realist.

Airlines put their aircraft where they can make the most money from them. It's as simple as that.

BTW, when you say 5+ million flew from other airports, what you actually mean is that the combined traffic from CFN, KIR, NOC, ORK, SNN, and those without commercial service right now almost (but not quite) handled 20% of the passengers going through DUB. That should tell you something.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Population of Limerick is 100k, the population of Tallaght alone is 68k

moving an airport to suit 100k is simply not viable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No one thinks the market is non-existent. It is plainly clear that when you propose increasing regional routes and duplicating routes that exist in Dublin that when people say there is no demand they mean no demand for an increased service. There is no point now pivoting to suggest everyone is unaware of the existing flight schedules.

I'm sure there is even scope to increase them somewhat over time. But it is going to essentially be a completely separate question from what to do about dublin and thus irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Baldonnel being used ? Lol ! Theyll turn oconnell street into a runway and use the carlton building as the terminal, before baldonnell would be used...

This is the strawman

but at the end of the day, it's not the case that most people in Fingal are employed at the airport or even benefit from its activities.

Nobody claimed it was most, but it is a lot.

You do realise that that nonsensical post was made over ten years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

All threads about infrastructure in Dublin get a bit surreal. Posters who want less in Dublin and more elsewhere realised that simply going "F**k em. Dublin doesn't deserve it, they already get everything." doesn't cut it as an argument anymore. So they've shifted to pretending to be concerned for Dublin and suggest a solution that (by fortunate coincidence) involves government intervention to move things out of Dublin.

Hence we get claims like building Metrolink would "suffocate" Dublin. Or that allowing the airport to meet customer demand is a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

Really don’t understand why they don’t use 10 L for departures and 10 R for landings is this situation. Emergency taxi work happening off 10R so aircraft have to take the above route and will no doubt cause delays.

Similar situation happened back in Sept and they didn’t change runways either.

I agree. The point is it'll still be a massive employer regardless of how things pan out in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Planning permission dictated the less than ideal usage of runways. At least the winter schedule is now in force, so traffic intensity is lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

Does planning permission get so strict as to dictate use of runways and taxiways in emergency situations? The image in post 7757 shows how crazy things are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

The planning permission for every single piece of infrastructure at that airport is a complete and utter joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭prunudo

Equally you could argue, the councillors who zoned land and allowed building of both large scale developments and one off houses under the flightpath of runways 60 years in the planning are the joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

An Emergency situation supercedes planning laws. This is enshrined in ICAO law, which is an arm of the UN. If an aircraft in an emergency elects to use a certain runway, or taxiway, or route etc, that is the decision of the aircraft commander, no ifs, buts or maybes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

A taxiway needing to be repaired, when alternatives are available, probably doesn't count as an emergency in ICAO terms, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

But our decision-makers are so risk-averse that they will never take a controversial decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I was responding to the query about emergency situations being subject to planning restrictions etc in general. A taxiway closure is an operational restriction obviously. Take an alternative taxiway or backtrack in that situation.

It's only fair that charges raised from passengers and frieght forwarders in Dublin are spent in Dublin.

Now if only we could apply that principle to taxes in general...!

No.

If 45% of people in your town worked in Tesco it'd be a vast proportion, but not most.

So, the difference between "a vast portion of" and "most" is what you're hanging your "strawman" charge on. I'd call that nitpicking. 20,000 direct jobs out of 300,000 population isn't "a vast portion of" either. And not all the 20,000 workers live in Fingal. You can include the whole of North Dublin and chunks of Meath and Louth as well. So, the 20,000 direct jobs and further 20,000 indirect are from a population of easily double that at 600,000.

• Advertisement

You can continue to twist and turn and deny that it's an absolutely VAST employer - the question is why?

Advertisement