Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We have a full moon still shining and Halloween looms.

For the season thats in it I have picked out some whiskies.

Tonight some Puca 7yo single grain.

Then lined up for next couple of days:

Jameson Crested Devil's Ladder

Whistler Dark Symphony

Dingle Samhain

Impressive design on the Whistler

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Please let us know what the Boann is like compared to the Crested. Keen to hear your thoughts

The Boann / Whistler Dark Symphony is very nice. Cognac cask finishes I am a fan of. Would remind me of an upgrade on something like Lambay Small Batch (which I am a fan of).

The Jameson Crested Devils Ladder stands out from the crowd and packs more punch. The Belgian beer cask influence really comes through.

If you are a fan of Tripel type beers then defo go for that, I think it would work well sipped alongside a bottle of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

Been having aberlour 12 48% the last few nights. Just loving it but looks like it's discontinued or at least out of stock everywhere at the moment. I've got the bunnahabhain 12 unopened to drop back on. Sherry again but different

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tried to have a thematic Halloween whiskey experience tonight. It kinda worked out!

Started with Dingle's Samhain single malt and then had a drop of their Lúnasa. Followed that up with Thomond Gate's Clash of the Ash single malt. Had all three over ice. I think I prefer the Dingle whiskeys a little warmer. Finishing off with a drop of the Midnight Silkie now - it's very different from the 3 single malts, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Something new this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

2 new bottles I bought arrived today

Looking forward to trying them

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Redbreast 12, then John's Lane (sipped water in between, clean dry glass each time). First dram of the John's Lane seemed almost damp cardboard and very dry finish, but of course sweet and spicy underneath. I was surprised , so had to have a second... didn't get it at all on the second, slight dry finish but more oak wood. I wonder if it was the adjustment after redbreast, or might it have been that I just opened the John's Lane?

Anyone had the killowen rum and raisin? Irish malts have a 6 year old one. Great northern single malt finished in their px and rum casks. It's young but tempting given the reputation.

I've got 2 of their barantuils recently, the Irish whiskey auction 5th year matured in px and a urfed mixed mash bill from a bourbon barrel. I absolutely love the px but I'm not gone on the bourbon. I just like a bit more sweetness. Disappointing I didn't get the port finish now. Everyone is talking about it, I had a chance to buy but just couldn't justify it at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Very different drops.

Redbreast is all sherry and Christmas cake. JL is more dry and spicy and grassy.

Pretty much as you described them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I found the damp cardboard and dryness didn’t persist, it was only apparent in the first glass after opening the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Is anyone going to be watching the Online Scotch Whisky Awards tomorrow night at 6pm on youtube? Its just a decent award ceremony organised by Ralfy and Roy from Aqvavitae and there's a few Irish whiskies nominated too. gives a good idea of what whiskiews are currently popular with online youtubers and a good one to sit back with a few whiskies, espcecially if you're into scotch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I had it at a tasting with owner/distiller Brendan a few months ago. I really enjoyed it and will probably pick up a bottle at some stage. It's a great blend of rum, sherry and whiskey flavours all coming through.

Had a Barantuil that evening as well. Brendan explained that the cask was at the top of the rackhouse which got very warm during the heatwave earlier in the year. He thought it was f***ed when he first saw the colour of it but it tasted fantastic. I'm guessing it probably went through a bit of an accelerated aging process cause of the heat. He also drew names out of a hat and handed out the half empty bottles at the end which was nice (I didn't get anything though).

Thanks. Whole thing got me thinking about casks. Pretty much every irish whiskey I can think of is a mix of bourbon and sherry. All jameson, redbreast, all the spots have sherry or fortified wine. Bushmills. John's lane is more bourbon but checked and the blurb mentions sherry.

I can think of a few scotches but not a tonne of well known ones. Glenmorangie 10 and Arran 10. Both of which I wasn't a fan of.

I'm probably missing something obvious here.

And I am fully on the sherry/wine cask train in my own preferences

Historically as well I imagine there would have been a lot more sherry barrels coming into Ireland than bourbon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭adaminho

Had a tasting last year in the Palace bar with Drew Mayville the master blender for Buffalo Trace. He mentioned something similar in that a storm blew off the side of one of the rack houses and they found that the barrels tasted better on that side. They have now opened a new rack house where they experiment with different conditions like sunlight, cold etc.

I believe that's why rums seem to age quicker - the higher max temperatures.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's also claimed to be a factor in the success of some of the better Indian whiskies from Paul John and the like. There is this idea of climate related rapid maturation.

Could be something to it, could be the Indian equivalent of blarney... Like people saying island scotches absorbed saline sea spray qualities from being aged in warehouses on the shore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Reminds me of the rapid aging spirit companies actually. They claim to use heat and pressure to create "aged" spirits in a matter of days.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/11/dining/drinks/whiskey-bespoken-lost-spirits.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Been going a good bit easier on the whiskey lately most for financial reasons teamed with heading well towards a bottle a week consumption rate …

Anyway the last I had was a very pleasant duty free litre ( don’t feel as guilty when I stretch this to a fortnight !) of Black Bush 80/20 which was grand .

Went 2/3 weeks without and then as on a weeks hols from work had a few treats .A midday ( or even a few minutes earlier which made it feel a real indulgence )midweek Redbreast Cask Strength in The Palace Bar (€16) was very pleasant indeed although I’m not sure I would agree with some who say it’s pretty much The Best Irish whiskey .Teeling Brabazon 1 ( earlier bottling -2017?) maybe nicer and certainly a basic RB is not that much inferior .( Then again the ‘bond ‘ formed with a bottle is probabaly different to that with a glass :-) )

Later that evening in a local I had the always very solid Tyrconnell Single Malt ( the ‘finished’/casked varieties have won several awards but even as a Sherry bomb fan I reckon under no circumstances are they worth over twice the cost .At just under a tenner I was almost thinking it was better value than the RB CS but sure I suppose we’ve already debated at length the whole ‘luxury goods’ thing .

Now Im thoroughly enjoying a ( just back from Super Valu Lucan , well stocked ) Foxes Bow .For €25 ,a 43% abv Oloroso ( and Rye) finished bottle seems a steal .It’s sourced from the always very solid ( if not legendary!) Great Northern Distillery in Dundalk .

Its got their classic high malt /pot still low grain ( at least in my humble assessment ) impact with the Oloroso sweetness I love and the Rye DOES add something A little spicey / funky as their label suggests

I also saw on the shelf and considered Achill Island Single Malt basic at €49 ( in green metal tin) and Bordeaux finished at €45 both 44% .This is the team behind Irish American who in my opinion are top class

Anyway Christmas is coming so let’s hope we all get to enjoy some nice drams

Slainte !

Post edited by 2011abc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

OBriens had the Aberlour A’bunadh which I think is the king of ( certainly cask strength ) Sherry bombs a couple of Christmases ago for €80 ish ….Could lightning strike twice to make a Christmas wish come true for very good boys - or girls ?! Mind you it’s very bottling sensitive / variable and I don’t think it was a great ‘vintage ‘ they had on sale .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That Foxes Bow sounds very tempting for €25, could do with a cheap drinker. I see it's €40 everywhere but SuperValu, good offer, I'll pop out later 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I was gifted a bottle of Bunnahabhain Cruach-Mhona this week. Really enjoyable - even more so because, it’s a 1lt duty free bottle 😀

I’m a big fan of their standard range, this is similar although maybe a tad lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Similarly, I got a Eirigh Na Greine in Edinburgh duty free, think it was under £40 for a litre and it's a lovely drink. Red wine casks, so quite fruity with the standard smokiness cutting through. They definitely seem to be producing some good "travel only" bottles, and normally I'm a bit cynical of those

Tried Waterford Lacken peated malt yesterday in The Shelbourn in Cork for €10 as whisky of the month.

Really liked it. Full on peaty but elegant and refined, too. The smokiness builds as you drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Yeah, I’m a bit cynical about some of those travel exclusives too, but in the case of Bunnahabhain, I don’t think it’s justified.

I’m big fan of Dalmore’s standard range (12 & 15). I usually have a bottle on hand & would always pick one up in duty free. In the last couple of years though, I haven’t seen the standard range in any duty free. Instead, they stock three no-age-statement whiskies: The Trio, The Quartet and The Quintet. I’ve had the Trio and the Quartet and was disappointed. I much prefer the standard range. I even contacted Dalmore to find out if they were phasing out the standard 12,15 and 18 range (because they’re so difficult to get in Ireland). They said there were no plans to phase them out, but that the retail travel offerings would vary over time.

I've had the Waterford fenniscourt and really liked it. Don't know how important ppm is to the finished flavour but it's the lightest.

Fenniscourt 38ppm

Ballybannon 47ppm

Lacken 57ppm

Woodbrook 74ppm

Think the bog has a big impact on the peat flavour. Fenniscourt reminds me of the baoilleach holy smoke a tiny bit. And the killowen turf reminds me of highland park. None of them remind me of Islay

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Is the Boann Whistler Dark Symphony or other whistler's sourced? And if so is it from great northern distillery? Or are they distilling for themselves?

Boann have a distillery and experiment with mash bills.

I cant find anything definitive as to whether this is sourced or not though.

This suggests it was sourced though if the Pot Still is the ... first whiskey release to have been distilled in Drogheda – once home to 18 distilleries – in 160 years.

https://whiskymag.com/articles/boann-distillery-launches-its-first-single-pot-still-whiskey/

Regarding the sourced/own spirit thing - I think there's 2 models of operation.

There's the common enough one of sourcing at the beginning (with varying levels of transparency) and then having a big fanfare when releasing their own.

Then you have distilleries who are almost misleading about their provenance, who will never make a big deal about using their own spirit, giving the impression it always was their own and leaving the option open to always source some of their product.

It's ridiculous that we can't see, clearly where a bottle of spirits was distilled as a legal label requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I imagine Bushmills would go out of business the moment they started putting the source of their core blended whiskeys on the labels.

Advertisement