Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It wouldn't be a hunky dory place but it would be a better place and it would be one less thing to fall out about and one less thing to be fanatical about.I can't think of anything good religion provides for society any longer or maybe ever did. On a personal level it may provide a degree of solace for people but that it's and that's just a form of self delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I still think for the most part, the majority of people on the thread are horrified by the attacks on Israel and equally horrified by Israel's response, kinda the middle. Can see the horror on both sides.

There's a few very focal people that seem to take an extreme side, defending the IDF actions no matter and thankfully even fewer (and hopefully banned) people cheering Hamas on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Economics101

Is there something wrong with Ukrainian flags? No, but it would be idiotic to parade through Moscow with one. Is there something wrong with the Tricolour? No, but don't tell that to the residents of the Shankill road if you try flying it there.

Again, she knew that putting the Palestinian flag on her twitter profile the day of the attack was pure rabble rousing.Also she didn't condemn Hamas she condemned them with a yeah but attached to it.She just did the expected thing in condemning the attacks but implied the Israelis got what they deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

But do you not think religion and religious beliefs is just bizarre. There is zero evidence, none whatsoever, of the existence of a god. So why all the hypocrisy and pretense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭onlymeself

It'd only give that impression to ignoramuses who have very little understanding of the history of the conflict.

Support for Palestinians in general, at any time, does not automatically mean support for Palestinians who commit attrocities.

Just the same as an Irish flag in the window of a house in Derry doesn't automatically mean support for the Real IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Duffycon

Maybe you didn’t read my message. Only 10%- TEN PERCENT- of most wars had religion as their primary cause. But if you have made up your mind because you don’t want your precious narrative to be interfered with, then you have made up your mind. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There are lads that love to "row against the current" just to be difficult. But some of them doing it in this thread, given the context, are quite disturbing. They are exposed now but sink to new lows to keep up the charade.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

I'm beginning to think humans are tended to massive conflict and the only thing that prevents it is the memory of the horror it brings.

Now that WWII is pretty much beyond living memory, the likes of USA & UK have nothing causing them to stop and think and with the conflicts in Ukraine and Palestine the world may well be walking itself into the next "great" war.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

France is in the process of introducing a law that says committing a crime against the state is punishable by up to 2 yrs in Jail and 75k fine.

PM and Home secretary in UK have called proposed marches on armistice day to be hate marches.

A UK member of house of representatives is introducing a bill proposing the denial of entry to the US for Palestinians.

German embassy in Ireland said there was a lesson for Ireland to learn how ro not promote hatred against the Jews (or something very similar, I'm not double checking right now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Plenty of posters have refused to call for the immediate release of the hostages taken in the Hamas terrorist attack. That is a defence of the terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

lol @ Hams using empty shells to arms themselves. Biden made the Taliban one of the largest arms dealers in the world. Hamas hit Isarel brandishing American carbines

Those marches on Armistice day are being done as a show of strength and looks who has power now.

They clearly could decide in respect to Armistice day to have their march on another day or well away from London.

1 day difference won't make any odds (either on the Monday or Friday), the weekend of the 11th of November clearly has a great degree of importance.Those marching for Palestine seem fine with showing disrespect to other peoples traditions and beliefs but want everyone to respect their beliefs.

The US is trying to extricate itself from reliance of oil in the Middle East. It wants out - why all the fracking and energies being poured into making the US self reliant. Besides you don’t want the US to back off. If terrorists gained control of the Suez Canal and other waterways where a huge amount of the world’s cargo passes through, we will all suffer. Not what you want is suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So no reference to Palestine support in those examples for the UK, France and Germany.

Remember Pro-Hamas Pro-Palestine Anti-Israel.

The US example is just probably some nutter trying to introduce crazy bills. I doubt it will get far.

Mary Lou didn't put a Palestinian flag on her Twitter profile on the day of the Hamas attack. TD Chris Andrews put one up the day after the attack, it has that in the article I posted. Maybe that's what your thinking of. Mary Lou did it some days later. She refused to criticise Andrews for it publicly. She condemned Hamas the day after the attack.

Unless I'm missing something. I can't find anything saying she did that on the very day of the attack, and I don't see any mention of anyone saying she did. You could be right, but I can't seem to find that anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Monsters on both sides. The Israelis have got their revenge and much much more.

Their actions over the past few weeks have ensured they will not exist in that region in 20 years. They let emotion get to them, have completely lost their minds have become worse savages than Hamas.

There is real evil at the top of the Israeli command, as there also is in Hamas and that will be their undoing.

I can't get over the barbarity and cruelty of it. Israel have gone too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

The greatest cod of the lot is the link between Evangelical Christians in the States and Israel. It's basically something like the Evangelicals believe that the final battle between good and evil will happen in Jerusalem and that the Jews will cause it. The Jews will all be smited or converted and the righteous Christians will be lifted up to heaven. Israel goes along with and courts this daftness because it guarantees the support of a huge sway of American politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah you're back. Tough day?

Which posters have refused to call for the immediate release of the hostages? Did you ask them to "call" for it? Or should they be doing it every day? Have you a hostage law for us?

This is Boards by the way, do you think Hamas read this stuff?

Taking hostages is a sick thing to do. Of course they should be released by the inhuman Hamas terrorists.

I remember when Brian Keenan was released from the Lebanon after years of torture. He was a broken man. It was heart wrenching. Taking hostages is disgusting. Keeping them for long periods is worse.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

If only 10 percent of wars have religion as their cause then that means that the remaining 90 % of wars have non religious causes. If that’s the case, Sooner believe in a God than believe in world without one. We can all be godless fools killing each other, can’t we, no matter how worldly wise we profess ourselves to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Was there people walking through Israeli cities with Palestinian flags on the day of the Hamas attacks or in the days after?

The point I'm making is that people showing support for Palestine with Palestinian flags does not mean they support Hamas. But there's many people imagining it does, because it suits their narrative.

Some people seem to assume that if someone feels sympathy towards Palestinians that they must have been delighted at the news of the Hamas attack.

Be offended at Hamas flags, don't let Palestinian flags conjure up feelings of resentment.

Exactly. To quote a Trump supporter I saw recently on tv, " the two most important things in my life are right here with me , my bible and my gun"

Your back from doing bomb damage assessments on ambulances I see. What did you settle on in the end? Hailstones?

Says who?

Do you call for the immediate release of the thousand plus Palestinians held without charge by Israel?

Are they not hostages in your view?

Without trying to deflect this thread, can you provide one, just one, bit of evidence of the existence of a god or God's? And please don't insult us with "the evidence is all around us blah blah blah..."

If there was any day if the year that was most appropriate to March for peace, surely the day remembering the end of what was termed the Great War would be it.

Incredible indictment of the low esteem the Palestinian people are held by so many that they would suggest moving marches so to have faux sincerity about how we've learned lessons from that conflict.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm calling for the immediate release of all hostages taken in the Hamas terror attack. Given the level of the Israeli pounding of Gaza knowing there are 200 plus of their citizens held captive there, do you think the shelling and bombing would lessen or increase if they released any of the captives left alive?

• Advertisement

Calling a march of hundreds of thousands of people who are advocating for peace and support for Palestine a hate march couldn't really be more obvious as to how the people doing this view Palestine but go ahead and keep your head in the sand if it makes it easier to not acknowledge the death and suffering you are in agreement with.

Advertisement