Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

I don't think there was a ever a Dail motion but there were plenty of calls from SF for the Russian Ambassador to be expelled. First google result is 25 February 2022.

What's strange is the Billy Kellehers of this world who made a song and dance of protesting outside the Russian embassy and offering to drive the ambassador to the airport aren't making the same noises this time around.

While I don't agree with the calls to expel either ambassador at least SF were consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

If people also had a march to show Israeli support, they would be seen the same under the laws your taking about. It's not specific to Palestinians.

And places like the UK, the US, Germany, France are actively making laws against people calling for support for the Palestinians. A heartbreaking indictment of where society is at.

With the exception of the US as you explained, the rest are not making new laws up specifically targeting people taking a pro-Palestinian stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Duffycon

I have faith. If you need proof then choose not to believe. That’s the point of faith. You choose not to believe well That’s on you. But don’t think it makes you a better person than me in terms of doing or thinking the right thing. I don’t think, even as a believer, that I have a monopoly on the truth. Do you believe you have such a monopoly on truth? Simply because you don’t have faith? Apart from all of that, Only 10% of this known universe has been accounted for as in “we know what it is”. The remaining 90% is made up of dark matter and dark energy which we are still trying to figure out. I am not an advocate of a “God of the gaps” argument, but unless you know something no one else does….

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

But do you have faith because your parents and teachers told you to have faith and which faith at a very young impressionable age?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

No surprise to see the usual bigots voting against a resolution to tackle the alarming rise of anti semitism in college campuses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

There was a Palestinian flag on her twitter profile on the 8th of October at the latest (that was the day I checked her profile), so she made sure to get one up there as soon as possible, she didn't wait some days at most she waited 1 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Duffycon

No I have faith as an adult, my friend. My parents, God rest them, did bring me up as a Christian but they were wise enough to know when to let me go and for me to plough my own path. There was never a question of them disowning me even if I had said that I renounced my faith. There was too much love there, you see. Many members of my family choose not to have faith but we still love each other to bits! Still get along. Still can’t wait till the next family reunion. That’s Love. Hope you have the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭onlymeself

It's a shame to see people turn on Jews due to the actions of Zionists. I'd hope it's ignorance and a lack of understanding about Zionism rather than just genuine hatred of Jews. But going by the many reports in the media of acts of hatred toward Jewish people around the world since the 7th of October, it does seem that there has been an increase anti-semitism. Unfortunately there has been an increase in Islamapbobia too due to the actions of Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement

You obviously didn’t bother reading this discussion earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭onlymeself

Ya, it would have been more sensitive not to do that the day after that attack, regardless of the fact that a Palestinian flag is not a Hamas flag. Poor judgement if that's the case.

Have you found the tweet, I couldn't see it anywhere, or even anyone at all mentioning it, despite the fact that Andrew's drew a huge amount of attention for the flag on his twitter account.

It would be great if you'd go back and change your post where you said she did that on the very day of the attack all the same.

Timing is everything. The flags were being flown before any retaliation by Israel. That is for some an inconvenient fact now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I suspect one reason Israel is disliked currently and there is so much sympathy for the Palestinians is that there has been a big move against colonial /settler type nations in recent years. For example, the history of the former British Empire has become very unpopular with many people (even in Britain) and it's now seen as having been deeply controversial and oppressive and a force for bad, rather than good.

There are all sorts of unsavoury elements, chants and placards at these protests as stated previously. It’s not accurate to pretend it’s all about peace. No doubt many are well intentioned but try waving an Israeli or American flag and see how peaceful many are. Look at how the anti Iranian protester was treated by an anti war crowd recently.

Note, “many” not “all” before the usual arguments start up.

Besides which where are the ‘Hamas Out’ and ‘Release Hostages Now’ signs? It takes two sides to reach a settlement.

You do know guns can be used for purposes other than shooting people? What is wrong with having a gun now? Most farmers have one.

I honestly think most don't have a clue about the real history (myself included), but I'm just shocked that close to 4k children have died in less than a month and those supporting Israel just shrug it off like it's nothing. We've seen towns and cities reduced to rubble in Ukraine by the Russians, but civilians could always evacuate, there was always a much safer place to flee to.

And the very same people/countries would be in uproar if Ukraine bombed a Russian town and left hundreds dead to take out a few soldiers etc...

Nope, “the alarming rise of anti semitism in college campuses” as he/she stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If October 7th had happened say 20 years ago, there probably would have been a lot more support in the West for Israel and its 'retaliatory' action, but we're in a different world now. Bombing the hell out of a smaller and much poorer country / region and killing thousands of innocent civilians is a terrible look and people are just not in the humour for it.

But you could still have a room full of Hamas/Hezbollah and other terrorist organizations supporters once they don't 'create a hostile environment for Jewish students, faculty, and staff'

So you can still have your Al-Qaeda rallies once you don't upset Jewish people. You can upset a white christian american, but not a Jew.

It seems a little over the top specifying Jewish in the law. Would non Jewish Americans's not get upset equally with people chanting death to America regardless of their religion?

• Advertisement

For the sake of argument let’s accept what you say for a moment.

There are the actual victims of the 7th October to consider and who you omitted to mention. What would you have “felt”, had a “realisation” of or “imagine”d as a Jew or an Israeli Arab or Thai worker in Israel? The other side of what you are saying (even if true) is why the timing matters. If you can’t see that I’m sorry.

Waving a flag for Palestine now fair enough but on 7th / 8th October it was deeply insensitive at best. Respectfully I don’t understand why this even needs argued.

9/11 happened 22 years ago, there was much support for America, but America didn't kill almost 10k civilians in less than a month.

Israel is on a whole new level in the revenge game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

Introducing a bill/law to specifically protect a certain cohort while not protecting others seems unjust.

It's the whole boosting a group with rights well above other citizens.

Why can't America just ban supporting any designated terrorist organisation irrespective of who gets offended by said terrorist group.

Or ban any group who would create a hostile environment to staff or students, ya know like a KKK meeting on a black campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭jmreire

Whether God exists or not, is a matter of personal belief, but as we have seen repeatedly, when People do believe in God, and said God has death in in it's "Constitution" and teachings, the harm and destruction it can cause are pretty real. We are seeing it at this very moment in fact. So Dan, as far as you are concerned, it's all fake and nonsensical rubbish ( and you are entitled to your opinion, and not only that, but there are millions who share that view) None the less, there are also millions to whom God is a living entity, one whose commandments must be obeyed to the letter. And that's a real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

Yes, and so can a knife.

But why would a knife or a gun be one of the two most important things in your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Israel said it had targeted the ambulance because it was being used by Hamas, according to a statement from the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). “An IDF aircraft struck an ambulance that was identified by forces as being used by a Hamas terrorist cell in close proximity to their position in the battle zone,” it wrote.

“A number of Hamas terrorist operatives were killed in the strike… We have information which demonstrates that Hamas’ method of operation is to transfer terror operatives and weapons in ambulances,” the statement said.

As predicted.

The reason it's so important to brand all Gazans as either Hamas or Hamas supporters is you can bomb anything you want and just say Hamas terrorists were killed. You see it here with people saying Gaza voted for this in 2006 so they are all culpable, and you can see pictures all over Twitter of child soldiers being used to justify killing children. Thousands of children are dead and normal people are supporting it.

We're coming to a point now where Israelis can say that "Gaza is being used by Hamas" and so Gaza in general is a valid target. When supporters think it's ok to bomb everything individually, they're 90% of the way to believing that wiping out everything is justifiable if it eradicates the terrorists. The twisted logic is there but it's straight up ethnic cleansing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

While posters on here support the bombing of refugee camps and ambulances, even the US is asking for the thinking and process behind Jabalia.

Imagine the US requesting that Israel be more precise with its targeting at the same time are you are defending it.

Advertisement