Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Killer (David Fincher)

Options
  • 29-08-2023 2:39pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭

If I find another thread we can merge it: first trailer out for David Fincher's latest. After the slightly disappointing personal project of "Mank" hopefully we get back to some grimy entertainment...

Drops on netflix in November, after a brief cinema run in October

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I like that trailer, slick and intriguing, stick to the plan 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Reminded me of the Brad Pitt self speeches in Ad Astra

Ad Astra - Psychological Evaluations

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I had been looking forward to this but that's an underwhelming trailer. If it wasn't Fincher the film wouldn't be on my radar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

New trailer out: early reviews are very mixed on this from what I've seen; the main criticism seems to revolve around the fact this "just" one of Fincher's dalliances mainstream thriller / entertainment & not one of his prestige works.

And having just watched Panic Room the other day, fine with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Seen this today. It's definitely recognisably a Fincher film, in that it has his cool, digital look and feel throughout. I agree with the critics on this one. It's definitely a step down on his best work, and even compared to something like Panic Room, it's probably lacking a bit of narrative oomph.

Nevertheless, I had an enjoyable day at the pictures. I'd give it a solid 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I saw it in the cinema.

Very average really. Very well made but thin plot and characterisation. Nothing new or surprising or interesting. I was waiting for something to happen but then the film just ended.

I'm surprised they actually bothered making it to be honest.

I did laugh a couple of times at least though. The cheese grater.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Define "narrative oomph". Is it simply that there's no real plot in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

I think just through the coldness of The Killer himself, there is a lack of any real reason to feel invested in the events that unfold. There is a basic revenge plot (of sorts) here, but the inciting incident involves characters that don't feature at all in the lead up to the incident and who basically don't feature again in the rest of the film.

It still manages to be a propulsive watch and never drags, but is more of a passive character study, than something that transports you into its world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

You've put this much better than I could.

Saw TheKiller last night. Very, very solid film but not spectacular. Soundtrack and main performance excellent. Fincher's films always look incredible. Perhaps slightly undercooked. A more realistic, grounded John Wick. Had a few genuine laughs. Maybe 7/10 at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Agree with the rest of the comments. I didn’t really why the killer’s management took the course of action they did. Why compensate unimportant blood with important volatile blood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I am a big David Fincher fan, and I enjoyed this knowing it would be more in line with his output like The Game or Panic Room. I agree that it is unusual that the character that motivate his actions through the film is barely featured, and to me contradicts the whole MO of the Killer and his many rules to live by.

He seems to break a few of his own rules through the film, either through being sloppy or just a being man of contradictions. I'm not quite sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The material is C+ at best, but the direction is a solid A. Fincher just doesn’t have the ability to phone it in. The opening segment is obviously an exceptionally hyper-focused joy, but every sequence and shot has a precision to it that is pure Fincher.

Sometimes it’s fun to just see a director over delivering on the material. And Fincher seems to think so too. Hard to escape the wry meta-commentary of this being a follow up to Mank (a film I liked but was undoubtedly the most middling reception to a Fincher film since Benjamin Button) and the film focusing on an absolute perfectionist coming to terms with a rare miss. Fincher can always fall back on these expertly crafted trashy genre pics, ‘cos nobody does them better. I don’t know how much you can read into that, but it’s there, and adds a little bit of playfulness to what is a superbly crafted slice of hokey genre nonsense.

Thanks, was curious. Still looking forward to it, cos as Johnny alluded to only David Fincher will take C material and direct the ever living shít outta it. I genuinely think more "auteur" directors could do with an occasional píss about once in a while. Robert Eggers directs a New York Bestseller thriller or somesuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Seen it today myself. Was looking forward to it.

I thought the film started off very well but slowly went down hill from there on. Had no interest in the main character towards the end of the film. The fight scene in the house was done very well and more like a Bourne movie.

Overall 6.5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I saw it this evening and loved it, 8/10 for me.

I was at the 6pm Lighthouse show and there was a decent amount of people at it, but when coming out there was a sizeable queue for the next showing which was good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I was at the same screening! I think the queue was for a different film though. Maybe Bottoms?

Anyway I loved The Killer as well. A typically icy Fincher movie. Ridiculously fast opening credits, immersive and sometimes disorienting sound design, weird ambient score, Smiths soundtrack and an unstoppable pit bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Speaking of the fight scene, could everyone actually see what was going on during it? I know it was a fairly dark film, but most of that scene was incomprehensible at my showing in Dundrum. Not helped at all by a light from the door area that lit up most of the left hand side of the screen........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It is a purposefully dark scene but it wasn't as bad as your description when I saw it in Light House. It's frustrating when there is an exit door glow, or open door letting in light right beside the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Those emergency exit signs are a pet hate of mine. Surely it's possible to screen them off one side so the light isn't cast onto the screen, and only back towards the audience? Couple of screens in Vue are ruined by them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Poster for this in Milan's metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

I wish Fassebender didn't use a generic American accent. Really uncharismatic and forgettable.

How much more impactful would it have been if he used or was allowed to use his thick Kerry accent!?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Isn't that the whole point of the character though to be uncharismatic and forgettable.

If you are an assassin the last thing you want to be is charismatic and memorable

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Totally get that, you need to be a grey man. As a narrator it's tough going.

Tom Cruise was a grey man , literally, in Collateral, but still more engaging. I like Fassebender, i blame Fincher more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just finished it there and really enjoyed it a tight thriller and I would rate it higher then The Game or Panic Room. Love that the Killer was a big Smith's fan. A solid 8 out of 10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I simply cannot understand it. It epitomises in my mind Ireland’s inability to do things well.

I can see how this is dividing people; it's a bit more of a mood piece than movie, a bare bones narrative with more of a wry sense of itself than the ostensible Europacorp thriller nonsense another universe might have shat out. A very nihilistic, reflective vehicle all told, and not some revenge fantasy to cheer.

Of course the thing looked fantastic cos of course it did - I do love how David Fincher still directs these kind of films, where even a simple thriller looked better than 95% of cinema released this year. Not sure I fully bought into the idea Fincher was mocking himself through the main character but I did like the way the universe kep undercutting the assassin's attempted mantras.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I'm not sure if it was actually the exit sign or not. There was an emergency exit to the immediate right which didn't affect the screen at all. By the time we were leaving the doors at the end of the corridor were open so couldn't say what the actual problem was but I really should have complained because it was hugely distracting throughout (even during the trailers!).

But getting back to the actual film; I think this is one that I might actually enjoy more if I give it a rewatch after some time has passed. It being the first new Fincher film I'd seen in years (I've so far avoided Mank) and knowing it was also the writer of Seven, my expectations were maybe set a little too high.

It's probably one of my least favourite Finchers, but easily one the best Netflix films I've seen in years. The guy just doesn't know how to half-ass anything. It looked incredible and I actually enjoyed the jet black humour. But I felt more sympathy/compassion for Fassbender as the evil David in the Alien prequels than him as the killer in this. Not sure if that's down to his acting choice, Finchers direction or how the character (per the graphic novel) is supposed to be played....

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Steviemak7

Looks great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭turnfan

This and Haywire (Steven Soderbergh)makes a nice double bill.

Similar worlds, different take. Same Fassbender.

Advertisement