Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just reading there that they wanted the Jets guy from last year but the Steelers grabbed him off the waiver wire. They apparently were hoping to get a draft pick from the Eagles for him but just cut him and the Eagles worked him out yesterday.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

If its Braden Mann they were hoping to sign, they dodged a bullet! You'd be better off ignoring punts altogether😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Now that he has been cleared of any potential charges, seems surprising that Matt Araiza isn't being given a punting try-out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nick Bosa finally signed a contract with the 49ers so should be good to go Sunday. 5 years $170m. No contract details yet.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38340390/source-49ers-nick-bosa-highest-paid-defensive-player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

50 mil signing bonus. The back room guys are doing good things with that deal, very sustainable - might have took time but its a good deal. And on the same day the Niners restructured two big deals, saving over 23 million in cap space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Don't think I've seen David Squires do an NFL cartoon before. Whilst it has Squires usual attention to detail, its the sad story of Eric Smith so not particularly an easy read.

David Squires on … Eric Smith and the NFL’s toll on one player’s mind and body | NFL | The Guardian

It's an awful story and the NFL not looking after him and others is disgraceful.

I remember reading a lengthy interview with Andrew Luck and he shed some light on what he went through and he played the best protected position in the game, outside of kickers.

I hope Eric and others like him win their case. I hope at some stage soon that CTE can be identified in living people and treated.

I have a lot of friends who played rugby and suffered multiple concussions. One of them is very worried about his future.

I'm not a medical person, no clue about it at all, but I recommended he use a brain trainer every day and read books on multiple subjects in the evening. I don't know if it'll help him but you are better doing something I think. He told me his mood has picked up after a couple of months doing it. It might have nothing to do with what I suggested but hopefully it does and he can pass that onto other friends of his.

I played rugby and I had two concussions over my time which isn't much. I never have had memory loss or anything like that thankfully. I did suffer from stress at one stage though or at least I thought it was stress. What I recommended to my friend is what I did and I've never had any headaches or stress since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is a scary subject. Something I have thought about since some of my most watched sports are American football and rugby (though I would die on either pitch).

I also wonder about the game going forward and how parents will react. Certainly if I was a parent I would at least be encouraging other sports first. There is danger in any sport but some are definitely more dangerous than others.

I love physically tough sports but there's no excuse for head hits. I once saw a player kick a player on the ground in the head. I was playing and I ended up with a three month ban for what I did to him. He got no punishment for kicking my teammate's head.

That's the way things were back then.

I coach mini-rugby now and you have to do a lot of work to qualify as a kids coach.

HIA is a big part of it.

I got one question wrong and it wrecked my head until I finally realised my mistake. The question was how high you can tackle a player and I said waist, the answer is below the waist.

I think that's where rugby is heading in the next decade at senior level.

The NFL needs to look at Rugby Union and take on board what they are doing. Disqualification from the game and a huge fine is how they stop it. And nobody wants it, not the players or the fans.

I do some work with the seniors in tackling. I always tell them that you wrap your arms around and under the opponents armpits.

Head should always be to the side you are pushing from no matter the height of the tackle, that avoids head hits and keeps the tackling player safe as well. Cheek to cheek in low tackles and cheek to armpit in higher tackles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So because of the clocks changes being out of synch between here and the States, just watch out games \ coverage will be an hour earlier for the Sunday games until things realign Saturday week.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Josh McDaniels and the GM have been fired by the raiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

McDisaster f*cks up another HC job - big surprise.

I am sure BB will bring him back as OC with the Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If he's signed as OC then it lets Vegas off the hook with McDaniels salary so watch out for him to come back as some "assistant" role like Patricia did

I'm surprised to see a coach with a 3-5 record fired so early in the season.

There's no sign or even indication that Jonathan Gannon, Frank Reich, Matt Eberflus or Brian Daboll are on the chopping block.

Sean Payton in the same division has the same record as the Raiders and not a mention of him being on a hot seat.

I wonder what nickname JRG has for Payton. Paythetic maybe?

McDaniels hasn't done a good job. I'm just surprised at the timing of the firing. I don't think anybody should be fired before it's pretty certain your season is over.

He hasn't looked good as a head coach but he's went to two disastrous franchises.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭FantasyFool

I would have sacked McDaniels after Week 4! Aidan O'Connell nearly gets killed by Khalil Mack all day but somehow manages to get them within 7pts and on the 4 yard line. McDaniels calls a throw on first down and it gets intercepted. Jacobs looking on. It wasn't like he was OC on a team who were handed a Super Bowl with the same kind of head scratching play calling!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

None of the coaches of those teams and their handpicked GM took a playoff side, spent a ton of money, and drove it into the toilet. The only coach who isn't in their first year and didn't make the playoffs last year, Eberflus, is absolutely starting to feel his seat get warm.

Every big bet McDaniels made looks absolutely terrible, aside from Adams who they cant get the ball to due to one of their other big bets (though I do appreciate the 3rd round comp pick).

I understand how the Hoyer decision sent Davis over the edge, McDaniels was clearly doing what he thought was best for him rather than the long term of the team. When you add to it how the locker room was so clearly lost this was one of the few good decisions Davis has made.

I'm not saying it's what anybody with the Raiders wants but the best thing for the future of that franchise is a very early pick in the draft with so much QB talent coming out in '24.

O'Connell isn't going to be the guy.

I think signing Hoyer was a mistake, his time in the league, as a backup, is done in my opinion.

To make sure things are clear, I'm not saying McDaniels is a great or even good head coach.

I'm simply saying that at 3-5 their season wasn't done and I don't think he should be sacked this early.

I expect things to get even worse for the Raiders now.

As you know I'm a Patriots fan and over the years it's been mentioned many times that he'd end up taking the reins from Belichick and I never liked hearing it and that's before he went to Denver. I just don't think he has the personality and leadership qualities required to be a successful head coach.

He did go into two bad situations though.

Have to say though I was very surprised that he let Derek Carr walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Raiders weren't that bad a situation - far better than most jobs coaches take on. They'd punched above their weight the year before and made the playoffs but had plenty of decent pieces to work with. McDaniels however either completely misjudged where the Raiders were or overestimated his capabilities and then oversold it to Davis to get his big contract. Their actions the last two off seasons werent of a team that was rebuilding or even retooling and then they made nearly every decision poorly.

Come on, forget about McDaniels not being 'a great or even good head coach' - he is somewhere between poor and absolutely dire. He learned nothing since his last opportunity. I'd said earlier in the week that he'd clearly lost the locker room and then this comes out today to add to all the other on and off the record comments from the building:

https://x.com/JayGlazer/status/1721217664390140012?s=20

I'm not disagreeing with you on McDaniels. I wasn't suggesting he was average by saying he's not great or good.

I don't agree that the Raiders had a good roster.

Derek Carr wasn't doing anything special and mostly because he had an awful set of wide receivers.

Their offensive line was poor and their defensive secondary was bad.

They made the playoffs but that had a lot to do with a very friendly schedule.

I'm not defending McDaniels here. I'm just saying it as I see it.

And McDaniels was head hunted. He couldn't turn down a head coaching job again. He did it a few seasons ago because of his family situation.

Anyway, for the most part we are in agreement I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

BoB is the only successful coach from the Brady tree. Who knew when you take away the GOAT that so many coaches would look poor?

We made the playoffs with McDaniels in 2021.

Or are you talking about in head coach positions?

If so there was Charlie Weis who had a couple of good seasons with Notre Dame.

Eric Mangini had a couple of winning seasons with the Jets.

And then there was Romeo Crennell who did the impossible by guiding the Cleveland Browns to a winning season in 2007. Their first since 2002 and last until 2020.

So there was four in total who were successful as head coaches.

They all have losing records lol. BoB the only one who has a playoff win iirc, pretty terrible ones too.

They may have overall losing records but they all had winning seasons.

Like Romeo was over the Browns, how in earth can you come out of there after a couple of seasons with a winning record.

Same applies with Mangini, he was with the Jets.

Their records are losing ones, particularly where it matters, in the rare playoff appearances. You can try to polish a turd, but it still stinks

The fact they had winning seasons means they had success.

• Advertisement

When are you going to give up? Any coach who had a winning season had success. Nobody mentioned hanging banners, that's done when you win titles.

Advertisement