Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The Martens family remind me of the Murdaughs. Just a weird level of local influence they must have for the media to be running with this madness and lining up people to be questioning pathology results here without basis.

Thomas no doubt has had old friends working on these latest angles for him.

And it's working a charm on plenty of fooking fools with sub 50 IQs.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There is no new evidence being presented just recycled claims from before.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭irishgeo

They can't speak out. The judge has said so.

Molly is nuts. I wonder was all of this lies by Jason by molly coached by the father to get away with it.

In regards to the civil trial it's only the matter of the amount of the payout with them pleading guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Molly has pleaded “no contest” - apparently this means that if you were to sue Molly for wrongful death or whatever in a civil suit, you couldn’t assume the evidence in this trial and would have to essentially prove everything all over again - I believe there’s a potential downside too for pleading no contest where a civil trial is concerned but just not sure what it is - open to correction on the above but that’s the essence I got from a quick google a while back.

On another matter Does anyone know are the prosecution limited in what evidence they can submit to the judge.

So areas such as:

The wider circumstances of Jason’s first wife death and the presence of her sister before being taken to hospital

The obvious gap between Jason’s death and calling the paramedics and the fact that Jason’s body was cold by the time paramedics arrived ?

It seems to be one way traffic this week to a degree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 maireadf

Is any of this case on US court tv ? Can we view the court room ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,996 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Of course there is, it's the reason the original conviction was quashed and a new trial ordered which has subsequently been whittled down to a Class D Felony.

Supreme Court

Having concluded that the trial court erred by excluding Jack’s and Sarah’s statements, bystriking a portion of Tom’s testimony, and byadmitting certain expert witness testimony concerning alleged blood spatters on Tom’sand Molly’s clothing, we must determine whether defendants were prejudiced thereby. “To establish prejudice based on evidentiary rulings, defendant bears the burden of showing that a reasonable possibility exists that, absent the error, a different result would have been reached

The wider circumstances of Jason’s first wife death and the presence of her sister before being taken to hospital

The sister was living with them at the time.

On the night she died, she used both her inhalers and the nebuliser but they weren’t helping. Mags sister Catherine was living with Jason and Mags at the time of her death and was present the night she passed. Jason woke Catherine and he also rang an ambulance. Jason put Mags in the car and rushed to meet the ambulance on the way. Jason revived Mags before he met the ambulance.

If Jason was so controlling as you make out, why the fck was he planning to leave Molly?

That would be classic coercive control TBF. I'll take these kids who you love if you don't heal.

But there is no tangible evidence to suggest that he was going to leave her.

His sister testified in the first trial that she had a phone conversation with him in 2014 and he talked about wanting to move back before Jack started secondary, Jack was 9 at the time. She admitted on the stand there was no actual plans to.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

So the sister didn't witness the attack just the aftermath, as in the husband could have choked or partially smothered her, then woke the sister claiming she's dying, help!!!

• Advertisement

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Like it's hard to manufacture an argument for a secret recording FFS

Just reading all the reports on it I would serious question a lot of it as propaganda coming from Molly Martens.

All of the stories are what Molly Martens told these women with very little evidence other than what Martens said.

Terry Pratchet

Of course it is, it is now admissible evidence which was deemed wrongly inadmissible in the first trial.

In a legal sense it is brand new evidence.

The tapes were played over 2 days last week.

Of course there is no jury as the prosecution offered a plea deal, but the sentencing Judge still has to rule on mitigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

When it comes to stuff like this the US legal system looks more than a bit sketchy.

🙈🙉🙊

Jennifer Turner used to live across the road from the Corbetts. Her then husband was English and was very friendly with Mr Corbett, the two men sharing an interest in English Premier League football.

She left the area and moved to Georgia a year before Mr Corbett was killed.

She told the court that she could not recall being told by Martens Corbett that Mr Corbett had ever hit her.

But she did say she was aware that Mr Corbett got angry very quickly over small things, like not buying the right sort of fruit. Most of the women mentioned fruit in their testimonies.

She recalled an occasion when the two women went shopping to a mall, got back in their car and Marten Corbett’s phone was ringing.

There had been nine missed calls from Mr Corbett. He rang a further three times before she answered.

Ms Turner said even without speakerphone she could hear Mr Corbett shouting at his wife, demanding to know where she was, who she was with and how long she would be out.

Ms Turner said she had been in an abusive relationship herself and had urged Martens Corbett to leave the marriage, as "these things never get better".

Martens Corbett told her she could not leave because of the children.

Corroborates the children's interviews, where they stated at one stage there was 47 miss calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,512 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its goal is to save the Martens. Not get justice.

Not the only sketchy thing that was going on aparently.

Ms McCormack said she immediately heard Mr Corbett "screaming down the line. He called her a bitch, said she should never have left the children, and that she was going to pay for leaving."

Asked why she and her husband had recorded their statement to police on video, Ms McCormack said she had heard that some witness statements taken by police in the investigation had been inaccurate and she wanted to make sure that hers was accurate, so insisted the police made a video recording in the interview room in Lexington.

Really? They are literally quoting Jason Corbett.

The two were talking when the phone rang, Martens Corbett put it on speakerphone inadvertently and Ms McCormack said she immediately heard Mr Corbett "screaming down the line. He called her a bitch, said she should never have left the children, and that she was going to pay for leaving."

She recalled an occasion when the two women went shopping to a mall, got back in their car and Marten Corbett’s phone was ringing.

There had been nine missed calls from Mr Corbett. He rang a further three times before she answered.

Ms Turner said even without speakerphone she could hear Mr Corbett shouting at his wife, demanding to know where she was, who she was with and how long she would be out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Boggles: so him possibly wanting out is you then making him out to be the baddy? So anyone who wants to leave, and “threatens” to leave a spouse (who they believe to be damaging-toxic) is displaying coercive control?

Coercive control is about using leverage to control a person. Money, house, kids, dog, whatever.

It's hardly a mad cap concept is it?

Whatever it is, you can be sure Martens is blowing it way out proportion with lies..and as I said, is every spouse who thinks of leaving displaying coercive control? Or is it possible they want out, and need out from their toxic partner?

you are continually wanting to use Martens’ fabrications as a way to paint Mr. Corbett as a bad person, and in doing do, understanding/justifying his murder.

you are continually wanting to use Martens’ fabrications as a way to paint Mr. Corbett as a bad person

The only thing about that is.

I have not used or quoted either of the Martens or formed any sort of opinion on anything they said directly or testified to.

So, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Boggles, have you had any personal interaction with Jason Corbett or his family? You seem very determined to try to justify why he was beaten to death.

So we got there eventually, if you have an opinion different to mine you must be involved.

There is very limited circumstances where someone would be justified into executing someone else in that manner and this isn't one of them. Probably my 6th time stating that.

But again it was the Supreme Court who vacated the first sentence and the prosecution who offered the Class D felony deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,512 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Just gotta be edgy. Like his previous niche defences of Markle.

Edgy would be claiming Judges were paid off by the Martens.

Personally, do you think from what you read that the killing/murder was justified?

• Advertisement

3 posts up. 👆️

There is very limited circumstances where someone would be justified into executing someone else in that manner and this isn't one of them. Probably my 6th time stating that.

Advertisement