Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

check out many of the signs etc. not all. i tried to make that clear.

arguments made previously that the palestians need hamas out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

A ceasefire would also give Israel time to regroup and organise.

I'll never understand how one of the most advanced militaries in the world let its border, against a so-called existential threat, be overrun.

More importantly, it would give civilians some much needed breathing space to access aid, stay alive etc.

And if we're to be realistic, any ceasefire would probably only be temporary. My money would be on Hamas breaching it first with some rocket fire.

Could buy Israel some PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Very simple solution is for Hamas to free all the hostages.

Hamas did not want a ceasefire though so that rules it out either way

Hamas are too popular among the population and the factions opposed to Hamas are often just as extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sure the real diehards blame Israel when Hamas fires rockets anyway.

• Advertisement

The **** hole in the sand that is Gaza is of no value to anyone.

If there are gas fields under it they will also extend deep in to Israel and can be drilled from Israel or Egypt without approval of Gaza

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Israelis tagging Palestinians with ID numbers.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzM1u1Mr3OZ/?igshid=ZGQzY21ldnM3YnAx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭Shoog

You make extremists by making a populations life unbearable. When you have nothing to lose then extremism becomes attractive. If HAMAS are extremists then Israel made them so ( and they literally helped create them).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

This guy wasn't you're "soft day thank god " farmer. He was the stereotypical bandana wearing, grey beard, leather vest,white MAGA goon with an assault rifle slung over his shoulder, a clown in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

From memory each outbreak between Israel and Hamas or their equivalents has always been started by Hamas or their equivalents. Israel then responds in kind . The current war is no different. Hamas started the current war with its actions on Oct 7 th inst. And Israel is reacting. This time is different to all other times precisely because of the nature , viciousness , size and a big surprise under the noses of the Israelis of Hamas’s actions on Oct last. This on top of the constant daily/almost daily launching of rockets launched into Israel, the daily fear of attacks on busses, in the streets - including suicide attacks.

I am of the opinion , because of the above, that Israel has had enough and wants to put an end to the cause of it - ie. Wipe Hamas off the map so that none of the above ever happens again. I do not think that this will solve the problem

iMO the solution lies with negotiation which has to be initiated by outside states/agencies . The setting up of two states would be a core part of the ultimate agreement otherwise it will go on and on and on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

Like they currently do for the gas under the West Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

So as a proper Christian you would believe (a la Edwin Poots) that the world began 6000+ years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

Please explain how the Palestinian peoples lot will be improved by Hamas releasing those hostages? Israels stated goal is the destruction of Hamas and they seem hell bent on killing as many Palestinians as they can in the process. If this is how they are acting knowing there's hostages likely hidden in those buildings, how do you think they will react if there's no hostages. Numerous reports from Oct 7th indicate a large number of the casulties were caused by the IDF tank and helicopter attacks when they counter attacked Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Gaza had 50% unemployment before this war. You'd have to think that their economic situation will be significantly worse for the foreseeable future. At this rate of bombing and relief aid, normal Palestinians will be lucky not to die of starvation or dehydration or disease. They are creating an even worse breeding ground for radicalisation.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

If lsrael's goal is the killing of as many Palestinians as possible they are doing an awful poor job of it, for a society that is built around solidarity and workers coming together to achieve, it's a poor show, unless one looks at the obvious. That they are not trying to kill as many as possible.

If they want a ceasefire then that's what they must do, the targeted strikes will continue until it becomes a ground clearing action. That's where it gets messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Free all the civilian hostages I assume you mean

There's a couple of factors that are making this assault on Gaza so ferocious apart from the obvious reaction to Oct 7th.

1. Netanyahu cannot halt this as when the music stops he knows a reckoning is coming and he'll be the main target of blame.
    2. Added to the emotions of revenge and rage stemming from the Oct 7th attacks is humilliation. Israel has built a myth around their military and intelligence services. They've built an arms industry around it, the all seeing eye of Mossad and Shin Bet was unable to predict such a huge operation planned right within a tiny enclave it monitors 24/7 (it's a big reason why many doubt the veracity of the supposed recording they release of Hamas operatives talking and usually justifying the IDF's latest hospital or school bombing). Some of the most heinous crimes in history have been driven by humiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Palestinians tagged with ID numbers by Israel, now where have we seen that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

You right Hamas won’t be destroyed by bombs

So How can they be destroyed?

seeing how they want death on both sides and don’t want a two state solution or any solution that is not their version of the final solution

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement

Israel's stated goal is the destruction of Hamas, if Hamas released the hostages today do you think Israel would agree to a ceasefire or reduce the scale of the attacks? I cannot see why Hamas would release any hostages, it's the one small card they have left. This isn't a fair fight after all, the marquess of queensbury rules don't apply. One side has F35's, Apache's, tanks, drones, ships, nuclear weapons and the backing of the worlds only super power while the other has Ak47's and rockets made out of water pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I an beginning to wonder if the PA leadership are really interested in a two state solution. The leadership live well and have vast fortunes. There have been no elections since 2006 in the West Bank. . Regarding a ceasefire, I have a feeling we will see one as soon as Hamas are on the brink of defeat. They will do a Russia on it and make out it's a good will gesture to release the hostages that are still alive. We may even see a situation where Shizwar( if he is still alive) and others leave for another country in an agreed deal to end the fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

If it excludes people then yes it's unjust.

If it specifically mentions black people for example and not any ethnicity, then people are still free to target Asian people etc...

Should be protection from hate crimes for all ethnic groups.

The bill being introduced in the US protects Jewish people but excludes Muslims etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Never ever ever again can you take part in any discussion on here where you express morality or concern for the common good and I'll take your word for it.

The most evil minds are watching this with glee, your post suggest you are in the front row.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

How is negotiation with Hamas possible?

Is there a more untrustworthy group on planet earth.

if negotiations are impossible/useless then there is no chance of a ceasefire, unless Hamas releases all hostages and surrenders unconditionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

A ceasefire now would be a victory for all the innocent women and children in Gaza. They get to live.

Israel really need to pause and regroup and rethink their strategy.

I can't see Hamas being able to attack Israel again like they did in October. Israel is not under imminent threat from Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Jordan have welcomed Blinken today, two weeks after they rejected patsy 'president' joe biden

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Bombing a children's hospital now. Hard to see how a state could sink much lower

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There are negotiations going on all the time behind the scenes. Do you remember when John Major said in the commons there would be no talk with the IRA as it would make him sick to his stomach. What was happening in private? With this in mind negotiations with Hamas are taking place via the Qatari Government. We even had Joe Biden thanking Qatar for their role in such talks.

I could be wrong, but I think a point will come where Qatar put pressure on the Hamas Leadership political leadership to agree a ceasefire.

• Advertisement

Oh give them a chance, I'm sure there's a orphanage needs levelling. This is Israel we're talking about, whale **** won't sink as low as they will.

Advertisement