Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rdser

I actually find dobbo hard to take on the news at 1. Not sure why I just find him disingenuous for some reason. I have visions of him poking his interviewee with a stick saying dance monkey dance.. just seems to be looking for something sensationalist to come out of fairly weak interviews and topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Tinter Box

Any non paywall link? Would love to hear what statement was!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭Tow

RTE News just had an article about RTE looking for an extra 9 million (I assume on top of everything else) from the government to give all the employees a pay rise. This works out as 3,600 euro a year including contractors or 5,000 if only employees get the increase.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

I can't find that article on the rte news app. If it's true, it shows a complete lack of any understanding of the public opinion at this very moment. They must be living in a D4 bubble and it needs bursting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

• Advertisement

That's a brilliantly written article by Ellen Coyne. The last line hammered the whole thing home. "Some of us want a revolution, while others want a dinner party".

RTE will never look inward at the waste and just wants to continue to party at everyone's expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

But it is fact, RTE do push the governments agenda whether you realise it or not. With respect to RTE news there are numerous regional stories that are of significant importance that do not get exposure. The type of stories that would negatively highlight the governments ideology. RTE News will produce reports crafted and illustrated in an effort to get a person to think in a certain way that would be compliant with the governments ideology. Its much more deeper than just say giving one particular minister air time or the last word with respect to another. Irrespective of how you or I may feel about it, it is fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You know I'd not be surprised if some of that audience are the same people that come here to derail this thread.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

How extraordinary that this event was full of journalists but only Ellen Coyne has seen fit to write about it (and so well).

No one wanted to hear uncomfortable truths. Can you imagine Pat Kenny, Ireland’s most experienced current affairs broadcaster, shutting down a genuine speaker so rudely (boring!!) if they criticised any other Irish institution?

I love her “Srecko Horvat quote”. Did anyone in the audience know who she was talking about? She couldn’t credit Mao, so she just faked it.🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

How many people under 30 watch the RTE news do you think? Do you really think RTE news is that important in shaping opinion?

• Advertisement

More so than any other outlet. Particularly with older people outside the group you mentioned. Many take rte as gospel.

Local radio is king for those over 70 not RTE. Under 30 don't listen to RTE. The vast majority I know between 30 and 50 listen to podcasts so I'm not sure who listens to RTE.

It's both really for the older group. They listen to the locals for the deaths and stuff like that but rte for 6 and 9pm news etc. I don't know many who get their news from podcasts tbh, from any age group. Entertainment or special interest stuff yes, news no.

I don't know whether they shape opinion or not tbh.

Those under 30 possibly use RTÉ News website. I haven't watched a full news bulletin. I am now old haha. But I'd say most of my news (including RTÉ's) is via the internet. I read, in the car I might get the news but lately I have my spotify and I mainly listen to music.

I think RTÉ is more than just news and sport.

I'd mention the various numbers of RTÉ podcasts a while back, who listens to any of their news podcasts or sports podcasts.

Though they have culled all of their sports on twitter, it will be interesting to see if those sports podcasts are also dropped. Without anyone ever noticing they existed.

______

Yesterday

I'm older we have a quick look at the news headlines and that's about it, for in-depth news I would look at several sources, it's more the idea that RTE has some sort of power in shaping an opinion that is questionable at best.

I was listening to a political correspondent from a national newspaper being interviewed and what struck me was how much they seemed to be floundering in who they were talking to, it was as if the same-sex sex referendum had passed them by, the same with the abortion referendum, or multicultural Ireland, or the world of Google and other similar tech companies in Ireland.

What is it with the longing for some sort of rural conservative cohort that no longer exists?

?

Particularly for music and the internet there is no longer any need to rely on RTE or any local radio station to hear what you want. Unfortunately music radio died in this country and it happened on Dec 31st 1988 IMO. As much as I use Spotify myself, I miss the type of music radio that was presented to me in Dublin during the 1980s as it was the soundtrack to my youth and the folks who were involved, some of which are no longer with us. RTE never did it for me especially Radio 2/2FM as I always felt even during that time that they were always trying to catch up.

I'm older we have a quick look at the news headlines and that's about it, for in-depth news I would look at several sources, it's more the idea that RTE has some sort of power in shaping an opinion that is questionable at best.

@mariaalice They set the agenda by the news that they either follow or initially report on.

You could say that most news outlets are using RTÉ, The Irish Times and to a lesser degree the Independent to report on the issues of the day.

Thus RTÉ becomes this agenda setter.

The internet allows you to research more in-depth sources.

This is how the news agenda is set.

______

Yesterday

That is true, I have an idea we can have a committee made up of a statically correct representation of the citizens of Ireland setting the news agenda that is bound to be free of any bias :).

Really? Where would these Representatives get their news from? Who would choose these diverse people. Would certain people be exclude because they may not think the same way as the others on the committee. How long could you been on the Committee?

IMO RTÉ should only provide news report and investigative journalism.

Neither should be presented in a bias way, rather in a factual way. It is then up to the others to either decided to argue against or for something or to ignore it because it bares no relevance.

RTÉ online is filled with opinion pieces, from Reporters who are rarely on the TV, doing what they should be doing, reporting.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Second that. Read that piece. Quite incredible. Shame on Pat Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Which government are you talking about? Do you mean

a) RTÉ changes horses after every election?

b) all governments for the past 60+ years have had the same agenda (although Dev and Cosgrave are spinning in their graves)?

c) RTÉ favours the current coalition because it includes

• FF?
    • FG?
    • Greens?
    • some combination of two of the above?

d) I’m agin the gubbimint!

Post edited by Caquas on

Who do you think?

Or am I requesting an unrealistic deliverable?

There are stories or news that don't get the traction they should. I don't think it has to do with an agenda it has to do with complexity and social media dumbing things down to an extent.

An issue with the HSE that has a simple narrative of the HSE, waiting lists or children waiting for treatment, can be put into simple bit size pieces, so makes the agenda, a complex issue of poor management in the HSE, or wasting money on privatisation of a service they could run cheaper themselves the cost comes from a different budge, that sort of thing can't be put into easy bit size pieces so it does not make the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

PK has been a big defender of Tubs in this whole debacle. I think he'd also be of the mindset of Moya.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

First of all, fair play to you - it isn't easy being the only dissenting voice in the room. From Coynes report, it's clear that Pat Kenny and the room behaved disgracefully towards you, so you can be happy that you hit a nerve, if nothing else.

Secondly, the report of the event made me angry. It was a love in for media types who clearly think that they and RTE are too good for the country that funds them. It also shows just how cosy things are across the media generally when no one else was willing to ask the obvious and difficult questions.

It's becoming clear to all now that the toothpaste out of the tube when it comes to RTE and the public (and their money) have been lost forever, at least under the current model of funding.

Close it down, sell off Montrose and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭seanrambo87

@RoTelly fair play to you Ro. You have the courage of your convictions. People like you are of rare stock and this country could do with more like you. The fighting Irish? Ha, it's a myth. The few who do fight for right are pulled back down into the bucket by the rest of the crabs.

I actually had some respect for Kenny until I read that. I enjoyed his insight from time to time. The man is a shill and he can see the writing on the wall. He'll have to start attaching locks to more and more gates in his area to keep him in the style he's accustomed to.

So you'd have to laugh

These are the members of the RTS committee, I have removed the lesser know people but all are connected to RTÉ in some way

• Deputy Chair: Niall Cogley - A good old fashioned RTÉ Nepo Baby - Former head of sport and then head of events at TV3
    • Larry Bass - Mr Sunday Night TV himself
    • Mark Carpenter - Sky
    • Alan Esslemont - DG TG4
    • Adrian Lynch - Deputy DG RTÉ
    • Bill Malone - Former Controller of RTÉ2, former head of content TV3
    • Aoife Stokes - Head of TV VMTV (aka TV3)

ho hum!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could someone cut and paste it?

I'm only getting a capthca repeatedly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement