Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I read a lot of threads and occasionally throw in my 2c like most here, just find it unusual to see a thread where one poster replies to almost every single post

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's an interesting hearing, not least for the various evidence that was not allowed in the initial trial. As someone above says, not a great comment on the US justice system that important relevant arguments and evidence were disallowed.

The Martens obviously inflicted the fatal blows but it is important to keep an open mind on the circumstances too. This business of labelling them pyschos etc etc is facile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭Musicrules

The testimony from others doesn't paint Jason Corbett in a good light. Obviously, that may be the intention but it could also be true. He could have been violent and abusive. Of course, that doesn't justify his murder but it changes everything I've heard about this case. It has been painted as a kind, innocent man being targeted by a nutter and her father in order to get his kids. If there's any truth in these allegations, the real story would be about an abusive relationship that was ended violently by the victim of the abuse. Neither Jason Corbett or the Martens come out well. You'd have to feel really sorry for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

my own view is that whatever coercive control existed - it existed on both sides in different ways -the couples obvious fractious relationship was not one-sided by any means- Molly has a history of behaviour that is antagonistic and destructive - her stated role as the children’s parent greatly exaggerated to the degree she was claiming she was the real mother of one of them to some people.

It was obvious she was also vying to become their legal guardian - something Jason obviously realised was the worst possible thing that could happen to his kids.

It was likely easy to rile Jason into an agitated state given the above - press record and you have all sorts- it would have been interesting to see the videos had Jason pressed record on his camera phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

important to point out that these testimonies were hearing are from people classed as “friends of Molly”

Pity the “friends of Jason” can’t or haven’t been called- there would likely be an alternative version

• Advertisement

I actually think it's important to point out that it wasn't her friend who overheard the call in the car and spoke about his anger. She was both their friend or possibly more an acquaintance. That would make the testimony far more believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,996 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Coercive control is when one completely dominates the other.

The independent evidence heard this week certainly points to that happening in this marriage.

Either way claiming the children were hers is not coercive control, there was a claim she had a miscarriage could have been residual from that there was also a claim that Jason encouraged her to say to people when they met the kids were hers as it avoided the truthful genesis of how their relationship started.

I think there is absolutely no doubt there was love and fondness from the kids to her and vice versa. It's far more plausible he used the kids given the established patterns to control her.

She certainly had some problems though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭crusd

Given she suffered from it all her life he could not have conducted much of a review

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Do you concede that because Jason is now dead, that we can’t hear his side about coercive control and her being possibly coercively controlling?

it a crock of nonsense from a defence doing everything to try minimise the killers’ actions..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that her gone girl behavior was frustrating him a lot and there may have been some raised voices as happens in most relationships from time to time and she made sure she captured that as part of a grand plan.

His late wife's family were very fond of him and that speaks volumes. Honestly don't know how posters on this thread are buying her version of events. Give your heads a wobble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not a pop at you, and not at anyone posting about the "Civil Trial" so far as I can recall the wrongful death suit was settled in 2019.

At least with regards to Thomas Martens. There may be a lien against any of Molly's future income but I find it odd that I can't find any record of a settlement for wrongful death against Molly on PACER or other databases.

It may well be at time of action, she had no assets but I find it odd that if so, an attachment order for future income wasn't sought.

Yep. Husband and wife squabbles (as old as the fooking hills) and folks debating it, as if it somehow explains/justifies the barbarism..

None of us were there, none of us were involved in the relationship, we don't know what it was like. I had thought it was like you described, a nice man got in a relationship with a mad woman who tried to take his kids and then murder him. There are some question over that narrative now. It wasn't all one sided. Because some of the testimony is coming from neutral sources, I tend to believe it. Again, this doesn't justify the murder in any way. They should get a further sentence for that. But if Corbett was abusive and controlling, it changes things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

It’s American justice. The hot white woman has to be the victim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

In what way does it change things? If he was coercive and controlling why didn't she just leave him? We know her father didn't like Jason Corbett, so surely he'd have been only too delighted to come and collect his little princess.

Maybe she loved the kids and treated them as her own so didn't want to leave them? Why doesn't anyone in an abusive relationship just up and leave? It's not as simple as you're making out but again, we weren't involved. We don't know the truth of what was happening. We're only going on what we read from the case. Some of the evidence of Corbett being abusive are from neutral sources, why do you doubt that testimony?

Dashing his brains out certainly isn't the answer.

Abusive how, exactly? Was he beating her up on a regular basis, or are folks so desperate to try paint him as abusive that raised voices and a few texts too many are now enough to make him out to be some abuser?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Exactly this. Christ Music how can you believe anything from that side given their capability to do the most barbaric act.

Take a sleeping defenceless father from his children when they had already lost their mother. They are devious cruel people. That has already been proven. People can be coached, manipulated, or seeds planted over time into believing an alternative version of events. With law enforcement help.

• Advertisement

The other thing I was thinking was the manner that they decided to murder him

Beating him to death was more a way for them to try explain and justify some sort of struggle whereby Molly claims he attacked her and they defended themselves with whatever was "lying" around.

They didn't shoot him to death, as this would have been more difficult to explain as regards him attacking her and a gun being pulled and him being shot to death

We're talking about two very nasty bastids here in what they planned and carried out....against a man that was pretty much defenseless and unaware before they attacked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭baldbear

"The court heard that in June and July 2013, Ms Martens, 31, told family friend Lynn Shanahan that she had sought legal advice on custody of the children in the event of a divorce.The court also heard that in the autumn of 2014, Molly Corbett spoke to her attorney about her rights to the children.

Mr Shipman’s findings of fact in the custody case stated: “The decedent [dead person] would not consent to a step-parent adoption even though Molly Corbett expressed a desire to adopt the child.”

It appears Molly herself thought he was going to leave here. She was obsessed with having kids and she would try and do anything to keep them.

For what it's worth, I've never bought into the St. Jason narrative. There's only one person who truly knows what went on in that marriage. As we know, she is the ultimate unreliable narrator. She has a track record of telling lies and is prepared to say and do anything in order to avoid more prison time. Even when she was in prison, she couldn't stop getting herself into trouble. Jason may not have been an angel but we need to take what she says with many grains of salt. We need to question who's defending her and what exactly they saw with their own two eyes. Not what Molly told them.

I happen to be close to somebody who was married to a woman who bore some of the same traits as Molly Martens. While we always have to be careful about taking relationship stories at face value, it made for grim listening. Even marriage break-ups to "sane" people bring out the worst in some exes. False accusations and using the kids as weapons are par for the course. The truth lies somewhere between St. Jason and Jason the domestic abuser. I'm just glad that the family were able to quickly get Jack and Sarah away from that dreadful family.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I think this is the reason for the trip over to Ireland. Long term planning.

What would be unusual about that?

She was raising them as a mother.

No one has suggested the relationship between her and the children was not genuinely loving.

No. But what was she prepared to do in order to keep them?

They didn't shoot him to death, as this would have been more difficult to explain as regards him attacking her and a gun being pulled and him being shot to death

In North Carolina, with their nutty gun laws and even nuttier self defence laws?

Giving their open carry policy it would be unusual he wasn't shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm sure Jason's kids will tell us in time,

But grabbing a child up by the hand and dragging them through a kitchen to forcibly hold their head under a tap to scare them is Child Abuse

I'm sure Jason's kids will tell us in time,

They already told us.

It's one of the main reasons we are where we are.

• Advertisement

For sure, I don't think anyone disagrees with that here. It does paint a different light on matters though.

Advertisement