Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In reality, it's most likely that he did gamble while at Newcastle... like, he's said that he has a serious gambling addiction, and habitually gambled for years while playing at Milan, where the repercussions are more serious than England with potential criminal prosecution. So under those circumstances, it seems most likely that he continued his habits after moving clubs. Tbh I'd kinda assumed that was baked into his case and punishment - didn't realise his case was only limited to his time in Italy. Should be an easy thing to check anyway, if they have the same access to his gambling records that the Italians did.

If it's found he did, would it be an additional penalty, or a concurrent penalty I wonder? I'd kinda expect the latter... say, a 6 month ban running alongside the 10 month ban rather than extending it.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've been saying the same thing for a couple of years. This isn't something new I've suddenly concocted. I was saying this well before Ten Hag was hired.

If you have higher ups who are not football people getting involved with players it's not going to work out well.

I've been saying for years that there's something wrong at United. They've had very successful managers who have failed. They've had world class players who have not performed.

The likelihood that all these great players and managers are at fault just doesn't add up.

We do know that a couple of previous managers had no say on transfers.

There's something wrong somewhere and it's highly likely it's not the manager or players that are at the root of the problems. Too many top class managers and players haven't performed.

You've got Sancho, Mkhitaryan, Van De Beek, Maguire, Antony, Pogba, Depay, Schneiderian, Bailly, Di Maria, Lukaku, Matic who've all flunked at United and then Wan-Bissaka, Fred and Martial who haven't exactly worked out.

I forgot Alexis Sanchez and I'm sure there's a couple more I haven't thought of.

You've had Mourinho who I believe won league titles with every club he managed before United.

You've had Van Gaal too.

Those are two top class managers and both failed at United.

When you look through that list of players and those managers and Ten Hag are you going to tell me that it's all down to the managers? Or down to those players being bad investments because they didn't have the talent?

Two more names to add, Schweinsteiger and Ander Herrera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

He was spotted having a fag outside a pub in Newcastle the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Rashford dropped from the squad. Big statement from Ten Hag.

Edit: Tem Hag said he is injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Rashford not in the squad because of 'late fitness test', but coincidentally the same week that ETH publicly scathed Rashford for going to a nightclub and forced him to apologise. The same Rashford that is good friends with Sancho.

Is it tactical reasons that Evans is starting ahead of Varane again this week?

ETH not making it easy on himself, as bad as the players and other factors have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That midfield doesn't scream defensive solidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah not playing an injured player. What a statement.

Do you actually believe that he is injured? The same Rashford that played through a broken back a couple years ago.

Maybe. But you believe Ten Hag? Same man who told the press that playing Evans over Varane was tactical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

Rashford doesn’t deserve to start in fairness, he’s been in dreadful form. Think I heard he was rock bottom of the chance conversion table for forwards in the PL this season.

• Advertisement

Antony wearing dangly earrings during the warm up. They don’t give one sh*t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Always enjoy a good chuckle when I see Johnny Evans starting, in the year 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

To me, it feels like ETH is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Plenty United fans have been calling for Rashford to be dropped and now he's injured, so perfect time to 'drop' him. If he is dropped and ETH is saying diffferently publically, he's protecting Rashford from the media backlash of being 'dropped' and allowing him to get his act together.

It's a good move imo. The bar is so low at the moment that for me, I've zero expectations with this game I'd rather see the likes of Garnacho start in his place.

Similar to Varane, been awful form this year and getting dropped in favour of Jonny Evans who was deemed not good enough years ago. The mystery around his injury takes the spotlight off him somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Oh yeah definitely a good move by ETH,I don't think he is injured but ETH is also right to say he is injured and keep all disciplinary matters behind closed doors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Seems a strange thing to lie about and again would just highlight EtH lacks leadership. If Rashford is dropped for poor form or bad behaviour he has to say it or, at the very least refuse to comment on the reason. Pretending that he's injured doesn't do anything for EtH credibility.

EtH days are numbered, i don't se how he can turn this around given the players dont seem to have much respect for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In my opinion, there are lots of Utd fans talking in completely impractical and unrealistic terms. If ETH keeps losing games, he will have to be relieved of his duties. Sure, it’s all a symptom of the bigger picture issues and many of the players are useless ingrates. But the ‘give ETH two years and make sure the players know he won’t be sacked to break the cycle’ chat is pure nonsense.

Can’t keep losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ah... its poppy fascism time of the year again.

But you better not dare bring a palestinian flag into the stadium or you will get turfed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Jesus, Maguire looks absolutely out of it there. Got a shoulder to the chin, didn't look terribly bad from replays.

Actually looks more like his cheek, his face is very red from the impact.

Yeah I'd agree. He needed to be dropped and this is a way of saving face for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Well said. But of course great britain never did nothing bad to noone over the centuries. If any flag should be banned, it's the union jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

McTominay steps up again.

That's brutal from Fulham. Checking for offside though.

The offside rule is bizarre, there's 3 players offside, but have they interfered?

This decision is taking ages.

Offside given. It took 3 and a half minutes to make that decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I hate these marginal offside checks. Just award the bloody goal, there's negligible benefit in these ones. The rule was introduced to stop hatching in the box, not to deprive us of goals in a melee in the box.

Offside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

That should be allowed ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

lol thats a ridiculous decision

Incredibly harsh that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I wish they'd get rid of VAR

I would hate that goal to be disallowed for my team. But I understand the rules. No way it should have taken that long once it was established that Maguire was offside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Have to say that looks harsh for United, but I remember them getting huge number of VAR decisions in their favour a while back, back in Ole's day. It seems like it's completely swung the other way now. I was waiting for this to happen.

Dat's football.

4 minutes to make a decision and that’s offside.

I really don’t understand offside these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's a ridiculous decision against United

Correct decision was made on the offside.

It has its benefits if implemented properly but that call was dreadful. That goal should have stood. Between that and the softest penalty ever awarded by VAR last week, Utd should feel very aggrieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Has there been a goal disallowed for that type of offside by var in any other game this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Tandey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Nope and never will be again but hey its against Man Utd so it's all good

I don't support Utd but I don't like perfectly reasonable goals being ruled out over trivialities. The attacking players didn't gain any advantage in that goal and there was no interference. A stupid call made worse by taking so long to determine the outcome. If it is not immediately obvious, then move on.

Just as well Onana saved that Wilson one he was onside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

No consistency, that's far less of an offside than when Akanji had to jump out of the way of the ball here, and this goal was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Exactly. It’s as if var is looking for any excuse to rule a goal out. Fans want to be entertained and see goals. Common sense should prevail but the implementation of var is horrendous. They haven’t a clue. It should work well but they’re continually making a mess of it.

A goal for City would never be ruled out these days though unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The woe is me shtick from Man U fans is laughable. As if they never get a decision.

Offside call was correct. Maguire was offside, he made a play for the ball. The defender lifted his leg in tandem with Maguire which caused him to miss the ball. If Maguire is not there he clears that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yep. Dunno what happened to the "clear and obvious" definition for VAR intervention but it seems common sense has gone completely out the window with referees these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Yeah, Utd got screwed on VAR there.

Especially when you consider the Akanji one City got away with earlier in the season.

Iwobi with a good break from his own half, but a wild shot miles off target from the edge of the box. That's Fulham's problem, they can't score goals. Losing Mitrovic so late was a real blow. Fulham haven't scored a first half goal at home this season. Their only wins have come against Everton, Luton and Sheffield United.

I haven't seen the United one but there were loads of calls that City goal above was the wrong call and should have been ruled out.

Clear and obvious isn't for offside decisions though I thought?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ref was called to the screen for a subjective offside so at that point it's down to his opinion alone really. What does subjective offside even mean anyways you're either off or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement