Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Well she definitely didn't the gig just on her lawyering skills Ms 'forgets to check the box for a jury trial'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

In further nincompoopery, trumps defence seems to be calling people names and when gagged, asking his lawyers to call people names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Such a shower of fuckwits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

They are pretty much saying they will implement a fascist state if re-elected while pulling US out of NATO giving Russia free reign over Eastern Europe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't know if I'd go that far. I read this piece at the barber's earlier. The concept of a second Trump presidency is terrifying though. Essentially, several right wing think tanks have been pumping out policy papers for various policies in order to have them ready to go in the event the rapist wins office. The first presidency was a toxic farce limited mainly by Trump's stupidity, the barebones checks and balances in the American system and some of the people around him. Now, the people around him will all be pre-selected MAGA cultists with the blueprints for a nasty, cruel racist agenda already in place. I can't see him winning but I'm far from confident that Biden's second presidency is inevitable.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

To be the next Melania, he’d have to marry her and then proceed to immediately cheat on her :P

His relationship with Melania was clearly threadbare before he even entered the White House. Somewhat telling that she burst into tears when he won. She’d have to publicly put up with this cheating lummox for at least the next 4 years. It would not surprise me in the slightest if we learn that they never shared a bedroom at the White House. Wouldn’t surprise me either if we learn that he was sleeping around while in office too. (Likely only the Secret Service know if this one happened, and we might not learn of anything like that for years)

It was more than little skeevy that his primary side-kick for much of his time in office was the 20-something Hope Hicks whom he nicknamed “Hopey”. I somewhat suspected / feared that if he hadn’t already made moves on her, he was hoping that he eventually could.

Melania not turning up with him lately is no surprise. She only appeared at all during his presidency because she had to eventually do something as First Lady. Beyond that she appears to only be married to him on paper and is reported to be living separately from him at Mara-a-lago.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He would have to cheat on her immediately after giving birth

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

President Joe Biden is trailing Donald J. Trump in five of the six most important battleground states one year before the 2024 election, suffering from enormous doubts about his age and deep dissatisfaction over his handling of the economy and a host of other issues, new polls by The New York Times and Siena College have found. The results show Biden losing to Trump, his likeliest Republican rival, by margins of three to 10 percentage points among registered voters in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada and Pennsylvania. Mr. Biden is ahead only in Wisconsin, by two percentage points, the poll found.

Discontent pulsates throughout the Times/Siena poll, with a majority of voters saying Biden’s policies have personally hurt them. The survey also reveals the extent to which the multiracial and multigenerational coalition that elected Biden is fraying. Demographic groups that backed Biden by landslide margins in 2020 are now far more closely contested, as two-thirds of the electorate sees the country moving in the wrong direction.

Voters under 30 favor Biden by only a single percentage point, his lead among Hispanic voters is down to single digits and his advantage in urban areas is half of Trump’s edge in rural regions. And while women still favored Biden, men preferred Trump by twice as large a margin, reversing the gender advantage that had fuelled so many Democratic gains in recent years.

Black voters — long a bulwark for Democrats and for Biden — are now registering 22 per cent support in these states for Trump, a level unseen in presidential politics for a Republican in modern times.

In a remarkable sign of a gradual racial realignment between the two parties, the more diverse the swing state, the farther Biden was behind, and he led only in the whitest of the six.

This is a really interesting poll, quite startling to say the least.

Could Trump actually win the election, if he isnt locked up by then possibly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Hard to know what to make of it - It's a year out so in some ways it's meaningless (Polling had Obama losing by a landslide at this same stage running up to the 2012 Election). And there are WAY more variables in play now than there were then.

However , it's also a wake up call to the Democrats that they need to get their vote out and cannot be complacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

She didn’t move from NY until 6 months into the presidency. Even then, she was based in Maryland, where her parents lived during Trump’s term. They had seperate bedrooms in the White House, the first presidential couple to do so since JFK and Jackie O.

Also, according to Michael Wolff’s book on his time in the WH, the relationship is blatantly transactional and for show. The Trump team were afraid of a possible release of a rumoured video showing Donald assaulting her in a lift in LA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I've said it previously , but my guess is that she will be out the door the second Barron hits 18 (or whatever age he gets access to his Trust fund).

She has re-negotiated the Pre-nup several times , I'd assume the most recent one covers how much more money he'll have to give her to stick around until after the Election and/or another term in Office.

Complacency is probably one of the danger factors for 2024 (that and the GOP simply trying to cheat by way of gerrymandering and good old-fashioned voter supression.

I will hope that the Dems and their supports will not take 2024 for granted and employ *at least* the same energy as in 2020. They certainly could have gone for a better canditate, but damn near anything is better than the tornado of authoritarian stupidity that would rip though the States upon a second Trump term...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Agreed, but I'd also say they may just be 'Biden' their time with their strongest campaign points until next year, when Trump will likely be either in the middle of the cases against him or possibly already found guilty in some of them. The classified documents case in particular, the campaign strategy writes itself. "Trump has been found guilty /Trump is currently on trial for mishandling our nation's security and classified information. Is this the man you'd trust with our nation's army for the next 4 years? Vote Biden!"

Mobilising the vote to try and counteract any attempts at voter suppression will also be vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The voting message should simply be

"Either vote for a competent, all be it aged democrat.... or a rapist."

"Either vote for a competent, all be it aged democrat.... or a traitor."

there you go!

It could be a series of a set of ads.

"Either vote for a competent, all be it aged democrat.... (insert factual insult)."

Rapist, traitor, fraud, failed businessman, serial adulterer etc etc.

There would be plenty to work with!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭pjordan

"Either vote for a competent, all be it aged democrat.... or a dangerous, despotic, deranged dictator"

and the really scary thing is that a huge amount of US voters don't actually seem to see anything whatsoever wrong with that.

Very troubling especially when one reads that BBC article as to what a second Trump presidency is likely to look like. Basically gloves off this time and no subtly whatsoever, pretty much right out of the 1930's German playbook...

The reality is that a large swathe of American voters don't know anything about the things Trump is guilty of and what little they might know about it is entirely seen through a lens that describes everything as fake and invented etc.

So it's less a case of "not seeing anything wrong with what he has done" and more that they just don't believe that he has done them because that's what they've had drummed into them by the only news outlets they consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It really is a sad state that those are really the only options being presented. My God, 300 million people and these are the best they can come up with? As said, a competent but aged president with a pretty decent track record but old. Or a self-avowed sexual predator who is on tape attempting election fraud. Leaving everything else aside, how can Americans think the US is the Greatest Democracy In The World (tm).

They could genuinely vote in a convicted criminal who's very first act would be to legally pardon himself of his crimes. And this is deemed acceptable.

If not for the impact it'll have on global politics and especially others trying to copy the Trump playbook (given the impact he's already had on political discourse nationally and internationally), I'd be of a mind to think they deserve everything they get if they elect him again. But unfortunately, electing him again will have serious knock-on effects that just can't be ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The age thing is just an excuse. Biden has done nothing to imply that he is incapable of the job. If it weren't his age, it would be something else. With Obama, it was a lack of experience. With Clinton, it was too much experience.

If it was age then they wouldn't be voting for Trump either, De Santis or whoever would be in a commanding lead in the primaries.

Just like in the 2015 election when millions said they didn't really like Trump but just couldn't accept Clinton getting the role, age is just the excuse to make it look like they are not siding with such a terrible candidate as Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I read an article about June which interviewed a senior Biden campaign staffer and yeah the Biden campaign wont ramp up properly until January. However those latest opinion polls should be sending shockwaves through the campaign already. Especially the demographic numbers such as young people being almost 50/50 or blacks, latinos and suburban soccer moms. Biden won all those demographics by significant numbers in 2020 but if they are polling close to 50/50 now theres a trend there that needs to be reversed.

Bidens main trump card for this election is that ts the economy, stupid. However he has a huge problem with his political messaging in that what he has actually achieved isnt actually getting through to voters. Like right now his administration has the economy absolutely motoring along with GDP of 4.9%. Which is the highest it has ever been since the 1960s and JFK. So the Biden administration has broken a 60 year economic record and outperformed all presidents before him since JFK. The administration is creating more jobs per quarter than has been done in decades and the American economy is absolutely red hot right now. Yet voters are not realising this at all because the political messaging has been so bad. Even in some polls more voters are trusting Trump with the economy than Biden despite there being a direct comparison of how Biden has outperformed Trump on that metric.

No doubt when the Biden campaign ramps up in the new year they will hammer home those points about the economy & job creation. But they are approaching it standing on their back foot rather than on a forward foot because the political messaging by the administration has been so bad and because the lack of messaging has allowed fake news to fill the information vacuum. So now they have to go out and convince people that he is stronger on the economy instead of the starting point being that it is an already accepted fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It isn't the best they can do. Not by a long shot but that's the point of the two party cartel system. It seems to permeate so much of American society. I remember John Oliver's coverage of broadband and he showed a map of how the giants like AT&T and Verizon had carved the country up into territories. The only way I can fathom how they think they're the greatest democracy in the world is that they can't afford the luxury of introspection. The second a critical mass of people start asking questions, the whole corporate project comes crashing down so popular culture relentlessly pushes a series of myths to prevent that, aided and abetted by social media.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,421 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

etc

A public crime will be committed if there isn't audio leaked from the courtroom 😂

• Advertisement

can hear him sinking himself

Before he left office and after the 6th, he put himself back in charge of the Trust -- he knew he had lost the election.

When he re-entered the race and tried to beat indictments to the chase, he put himself back off.

This will be a damning piece of trivia for the Jury in DC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement