Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Good reason to avoid them unless a smart tariff is what you want

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

Can anyone that switched to Flogas community during the summer let me know what current rates are?

I started on 33.74 day, 38.15 peak, and 23.11 off peak.

I've yet to receive a bill and I'm wondering if the reductions have changed rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

Looks like we were on the same plan and my contract was up yesterday. I talked to EI too and getting similar response to you, 10% off. Giving

35.05 c/unit on electric, 272 standing +VAT

11.61c/unit on gas, 167 standing +VAT

They did say that I could get 14% discount if I activated my smart meter and could stay on same 24 hour rate. This is why I am querying how wise or not it is to activate the smart meter. I thought it wasn't value for money and there was no going back so I am still nervous about activating. Is it worth the risk for an extra 4% discount....

Talked to SSE. They may have lower unit rates and standing charge - 31.16c/unit & 9.488c/unit.These are the discounted rates. However, some companies include their discount in the rates quoted and some don't. Really need to watch what they say very carefully. Not sure also if SSE were quoting only if I activated smart meter. My head was spinning at that stage!

Good luck with your search everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Flogas community was a fixed rate plan, so the rates won’t change.

I’d follow up on the lack of bills as you could be on a higher rate. Took me a long time to get the correct rate applied after I found out that they were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

Perfect thanks. Yes need to get lack of bill sorted. Have an email from them confirming rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Moving house in a couple of weeks and need to get utility providers for gas and electricity. On the Bonkers site Yuno came in as the cheapest for electricity with Bord Gais for heating. But I don't know anyone who has used Yuno and just wonder what customer service is like? I had EI in my last home and it took 5 months of total frustration and 2 solicitors letters to get a refund due. So, I'm now concerned about customer service. I know it's a challenge with all companies but wonder if anyone has any experience of issues with Yuno?

Check you have picked the right option, there’s a selection box for only show results available to switch, you might need to untick that

yuno is the only company allowing bonkers to use them to switch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Signed up to Yuno and no issue , no smart meter and i had my last meter reading to hand as was previous day i read it.

Yes as i had to prepay via card and signed up with no photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Cool... Just be aware that the Yuno T&C mean that you are effectively requesting and agreeing to getting a smart meter installed, IIRC anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Any bills yet? I thought you had to have a smart meter with a good quality connection to the esbn before they'd accept you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Well i dont want a smart meter, no only got the phone call yesterday of confirmation.

Estimate of next bill 55 euro prediction but only from 2 - 15 nov and its monthly and not 2 months like previous supplier.

" Usage insights vary depending on your meter type. Don't have a smart meter? We’ll request one on your behalf if you call us on 1800 554 400. " I am not calling to say i want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

You might’nt want one but you're getting one!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

From their website:

"Do I need a Smart Meter to join Yuno Energy?

No. But we will request a Smart Meter from ESB Networks on your behalf when you join. "

Their whole model is built on you having a smart meter. If you don't want one, exit before the 14 days are up. Don't moan here if it turns out your incorrect and you do need one. You've been given a heads up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat201

So do people think best to get a fixed rate for year or will variable rates come down over the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭newhouse87

You can have a smart meter activated without having a smart plan, peak rates etc. Mine is like that with 2 years.

a smart meter being used isn’t what’s known as activating it, that is when a company move you over to a smart tariff

all depends what you prefer, personally I don’t like fixed rates

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'd go for the best value offer for you now, if it's the fixed or not go for it.

If rates ever change, it's generally only €50 to break contract. Whenever it saves you more than €50 euro to switch, switch.

As said above, I'd always just go for the best deal on the market at the time.

I imagine rates will fall again next year but it's a 50e break clause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

With Energia the 24 hour smart plan was 2c a unit cheaper than the standard 24 hour plan.

Got my closing bill from EI overnight, not a single attempt did they make to keep my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭JoeCat

Thanks. I wanted to move to Yuno but I didn't want a smart meter. I was yesterday on the chat with them and the la was saying that you could decline a smart meter, yet there T&Cs says that they require a smart meter installation. When I told him about the T&Cs, he said he would consult it and he never came back. I found it dodgie and I think I will move to BG instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

It’s €100 to get out of contract with SSE Fixed rate Plan, just to be aware.

I see this a lot in the thread. EI have their price model. They are the biggest in the market. They don't need your business. They are clearly happy to lose market share right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭JVince

I can't see why anyone would not want a smart meter. It saves you money as you will tend to change usage.

In the 70's they did an experiment in Amsterdam. An estate with identical houses and similar family numbers had widely different consumption of electricity - up to 3 times the lowest.

It was nothing to do with appliances or number of people in the household,it was simply the location of the meter.

Those that had it in the hallway and usage visible daily, had substantially lower bills than those who had it in the garage.

I'd say smart meters and the available insights would make people change their usage patterns (it did change mine) and result in lower bills.

Btw, near certain EI have same rates no matter what meter you have

Im simply saying having an active smart meter does not mean i have to use peak rates etc, im on 24hour plan. I can still see my half hourly usage and on Ei i could see what appliances were consuming what. I still didn't haver a smart plan as in peak rates , that's what people are worried about.

Where does yuno say about moving customers to a smart tariff?

The post above has the snippet from the yuno website, when they get the smart meter in, they will activate it.

The suppliers can only get your smart meter data if you are on a smart tariff.

Im not on a smart tariff and yuno were able to access my meter data without me telling them current read. Ei who i was with for last year also gave me appliance breakdown of usage, again i was not on a smart tariff with peak rates etc. I have been on 24hour plan since i moved into house with active smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

The issue is likely to be when you try and switch to a non-smart plan you will be stuck with smart plans. As others have mentioned there are smart 24 hour plans available. A smart tariff doesn’t mean there is a peak rate.

From Yuno’s T&Cs:

Due to applicable industry rules for smart metering once you move to a Variable Discount Plan Tariff, it is not possible to revert back to a non-smart Tariff.

• Advertisement

EI do a 24 hr smart meter plan, energia do one too, pinenrgy do too, and that's just the ones I know about.

You are on a smart tariff, but a 24 hr one.

Mcc01 (and mcc02) are going to be sunsetted, and most suppliers are offering smart 24 hr tariffs now, but not all. [Yet]

Advertisement