Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I like this young Scottish ref, seems decisive.

Ahern is a f**king cheat-code in the lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Scannell and Nash starting nicely together. Probably should be two scores they've created for each other now.

Gorgeous. Nash won't find that hole too often, but fantastic composure to finish the move.

I was just about to say, we'll learn very little watching Coombes horsing through this Dragons D.

But then he scores a try like that and I'm like... ah feck it, why not.

• Advertisement

If you want, you could just route 1 through this Dragons D for fun. So I'm glad to see backplay continue to be tested. Will be great for Butler's development. It's the only resistance Dragaons will show, with their OK-ish speed off the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Good start for Nash but it's far far too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Great support line and gas from JOD on Nash's try

Such a shame Welsh rugby is so chronically mismanaged and under such financial pressure. You can see their historical DNA emerge at times like that try, and you wonder what kind of force they'd be in the league with the appropriate support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

It's been a while since I've seen an Irish 10 who is able pass as sweetly as Butler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Yellow I assume. Hard to see what else nankivell can do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭50HX

Good call by the ref, overall he had a good game

Ahern was excellent & hopefully Nash is ok as he's in top form with a while now

Nice look building to the squad now v this time last year

The offloading by Edogbo and then Ahern to set up Casey's try..... ohhhhhhh yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Decent performance tonight against poor opposition. Good see some young lads getting a decent run out, plus the two Ryan props going 70 mins. We're top of the league pending the result from Connacht V Ulster but I think it flatters us. We beat very poor Sharks and Dragons sides and just scraped a draw again Benetton. I'd be concerned about the stiffer tests to come which will hopefully coincide with some returning internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Fair, however you can only play what's in front of you...and the results will allow cohesion and confidence build.

I only caught the last 20 minutes, how did butler play overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Oh lord! Quinn and Gleeson getting minutes! Future Irish internationals!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The replay didn’t do it justice. Sublime rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

He was good but playing off front foot ball for all but around 15 minutes. He had one sublime pass for either the disallowed try or one of of the ones that counted. Can't quite recall, I was at the game and haven't watched it back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Butler was excellent tonight and I could watch Daly & Nash play for Munster forever, they're brilliant.

How good are Edogbo & Ahern, brilliant to the two of them start together.

I was impressed with SOB he was good in defence and attack, you'd have to wonder what the AR was watching for SOB's chalked off try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I thought Nash was sensational, he's a sturdy fella with a burst of acceleration and a lovely step. Hope his injury is okay. 5 clean breaks, 12 defenders beaten, 163m made. They couldn't contain him at all this evening.

Coombes was our top tackler (13) and got his usual bulldoze try, Barron did some great work on the deck. Is he our starting 2 now?

Daly has really impressed me the last few games. He was in a funny place for a while where he was getting called into Irish squads/training camps, not getting much gametime and then not having his place when he came back at Munster because Haley was going great guns. He's really shown his stuff these last games, lovely 50/22 today, good in the air and defensively sound.

Great to see Butler get game-time, he looks to have filled out a good bit since I saw him last. Joey's injury looks like it'll be 'months' according to Roundtree after the game so Butler could be important for us. Crap for Joey though. All of a sudden now you've a glut of very young outhalves across the provinces jostling for position. Crowley looked very assured when he came on. Harry Byrne went well too this evening from the bit I saw.

I'd agree with Phog, Edogbo and Aherne look like a great partnership, look forward to seeing them a lot more this season. I know a lot of people big-up Aherne but Edogbo really excites me, he's got such raw power and looks like he's sorted out the handling. If Kleyn and Archer can do it, anyone can! Kletn and Snyman to come back. Having Coombes able to drop in for the last 30 gives us an option too sub-wise. Gleeson looks to the manner borne.

Something like 6 of the team were under 21, and a good chunk under 25.

Dragons were gash though, has to be said. We've sterner tests ahead (last week's game wasn't one for the history books, typical early season fare away from home) so the run from now to New Years will see where we're truly at... but for now the Champions look to be building nicely.

• Advertisement

Nankivel looks like a superb piece of business too. Very smart player, all round game.

DOC was joking on the sideline that Munster might go 7-1. There are a few pretty solid looking 6-2s emerging though, for e.g.:

Daly, O'Brien, Frisch, Nankivel, Nash, Crowley, Casey, Coombes, POM, Beirne, Kleyn, Snyman, Ryan, Barron, Loughman.

Kilcoyne, Scannell, Archer, Edogbo/Ahern, Kendellen, Gleeson, Murray, Scannell.

Mad that there's no place for Quinn, Hodnett, JOD and one of Edogbo/Ahern.

The hands from Ahern & Edogbo in the lead up to that try 🔥❤️

Crap news for Joey, I really hoped his time away from rugby last year might have helped him with his injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Teams looking strong and lots of potential. My only concern is props at European level. A couple of big signings and we could be contenders next season.

I'm hoping Archer's end of season form where he was immense in the scrums down in SA and the return of John Ryan who was usually a better scrummager might help us against opposition scrum. Tighthead is a concern going forward as those two great servants will surely be gone by the end of this season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Tom Ahern has been very impressive, he looks like he could have a breakthrough season. It’s very evident he is a huge talent, showed some class ball skills yesterday evening and has bulked up a good bit too. I think the challenge will be for the coaching staff, is to get him regular gametime when the 3 international second rows we have come back. He turns 24 this season, has had a lot of injuries, he needs just to keep playing games now if possible.

Could he still do a job at fullback...? :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement