Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

JC. the usual aimless kicking down the middle. He blows my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

That was a good display from Ulster, showed that you have some depth that can be trusted, thought Hume was very good, as well as Sheridan and McCann. Lots of encouraging signs through the outside backs. Also expected Connacht to dominate the front row battle but didn't play that way. Good luck from here on in, except when we see you in Ravenhill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

All Connacht fans should have a good cardiologist on speed dial. Some atrocious stuff there, but we got away with it. Liked DTM, Forde and Farrell, disappointed at the scrum. TOH has been good generally but that was a brutal excuse for a tackle on Shanahan. Jack mixed the good and bad, sweet cross field kick to Kilgallen, rotten penalty miss, but it showed why we need JJ to keep him on his toes. Or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Ulster's ferociousness at the ruck is something I'd love to see Connacht learn from. They gave absolute socks.

That Sheridan lad was fantastic but Hume going off seemed to feed Connacht more time and gaps to exploit.

Sorry Zeugnis. That was a slam dunk for Connacht that was made look like hard work. So all bullshit aside it just confirms that JC was never up to the job. His rubbish really was so obvious for all to see tonight. So JJ or Forde. Let's cut the bullshit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

As many have said; would have taken that at 45mins so need to be happy with the win.

A worry that we didn't match their intensity for 80% of the game, think a few lads might have looked at the ulster team and took the win for granted. Thought shanahan was very good for them, as was Sheridan, listened to an ulster podcast during the week and they name dropped him, will keep an eye out for him as he looked class. Ulster could do worse than to give a few of those lads a few more minutes.

Not too many positives for us, aside from the stones to make the comeback. Our maul was good, which is something ulster pride themselves on. Can just copy and paste some praise for Forde in here; we'll be seeing this lad in another green jersey before long, he's got the lot.

A few bonus points given away that we wish we hadn't and a few missed we'll wish we had but overall 3 from 3 is good going, any away win in the next 3 will be a huge result so fingers crossed we keep the foot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Great to get the win, woeful first half. Jeez jack would reck your head. Great sideline conversion, lovely pass for Farrell's try, great kick for kilgalon but yet he kicked down the middle all night and missed a gimme. McCann and Sheridan were excellent. I'd be very optimistic if I was an Ulster fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Connacht top of the table, only team with 3 wins.

The team look like a seriously athletic and conditioned side.

A better outhalf and maybe one more powerful ball carrier in the pack and Connacht would be hard to stop.

Forde looks class, and Kilgallen has something about him.

Overall a good solid team across the board. Great run of results, hope the squad can keep this momentum going right through the season.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The Ulster try in first half came from him kicking out on the full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭testtech05

Sorry yes I forgot to mention that that was a big mistake aswell.

The general defence for Ulster's scores was not up to much though.

On a separate note I thought Reilly did very well when he came on too. He really added a bit of zip and was getting the ball out of rucks quickly. Hopefully blade isn't badly injured but looks to be a bit of depth there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Reilly’s passes seemed perfectly weighted, he’s very good at floating it precisely into the receivers hands so there isn’t any adjustment needed. Hope he gets more games to see how he could manage a game from the start.

Blade had a good performance too I thought, looked threatening and busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Joyce underrated here

Has held on the whole pack as the only one dominating in contact

Wise signing, profile we needed

Blade was injured twice so I think he was carrying a fairly bad knock until he had to properly go off. Reilly had a really good cameo though. Blade was trying a bit too hard to win penalties off Ulster slowing the ball down and for whatever reason the ref missed a lot of fairly obvious cynical play. Reilly was smart to it and didn't delay.

Depends on how you see the problem testtech05. I have seen a problem for years on end but it is my opinion

do remember Tom Farrell who came out of dressing rooms and we said go Tom. and Tom responded by saying thanks a million for coming to the game. and then Jack passed by and just walked past us. and then Andy Friend walked by and we had a great chat with him. always remberered that.

anyway, who cares. You have broken my heart for years Jack

Are we rating lads for their post-match high fives now? Sorry to hear you had a bad interaction with him but I'd be more concerned with his tactical and goal-kicking myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Whilst you'd hope we'd win all of the games we have so far, the three teams we've beaten are all top half and have all won their other two games so we've not just beaten whipping boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I'd expect some changes for the trip to Edinburgh, rest and injury.

Guys like Forde, Farrell, DTM, Buckley, Joyce, Aungier etc who have played 3 on the bounce and will be required for SA might be in line for a break. Any thoughts on a team?

By the way I thought DRMC was excellent from the bench yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Might go up to Belfast for the connacht game on 22nd vs ulster. Which is the stand to book?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

Unless you need to sit, book a terrace ticket. Easier mix with the natives and allows you meet up with other away fans to increase your volume when cheering on your team.

Really apologise for my comments yesterday. I guess it's based on years of frustration with a team that had so much more to offer.

The Connacht heads always go to the terrace behind the dugouts. Think it's the East Terrace. The Ulster fans are very sound and good craic but be prepared to listen to 80 minutes of booing at decibels that'll permanently damage your hearing.

I enjoy your posts and Carty's put in some absolute rotten performances since 2019 but your most recent post yesterday doesn't really add anything bar appearing bitter. There's enough to correctly criticise players for on-field without getting into off-field behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Extremely poor showing in the first half but fair play to turn it around. Hopefully Blade isn't too bad but it didn't look great. He is such an important player for us. Reilly was excellent. He does take a pause before passing and it slows the backline a little but with increased playing time he should become quicker. SHL was a big loss in both carrying and poaching. Looking forward to see what Jansen can bring. DTM brings a bit of something in attitude that we haven't really had. Forde is just top quality for a player so young. Great left boot too. I'd love to see himself and Bundee in the pitch together. Do the 3 wc lads come back in for the away games now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Fair play for acknowledging it. As someone who sat through years of Munster fans booing Ian Keatley it's really not something you want to see come into a crowd.

His kicking in the second half was much better. It looks like he got the instruction to go for more short contestables rather than trying to pin Ulster back, and it worked.

I do wonder if Forde's Goal kicking is better. Like if there's someone with a better stat than Jack, then maybe let them take that job and let him focus on running a back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Are the Irish players available for selection this week? See they’re back in training. Would probably introduce them back on the trip to SA myself.

This weekend I’d probably look at something like assuming Blade and Dowling are out:

Dooley DTM Aungier Murray Joyce SHL Oliver Prendergast

Reilly JJ Kilgallen Forde Farrell Porch TOH

Heff Buckley Illo D Murray Boyle / Butler Devine Carty Ralston

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

On Twitter Furlo said that Blade JJ and SHL are all available for selection this week.

In terms of the Irish player I remember seeing that Bealham would be first back given he had the least game time at the RWC but there was no mention about what game he would be back for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

I think Wilkins said a few weeks back that of the 3 probably only Finlay would make the SA trip. Doubt any of them will play this week after being off for the past 3 weeks

Advertisement