Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains Doorbell Not Loud Enough

Options
  • 03-11-2023 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭

As per the title, got a mains supplied door bell. Works fines - apart from the chime not being loud enough for parent to hear when TV is on. What is the best way to extend this or make it a lot louder?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

A second chime can be a simple and reliable solution.

often you will need to upgrade the bell transformer to 16va or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is there such thing as a wireless extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Not that I have come across, although I’m sure something could be adapted to suit

Is there an opportunity to mount a second bell in the adjoining room immediately behind the current one?

Hikvision do a video doorbell (EzViz) that is powered by existing bell wires, operates existing chime(s), but also connects to WiFi and sends notifications to mobile phone. You can video call with the visitor. It’s actually decent - might be another angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

That's exactly what I have done a few weeks ago and all good. Might have worked with the original trafo but I upgraded it to 16VA anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya a decent trafo Schneider 16va or similar ,i wouldn't be bothering with cheap 8va trafos in my own place anyhow

I tended to use 2*0.75 flex for bell wiring , better cable and less prone to getting damaged at the door

Okay, back to this. I've now found the following item:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-DCP917S-Wireless-Wiring-Converter/dp/B0193FWHAI?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Plan to extend using this and a new Honeywell wireless chime.

A single location chime won't work (I don't think) due to setup of house combined with hearing issues. Multiple chimes is probably the best way to go.

Seems to be difficult to get a Byron BY32.

This is now installed and works well. There is the odd occasion where the furthest away chime fails to ring though through a few walls, but overall very happy. Plus, it is 90dB so a lot louder than the previous chime.

Visual alerts are good too.

Only issue I have is that the loaded tunes are not very good and is prefer them to either last longer or repeat.

Advertisement