Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This is easily worse than the first time I had it in March last year, albeit the sore throat was off the scales then.

I've retreated to the couch with a blanket for the day. Feck it. It's the brain fog that's the weird thing. My memory is dreadful and I can't concentrate for more than a few minutes.

Mrs H has taken the kids to Emerald Park so I have the house to myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Hope you're both feeling better soon @Heroditas and @DvB

I know you mentioned memory H, my husband had covid at the beginning of September and is still suffering with this. Nothing major but often forgets what he's about to say or do. He finds it very frustrating but hopefully it's not a long term side effect 🤞

Bought some Christmas Leigh Tucker Willow onesies for the kids today 😀

Just spotted a red bow on a front door...the season is here 😄

Post edited by jellybear on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭A cup of te

Going to the big smoke tomorrow for our annual Christmas browse around. Probably should be doing it in a few weeks time but just the way it's working out. Arnotts looks fab and I believe Jervis is decorated too so should be good. Have to say I love when it gets closer and the street traders are out. Then it feels really Christmassy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just seen the Marks and Spencer add, not bad.

Brought this today from The Range €15 for the front door, think it needs something maybe berrys and remembering to turn on and off.

Sorry to go on Boots advert good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Drinks with lads from work last night, only starting to feel half right now. On the bright side we are going to the M50 Christmas shop today! 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just saw a car with a red nose and antlers!

• Advertisement

I just saw a car with a red nose and antlers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

The geese are starting to look good. The kids are out feeding them. Christmas dinner walking about! Nom nom nom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

We put the Christmas tree up today... and it shall stay up for 61 days now 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Looks like I may be hosting this year as my brother has moved his plans to Stephens Day. Did a practice run on the roast veg today - had carrots and parnsips to use up, cooked with balsamic vinegar, herbs and olive oil (the Jamie Oliver method, I'll willingly admit)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

youll be fine. It’s essentially a big roast. Get your meat sorted and your timing right and you’ll be laughing.

Prep as much as you can in advance.

• Advertisement

Not my first time hosting by any means. Actually looks more likely I'll be cooking and the physical hosting will be in my parents - they aren't up to the task of cooking at all these days.

No Argos!

Bah!! I was born in the 70s so had the excitement of getting an Argos catalogue every year and wistfully flicking through it wishing an Argos actually existed in Ireland! 😤

I was born in 1992 and I never paid much attention to the Argos toys tbh. It was generally Smyths or World of Wonder/Toy Master.

Don't get me wrong, I used to love the Argos catalogue. It was such a thrill to flick through it and see everything in one place.

Toy shops for me when I was a kid were Let's Pretend in the Dun Laoghaire shopping centre which closed and then a Toymaster opened up opposite it I. The mid 80s. Also Nimble Fingers in Stillorgan but that was pretty much it when I was growing up. No Smyths back then either 😱

Dunnes in Cornelscourt used to stock some decent stuff, as did Quinnsworth occasionally.

• Advertisement

We used have a Co-Op that opened a Toy Shop at Christmas. I'd say a lot my toys would have come from and I'd have seen thing at the odd trip to Smyths.There wasn't any really independent toy shops, Quinnsworth/Tesco and Dunnes would have been about 40 minutes away and I don't think they had toys.

Funnily enough a lot of places opened when I was about 12/13.

In other news those hours are really dropping!

You have mostly lived in an era when Argos were part of day to day life. Us 80s babies could only dream of it until it came

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus remember the big toy sections in the local Quinnsworth/Tesco back in the day

Many a toy thrown in the trolly only to be tossed back out. The tears 😢😆😂

Not lucky enough to have kids yet but seen it from the adult side many a times with the little ones in the family 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

50 days to go today 😯 I know it's a total cliché to say on here but the last 50 days felt like they passed us by in the last 10 days.

I really can't understand or quantify how the hell October slipped by so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭tscul32

The house opposite mine has a christmas tree up and icicle lights. Another round the corner has the outside lights up, don't know about a tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

50 days wow

First weekend we have lit the stove, looking forward to having the house all a glow in a couple of weeks, I would have loving a mince pie or abit of Christmas pudding for dessert today I’ll try hold off for another couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Andrew93

Completely agree. My birthday marks 99 days to go, and that certainly doesn't feel like 49 days ago.

We are off to Disneyland this coming weekend and then we are right into the season 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

I've had a week off work and spent the time with my daughters exploring the touristy things. My eldest had a pall over from Ireland so we had a ball.

We had too many callers at Halloween and for the first time my youngest didn't want use to walk to houses with her, she is 4.5. She went around with her sister. One house had hired a bloody ice-cream van.

I have ordered marine plywood to make the outdoor reindeer, the pics are from the hardware store. I have also made two Christmas puddings.

I am panicking over presents, my eldest (15) is the toughest. I have bought her a bracelet she said was cool about four months ago, I pointed out a similar one last week and she says she doesn't like it anymore. Stress.

I put on A Christmas Carol produced by Orsen Wells on the way to work, it was too Christmasy so I will wait to listen to it another day at home.

Love the Christmas advert thread.

• Advertisement

Christmas puddings

Fruit and Nuts.

Dry Ingredients

Wet ingredients

Puddings mixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Looks delish @freshpopcorn! I'm not making a pudding this year - I've one left over from last year. I do need to do my mincemeat next weekend. We've had so much on the last few weekends, between being away for a few days & an awards night this weekend for our GAA club. I did manage to make the Christmas Cake last week - need to take it out tonight and give it a feed. I've gone gluten free recently to see if it will help some digestive issues & have made the cake with gluten-free flour. It looks the same as normal, just hoping it won't be as dry as Gandhi's flip flop 🤞

We're into the 40's.

In seven weeks the house should smell like turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

Back at work today after being off all last week with wee monkeys! Was really lovely having time with them. The oldest child asked me if we're putting up Christmas tree and decorations the day I took down Halloween decorations! :D He wasn't impressed one bit but I marked out the past dates on our calendar and told him to count the days until Toy Show so he will mark each day every morning ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We're not very far from Enniskillen so take a trip up there occasionally. I picked up the Christmas Argos catalogue while I was there a couple of weeks ago and posted in the family whatsapp if anyone needed anything in Argos for Christmas pressies etc to let me know and also a pic of the brochure in case anyone wanted it....Crickets...no interest. They are all in Dublin so far enough from any Argos in NI. Tunes may change when Santa letters are written I suppose 😂

Saw my first Christmas tree up in the neighbourhood on my walk this evening. And a garden lit up with Christmas lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Two houses in my estate have a Christmas wreath on their door already. I didn't see inside either house to see if they have their tree/decorations up. One of the houses only took down the last of their Christmas decorations outside to hang up some Hallowe'en decorations a month ago, now the Christmas ones are back out!

• Advertisement

My plans to make wooden reindeer have hit a speedbump as I busted my finger demolishing the dog house. My OH is talking of putting up the tree this weekend as we have full weekends on the way up to Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Hope your hand is ok Jude!

Today is the last of my big big stressful work milestones before the end of the year. I feel like once today is done I'll be able to breathe again. It meant a lot of super tight deadlines, late nights, entirely changing fully worked items etc. We quieten down around Christmas and it makes me so happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm enjoying these crisp morning walks before I WFH, it feels great.

I did my walk this morning at 6am before work, felt great to be out in the cold and a clear sky. Lots of stars still out too.

I tried ChristmasFM but the playlist wasn't kind so I switched back to podcasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

They'll be live very soon actually won't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

Good idea going for a walk that early! Soounds really lovely too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Lucky you. (I mean that in a nice way, not a asmart ar$e way btw 😀)

My year has been so stressful so far & has only gotten worse with this dose I'm struggling with. Have a huge amount to get through between now & Christmas too so can genuinely see my build up for this year being wiped out in a big ball of work, stress & sickness!! Normally I'm buzzing this time of year with peak build up on the horizon, but this year it just feels like it doesn't matter as I have 'more important' 'grown up' stuff to be getting on with... we took a huge financial gamble this year too and I think the stress of that decision & the responsibilities around it are starting to dig in too... oh to go back to being a kid counting down the days until school finished & it was Christmas time!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

^^@DvB & @Aisling(",) I hear you both, it sucks being a grown up. We are 2.5ish years into a start up and looking at some quiet times (beyond our control) however we have some heavy salary burdens. Plus personal mortgages etc. Oh to have a stress free Christmas, now that would be a present and a half.

It's the only time that really suits me lately. Work is super busy for me at the moment so I'm not getting out the door on time, by the time I get home, play with my son and put him to bed, it's time to make dinner, sit down and eat dinner and it's then a fight to stay awake on the couch. At best we get a hour of tv in before bed.

At least by going in the morning. It's done for the day and I'm not under pressure to get a walk in the evening when I'm strapped for time.

I hear you on this. With impending baby number 2 I am completely swamped trying to get cover trained in while doing my already increasing workload. I'm staying back every night to battle through it. It'll be like this right up Dec 21st, then I'll be off until after the baby arrives.

Completely overwhelmed trying to balance, work life and help out a heavily pregnant OH that the Christmas buildup is zipping by without getting a chance to soak it all in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement