Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room but not allowed to use the kitchen

Options
  • 03-11-2023 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mobydopy

So I'm moving into a single bedroom in Cork in a house which is occupied by a couple. They're renting out another room as well and I'll be sharing the main upstairs bathroom with the other tenant. However the owner informed me that I won't have access to the kitchen because it's used professionally for his restaurant business. He's providing a mini-fridge and microwave in my room though which is great. I'm planning on bringing meals from my parents home in Dublin to keep me going for 1 or 2 weeks and travel back to my parents whenever I'm low on food since I can't cook in their kitchen. One issue that has sprung to mind though is how am I going to wash my dishes? Bathroom sink is the only sink I have but I'm not sure how sanitary that is.

Was explaining my situation to a friend today who told me that he doesn't think it's legal for the landlord to prohibit a tenant use of a kitchen. Doing some research now, the RTB mentions under it's Minimum Standards Regulations how cooking/kitchen facilities (fridge, microwave, sink etc) must be provided but that's for rental properties whereas I'm in a house-share situation where I'm only renting a room in an owner occupied property.

Just want to know if all this is legal or am I missing something? I'm honestly not too bothered about it since the monthly rent is decent and atleast I still have a mini-fridge & microwave so I'll get by alright, but it would be nice to know if this is all legal or if anybody's experienced a similar predicament before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're a licensee not a tenant so have far fewer rights.

But I'd reckon the owner should be providing you with very cheap meals from his restaurant. And washing your dishes in his dishwasher.

What are your laundry facilities like?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ignore what the RTB says as your are a licencee and not a tenant so the RTB doesn’t apply to you.

You are more like a guest in a B and B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Yeah that was my gut feeling about having fewer rights since I'm technically not a tenant, just wanted a second opinion in case I was missing something

The owner actually did offer to provide me meals for a negotiable price to be fair to him but just because of some of my own personal dietary restrictions I'd be more comfortable bringing my own meals from home.

Owner hasn't mentioned anything about laundry facilities, might ask about that tomorrow. But I guess that's also something I could do back home if I'm restricted from using those facilities as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭con747

Buy a cheap air fryer as well, micro meals are grand but unless you get an expensive one with other functions the air fryer will give you great options to cook for 1 person very cheaply and reheat with better results. I have no idea about the kitchen issue but as long as you clean the sink with a good suitable spray before washing dishes in it I would hope it would be alright.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Get a mini oven and just leave it on 24/7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kalimah

God that sounds miserable. Seems a bit odd that the home owner can use his own kitchen commercially in a private house.

I’m sure you’re paying a decent whack of your income for the privilege of trying to feed yourself in your room.

If it was one of my kids I’d be livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭babyducklings1

Why don’t you ring rtb and ask them directly what your situation is.Washing your dishes in a bathroom is completely unsanitary to be honest. If you have to take this accommodation get the owner to wash your dishes in his dishwasher.

Separately using an air fryer in your room would generate a lot of cooking fumes and unless you have a good extractor fan or can do it by an open window it’s not a good idea imo.

Good luck with all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭con747

I know an air fryer would not be the best option, nor a microwave, neither would washing your dishes in a bathroom sink. If the OP can only find/afford this room where they need to be and if that is the only option they have they have to either find out their rights which others have stated are next to none or make the best of what they have. Or find a room elsewhere which these days could be impossible.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

The housing situation in Cork is an absolute sh*tshow at the moment. I’ve been looking for a room since September and this room believe it or not is the best I could find in terms of location and what I can afford right now. I know it sounds miserable but I’m at a stage now where I can’t be choosy and have to compromise I’m afraid.

Its not like I’m tied down to any long term rental agreement with the owner so I’ll give it a go atleast till Christmas and if I don’t like it, I may start looking around again for another room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Rtb has NO jurisdiction here, the op will not be a tenant.

• Advertisement

• We brush our teeth in the bathroom. With due care using antibacterial sprays before, cleaning dishes can be done safely but it’s far far from ideal. I remember having to do it when getting kitchen restored after a fire, and it was doable but awkward and a pain as, of course, there was no draining board.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Op, get disposable plates and cutlery, it will be the safest and most hygenic solution for you, you can get them cheap on Amazon or MR Price etc. An air fryer would be ideal too for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Not a good idea …. Think of the environment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Op I guess here you have to way up the pro’s and cons ….. What’s the monthly rent like with all bills v finding somewhere else and adding on the extra costs? Also if you are a student/work have you access to a subsidised canteen? As another poster said renting atm is a s**tshow purely as there is not much of an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Maybe get a plastic tub that you can fill with water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Would you ever get a grip. They have nowhere to properly wash their dishes or dry them off. One poor student in Cork is not going to save the planet by not using disposable dishes.

OP, I wish you luck. If you can get a cheap decent meal outside every day in college and then make sandwiches for a smaller meal and some fruit, yogurt and cereal for breakfast you should be fine. Not ideal. Also enjoy being at home and the nice food from your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

He's running a commercial kitchen

How about coming to arrangement for cooked meals

Rent is around €500 plus bills between €50-100 a month. It's about 15 mins drive from my workplace and in a new build housing estate

I found another ensuite bedroom in the city before which was also about 15 mins from my work but the guy was subletting his student accommodation apartment which seemed really shady, he was asking for rent close to €900 inc bills and it was only available for 3 months. I also viewed another ensuite bedroom for €650 but the location was really horrible. Would have taken me atleast 45 mins-1hr to get to and back from work everyday

I think my workplace does have a subsidised canteen so that should come in handy. Breakfast I'll probably just have cereal and fruit. Lunch in the canteen. And dinner just heat up some meals from home in the microwave. Just need to sort out an arrangement with the owner for how I'm gonna wash my dishes when I get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dependingvon ghe canteen, you may get to become one of the people who have dinner in the middle of the day!

Then sandwiches or easy stuff in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This sounds fairly grim tbh op but I understand that you cannot afford to be choosy. I don't think washing your dishes in the bathroom is a great option and I would suggest that you ask the owner if you can come to an arrangement where you can leave your dirty dishes out to be washed and a clean set left for for you to take. If it's a commercial kitchen, the washer will be going the whole time anyway so it's not a huge thing to facilitate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Do you know what the couple and the other renter do with their dishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Not ideal but if you need to wash a dish in your room plenty of options in camping sinks and plenty are foldable. A little kettle and foldable sink and you at least can manage. To be honest cooking , eating washing and sleeping in the room wouldn’t be ideal for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Here's another thought. Most people have a kitchen bin.

If you've no access to the kitchen, where are you supposed to dispose of any rubbish or food waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Dear god that sounds a bit crap to be honest. My tenant has full use of everything, my only rule is when the sitting room door is closed I am looking for some time out. When it's open make a cuppa come in and make yourself at home.

Like other people have said the main points are, can they make you dinners since it's a professional kitchen, where do you put your food rubbish, where do you do your dishes.

Like to be cooking food in your bedroom the smell upstairs would be awful when trying to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

do you mind me asking where in cork your talking about? and where in cork is your work location?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Omg, the poor tenant paid 1400 for the room and had to eat out.

Living the life

Don't want to give away my exact location on here. The room is pretty close to Ballincollig and my work place isn't far from City University Hospital

• Advertisement

Update : The owner has agreed to take care of my dishes & food rubbish for me. All I've got to do is set my dishes outside my door in the evenings and they'll return them clean by the morning.

Also I found out my workplace has a subsidised canteen that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday so I'll be having atleast 2 out of 3 meals per day at work

Advertisement