Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I use my fritz from pure when I changed to sky and never opened my sky router and didn't have to change any settings

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Does anyone know if the sky Siro router has a Modem mode? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mun1

I’m with Digiweb on NBI fibre 500. Pure telecoms offer of €35/mth doesn’t apply to NBI connections, so they offered me €45/mth for 12 mths

digiweb did their best to match and i came away with€48/mth for 12 mths, down from €60/mth last year.

happy enough to stay with Digiweb as they’re always available to talk on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭Nollog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Thinking of moving to sky from virgin now that they are using the same lines (VM was my only option previously in my apartment). Any reason why I shouldn't ? Looking at the €35 for 24 months option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭kalych

I opted for 24 months contract with Sky a few months ago. No issues so far solid service.

A bit of a mix up at installation as the customer support couldn't confirm when an engineer would come to activate the line. Turned out it was because it's an OpenEir engineer and sky customer service just told me to wait.

The engineer did turn up just before 5pm in the end on the day scheduled.

Oh and they bill you 1 month ahead. Other than that no problems at all. I'm happy to have a peace of mind of no charge increases for 24 months for an extra fiver a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

I was with Siri vf for two years was handy price was same 40 for 1 gig and could connect using my own wireless router rather than the vf crap unit...but they wanted 50 this year so I went with Pure Telecom was a painless process and I used my own Asus router even though they sent me a decent fritzbox router... I signed up two neighbours who were getting rode by virgin and pure gave me 50 a head refer a friend bonus :-)

Highly recommend pure

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

I've been with Vodafone SIRO 1000Mbps connection for last couple of years (extended once at €45 per month).

I didn't keep track of the contract expiring and noticed them taking €70 last month! Contacted the CS who got Loyalty team to call back, they can do €50 pm, or €45 if I have a Vodafone mobile (which is €20 per month as is). Not impressed.

Quick google shows Sky doing a €30 per month for 500Mbps, that should be plenty of bandwidth for my needs. Ordered Sky. It's about time for a new modem anyway.

I rang Pure re retention deals. Let's just say the conversation was short and agent wasn't surprised when I declined the "offer". Off to sky again.

Note ptsb give 5% cash back if paying sky so 28.50 a month isn't bad at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Pure never give any retention deals in my previous experience with them. They even said come back to us in 12mths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Sky look to be the cheapest at €30 a month is it?... where is best to get mobiles as well? We currently have TV/mobile/broadband with Eir but they keep jacking up their prices. Thinking of getting rid of TV altogether, don't really use it

That ptsb thing is a good point, im with aib unfortunately.

Gomo and 48 are cheaper mobile "networks", first is eir, second is three.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pipitka

I did a couple of months ago, you just need your siro account number for a painless switchover. I called Vodafone and cancelled with them anyway just to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

I'm also thinking of moving.

Are the same lines just for fibre, or for coaxial too? I think I have coaxial as my broadband is coming from a UPC box. I'm also in an apartment and not sure if fibre is active here.

How does the switch work, can Sky just send a modem in the post and you can simply plug and play without the need of an engineer?

I signed up to Sky last Wed and it said my switchover date is this Wed. It said to sign up to My Sky but there's nothing in the orders section, I've heard nothing since, no modem has arrived. Do I ring them to see whats happening or will it all magically happen?

Can't find a nunber to ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Sky are using VM lines? Or VM are using SIRO which Sky also use?

Post edited by WildCardDoW on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I called Sky and they are not using VM coaxial lines so they said an engineer would have to come and install which might include drilling etc. which is a non runner for me. Very annoying

Did you order siro or cable ? My siro switchover came through the same ont, i cant imagine why they'd need to do anything with the coaxial equipment going from vm to sky(vm), maybe just sending someone to test the equipment.

UPC used to send someone to check the equipment back when I had it and ordered any up or downgrades. Also when they were called UPC...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭christy c

I'm coming off Sky soon and renewal deals aren't great.

Anyone know if you could sign up in someone else's name for same address? Say if services due to finish on the 12th, have partner sign up to commence a new contract on the same day so there's no downtime?

• Advertisement

I got the modem delivered, switching over in couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Switched to Pure Telecom from Vodafone (openEir)

No Fritz!box disappointingly. Only got one of those Sagecom / Eir modems with a Pure sticker on it !

Yep ordered online and connected up today. All good. Showing 500+ mbps at the moment, which is really fantastic.

Three year old Vodafone modem (with a 1gb connection) was not much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Is that because it's openEir I wonder? I'm considering moving to Pure Telecom on Siro. But I wouldn't be happy if I didn't get the Fritz!box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

You're right - a buddy of mine is Siro and got the Fritzbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

What sort of renewal deal were Sky offering you?

I'm with Sky on 500MB broadband for €30/m and contract is not due to expire until early Feb 2024. I got an email from them yesterday advising of the expiry date and that from that date they're going to offer a similar discount automatically, no fixed contract. I had hoped this would be for the same €30/m but looking at my account it's for €35/m. Not the best but not too bad either especially since €30/m was more the exception early last year and no guarantee similar will be available again come Feb. Pleasantly surprised with Sky in terms of their foresight and not trying to automatically shaft existing customers so will probably stick with them at that to save on hassle and since I for once didn't have to go chasing them to somewhat keep the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭christy c

I think 40 per month or 45 they were offering.

I cancelled and then someone rang me back yesterday offering 30 p/m so snapped that up

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭jusvi2001

Looks like Sky is the best at the minute with €30/month for 500 MB . obviously they are going to increase price in April but still better than Vodafone and Eir.

Virgin media has a €35/month for 500 MB deal with no mention of April price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Andrew93

Having a disaster getting broadband setup atm. Had sky technician out Dec 22nd for install. Said he couldn't do it there was an issue with the lines outside the house, yet my next door neighbor has SKY.

Rang them up over the Christmas period and was told it'll be February at the earliest before the problem is fixed. NIGHTMARE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

vodafone website now says

Broadband from €30 a month for 6 months

Pay just €40 a month after 6 months, for a broadband connection you can always rely on. After all, it's only fair.

Existing customers use chat or call 1800 805 018 to avail of this offer.

Offer ends Feb 4th, 2024. 

earlier today when I message them on facebook asking what was the offers they said 45euro per month

Advertisement