Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I submitted for the amount of the previous years bill (I.e. excluding the reduction of my annual bill thanks to having Solar PV, which was roughly a grand), and was actually selected for audit where they wanted copies of all my bills for the previous 12 months… so I submitted them thinking I was roused, but they said nothing and still paid out based on the higher bill amount I submitted…

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The problem I have is that, in addition to the three government credits, we got solar in September last year so I'd have to go back further but we only moved in here in may last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

firstly, ignore the clickbait title - there’s lots of great motorway (70mph/113kmph) efficiency data here, comparing the ID4, ioniq 5, Mach E and model Y LR - all driven on the same day at the same time on the same motorway journey at the same speed, throughout 2023 on a frigid day, mild day and warm day.

they even spaceed out the cars on the road so they aren’t affecting each other with drag or sudden braking/acceleration.

bottom line, the best motorway winter range they achieved on a full battery was:

ID4: 273km

ioniq5: 294km

mY lr: 299km

mach e: 302km

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very flawed test. Based on the GOM 🤣

They should have run the cars down until they drove no more. It is well known that Teslas in general have a significant range left when 0 range is indicated. It seems the testers are very inexperienced with EVs 😂

Personally I regularly do trips in the Tesla where the very accurate GOM indicates will arrive home at 0% or even minus 1% or minus 2%. I wouldn't dream doing this in any other EV I own or have owned, unless I was certain it could do it (most can't)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

“there’s lots of great motorway (70mph/113kmph) efficiency data here”

If they really used the GOM’s for this test then it’s no better then a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

There's another test here which might be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvwOa7TCd1E&t=10s

They did a 275km motorway journey where even with GOM the best performing car was only 25km more, so all the cars were well under 10% and it’s pretty accurate for those of us doing huge amounts of motorway miles at that speed roughly.

anyhoo, it is what it is, a good real world comparison of 4 cars run in identical conditions. It’s like 4 of us driving Dublin-Cork on the motorway and comparing efficiency when we got there.

Funny you mention that. The EV owners facebook group did a Dublin-Cork-Dublin race a few years back. Guess what car won it? The Hyundai Ioniq with just a tiny 28kWh battery. Goes to show battery size / range isn't all that relevant these days even for very long trips.

And the winner was our own @ELM327

I'd say you'd do a cross continent 3000km trip in a bog standard Tesla Model 3 €40k quicker than you'd do it in a €200k top spec Porsche Taycan

It would be helpful though if car manufacturers had to state range until empty at 21C at 120km/h GPS speed for comparison. WLTP is useless for when range really matters. In the WLTP cycle they reach 120km/h once, just for a few moments. A very bad indicator of motorway range.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That race was fun, multiple SPOF chargers and I was the only EV going at (or slightly above!) the speed limits. Love the Ioniq28.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Battery for fully charges 62v leaf seems to drop percentage quote sharply at first but then is much more efficient after the first 10 or so percent.

I'm still getting around 300km from it including around 100k motorway driving but wondered what the initial drop is about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Might be because it can't regen as much with a full battery

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Having never owned a Hyundai, would a 38kw Ioniq have much better range than a similar 40kw Leaf?

Yes. Due to the Ioniq being so efficient and better aero properties. Also due to the leaf being so prehistoric.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

40 kWh leaf, 2018 onwards is prehistoric? You're giving the anti EV crowd plenty of ammunition with statements like that😁

I had 3 in work, I also had the L24 version before it. I drove that car Scotland to Dublin through Belfast without issue so I'm well versed in them :)

The L40 is an old design built on top of the L24 infrastructure.

They are great cars, but many better ones from that era now with more efficient properties, not to mention CCS instead of the Leaf's Chademo connector.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Chademo was dead in 2020, nevermind in 2024.

I see they are now offering €5000 off and 0% finance on new leafs trying to get them sold.

Know someone who bought a used EV recently and the dealer who sold it said sales of EVs have fallen off a cliff of late.

Apparently finding it very hard to shift any he has in stock.

It's been a buyer's market for a while now.

Tesla really putting the pressure on second hand values too (did I see a M3 for 40k new recently?)

List price of a new niro k3 is 42 and change, or 53 for the ev6..

prices are very much ‘softening’ in the 2nd hand market as 2-3yo expensive EVs seek people with €30-40k to buy them 2nd hand.

in more broader terms - the mass market EV driver isn’t following the enthusiastic/knowledgable early EV adopters as keenly as expected

I spoke to the buyer, who was a 1st time ev owner, and they said they were worried about buying an 'old or used' battery.

There is still a lack of knowledge about evs , their technology, the batteries etc out there among car owners, and many countless people would still be scared sh1tless to buy an ev, especially a used one.

• Advertisement

Only recently I told a friend that I normally don't take the EV out in heavy rain as there is a bigger chance of being electrocuted by the 400V system. He believed me straight away. There is enormous ignorance out there 😂

Yea, a guy electrocuted in Germany last year in a drive through car wash. New legislation coming in there to restrict EVs to hand wash only.

Hand wash using that new waterless method. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

It doesn't make much sense to buy a 1- 2 year old EV atm, because the prices are too high secondhand, I'm not worried about the battery. People bought at high prices and now the new car prices have decreased a lot, especially Teslas.

Another thing in the past few years is EV tech advancement is happening at lighting pace. It's much like how smartphones advanced a few years ago with every iteration but have now rather plateaud. Every year we're see EVs take rather big leaps, more tech, better efficiency, more refinement, more power, better software, more range, more choice, more competition entering the market.

The way I look at it is that buying a 2-3 old EV is like buying an old smartphone used smartphone, I wouldn't be happy with it. If I didn't have the ability to buy a new EV right now and my ICE car was running just fine I think I'd rather wait until I could afford to buy new so I could have the latest and greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Lifeshine for 350 of your hard earned quids, never have to wash the car again 🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yep we're adding another to the work fleet and the salespeople are hounding the guy to buy from them, following up relentlessly.

Just need a bit of a price drop and they'll sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

True but as soon as you buy the new one it will be used and bettered by something else. I agree though for the most part nearly new EVs are too expensive. Ive been tracking a couple for a few weeks now. Still for sale but no budge on price. We'll see what the next few weeks will bring

• Advertisement

The tech isn't changing much at all. The only thing different in the last few years is that more and more budget EVs are getting LiFePO4 batteries. This isn't anything new either but to be welcomed as the cells can do many more cycles and they are very safe, can not go on fire.

Advertisement