Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Not that much different from what he was saying at the joint select committee back in May 2021.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Johnson's a famously lazy and venal individual with a long history of misogynistic and racist comments. It stands to reason that he wouldn't care about vulnerable people during a pandemic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The only time Covid became more important then the economy is when he was sweating rivers in hospital.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It gets worse.

He goes on about constitutional crises and the country while enabling and propping up an administration that spread fake news, parties while hundreds of thousands died and spaffed hundreds of millions of pounds on their cronies.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A very possible narcissist / sociopath I would suggest. His relationships with women seem disastrous for example.

• Advertisement

He cheated on Marina Wheeler QC while she was undergoing chemo for cervical cancer. That's his character right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That really is all one needs to know about the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

I see Suella Braverman has whipped up snother storm of controversy about homelessness/tents and "lifestyle choices"

What an odious individual.

Oh god, saw that in the FT yesterday. Vindictive even by her standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I saw a film about this once, think it was called 'V for Vendetta'

Actually, there's probably loads of films about this.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of a circa-2009 Newsbiscuit (or possibly TheOnion - cannot relocate) article titled "leader of the opposition arrested for plotting to overthrow the government", complete with picture of David Cameron behind bars..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus you read this and think the slip to some kind of Hungary adjacent democratic backslide isn't that far. Nationalism is a pox and as I've got older become immediately hesitant of anyone who shield's their ideology with this phantom idea of "the country" as a means to smash dissent or remove opposition. When there's nothing left to offer, all you can start to do is remove the right to ask.

Not just a lifestyle choice, but also lumped in as criminals and a class of "antisocial behaviour". They really are a shower of absolute c*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The sooner these creeps are out of government the better. Starmer and his Tory Lite Labour are mostly wankers to be sure, but this current lot in power are just a bloody danger to the entire country. What an utter shambles the last decade has been for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Absolutely. I've everything crossed for a hung parliament, but Labour will walk it, even without the Muslim vote (well Labour strategists have supposedly crunched the numbers and are confident, hence Starmer's spineless 'position' on Gaza (up to now at least)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

She also seems to be playing at culture war stuff over the pro-Palestinian demonstrations, describing them as "hate marches".

Edit - Didn't realise she has such close links to Israel:

There's no "seems" about it. It's a deeply cynical thing to be doing but that's not stopping her. The police here are a shambles and that's not even counting the grotesque number of scandals in the Met. The judicial system here has been pared to the bone and it's delivering the results one would expect. Public defenders are dropping like flies, people languish in jail waiting for their trial and the probation service is the way you'd expect it to be after Chris Grayling had a go at privatising it for Tory donors.

Muslims are 6.5% of the population. Half of that lives in nailed on Labour seats in London and most of the rest in strongly labour urban areas. Add to that the ones who don't vote or care about Palestine and the numbers are not good for Labour giving a shte about their vote.

For non vote counting reasons though every doy brings another reason why Labour need to tell Israel to stop.

Every day also brings more reasons why the "Labour are the same as Tories" crowd can go and fuk off.

What the country doesn't need is a situation where Labour + SNP is only combination that delivers the numbers. Otherwise agree.

The appetite to get rid of the current Conservatives is undeniable but I am not convinced Labour will get two full terms in office.

I disagree. Historically, the Conservatives usually lurch further to the right before returning to the centre. The current iteration of the party is no different. Sunak will be pushed out for Braverman. This seems inevitable and there's no way she can win a GE.

• Advertisement

Labour just lost control of their second local authority after Oxford. I think Oxford is still in effect a Labour council as those who resigned stated they will vote with Labour anyway.

Burnley Labour party just had a mass resignation and independents are now the largest group.

Poor old 30p Lee Anderson, one of the particularly nasty right wingers tweeting this, no doubt to avoid going to court for slander/defamation or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I was thinking the same thing about Braverman, so I was a bit surprised to see her so far behind Badenoch and Morduant in Conservative Home’s latest Ministerial league table

She maybe saying all the right things to appeal to the party members, but the small boats are still coming and net migration is at record levels under her watch. Perhaps rhetoric is not going to be enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Badenoch is in a role where she doesn't actually have to accomplish or achieve anything. Same for Mordaunt to be honest. So it's easy to be popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Great seeing a young black woman being so popular in the Tory Party.

I was gonna say I think a fair bit of the support for Badenoch is just a "look how not racist we are" move but before I got around to it someone came along with an actual "look how not racist we are" post 🤣

I think it's a result of her just doing nothing to be honest, specifically doing nothing in the background instead of the PM's doing nothing in the centre. She just seems to say the odd culture war thing without having to enact policy so it makes sense that she's not the least popular Tory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Not specific about UK politics (despite the quoting of Brexiter Steven Barclay), but to me this shows a pervasive 'don't give a f1ck about anyone else' that's gripped UK society for some time now. Failure by GP's to look a little further, failure of the "Royal College of GPs" to openly and honestly say they're going to change anything, and a lazy over-reliance on technology to solve problems.

"‘Jessica’s cancer was missed 20 times by GPs – she never stood a chance’

GPs kept telling the 27-year-old that she had long Covid – she died three weeks after being diagnosed with cancer by a private doctor"

From the Torygraph so paywalled.

(https://archive.ph/R1btJ)

Amazing patience by the poor girls parents, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Badenoch's senior ministerial career is quite a new thing; just over a year old, I think and, as others have pointed out, it's in a not very prominent role. In a party that has been in power for thirteen years now there are many, many more senior and more experienced ministers than Badenoch. So I think it's an achievement in itself for her to have attracted the degree of positive attention that she has.

She did this at least in part by standing in the last leadership election (the one that Truss won). Given her inexperience she had no real hope of winning, but for a no-hoper she did better than expected in the MPs' votes stage of the contest. Given her recent promotion to Cabinet and her lack of conspicuous achievements in the short time since then, it's possible — I put it no higher than that — that she attracted votes because she is seen as a competent ant talented minister; a rarity in a party in which neither competence nor talent have been a prerequisite for promotion in recent years. She may have attracted the votes of MPs who are tired of the dysfunction of the party and who saw in her a Minister who did not embody that dysfunction. So, long term, she might be someone to watch once the party sets itself on the road to recovery.

The Conservative Home net satisfaction ratings come from surveying party members about the performance of Ministers in the office they are currently in. This doesn't necessarily translate into support for the same Ministers as party leaders. As we know, the Tory leader is ultimately chosen by the party members and the culture currently seems to be that the party members will prefer the candidate who tells them the lies they want to hear, however transparent those lies may be, rather than the candidate who is competent, or has leadership skills, or — Heaven forbid! — is honest or reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Ahwell

….but the Tory MP’s get to decide who goes before the party membership. I’m not sure that Braverman would have enough support to get past Badenoch and Morduant in a leadership race, albeit there should be a much reduced number of MPs the next time and that could have a big bearing on what happens..

Advertisement