Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah agreed,massive spec alright. I fancied a BMW i4 but just too expensive,to me the seal is that beemer without the badge obviously. Will test one next week and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I've a test drive this morning in Cork.

Looking at this or the M3 as my next upgrade from my Niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Have a test drive in Dublin this morning myself and also driving a Niro at the moment, mines a PHEV though. The big thing for me is going to be the assists, my daily drive involves roads with no markings so the lane keep is actually more dangerous on for me and I've never used it on my Niro.

Also, just watched a video of the infotainment system for anyone who's interested, it's the Thai version so he gets to turn everything off once but I imagine the layout is the same.

Just back from my test drive and I really like the car, I'm going to keep it brief because most has already been said by others. I do have a deposit down but I'm going to think about it over the weekend, the trade in is a bit lower than I would like so I'll have a look at selling it elsewhere to get a few grand more.

It was raining and while I wasn't paying attention to the front wipers, which means the auto wipers must work well anyway, but I did ask about the rear wiper and the sales guy said there isn't one, is that correct?.

He also said that the indicators on the cars for sale will be on the left, it's not a huge deal for me personally though.

Just on the frunk, I opened the one on the car in the showroom and it closed easily, so maybe there is something wrong with the one others have driven.

I test drove the one with the black interior and while I don't like dark interiors, it's actually quite nice, but I still prefer the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Test drove it this morning.

Black with the black interior. Very nice comfy seats. Thought the UI was miles better than VW . Pano roof makes it bright and airy. Lovely smooth pick up on acceleration. Not a car nut so seemed fine to me.

Drove it with all the auto assists on. Nothing annoying to me as I'm used to all the new vehicles having these devices.

Swipe down screen and two presses to turn them all off.

As for the pedestrian noise it's there for a reason.

Service is every 20k/kms. ( which is miles better than my niros 15k/kms but awful compared to my id3 unlimited 2 year)

2 year service pack at start.

Seemed very well put together. If it had a Merc badge it'd be 30 grand more expensive.

Here's a photo of the indigo grey one they had.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What colour combo did you order?

Another thing missed by my post was the V2L cable which might be handy for some.

Are you sure indicators will be on the left? They are due to be on the right?

I'll be going with the Atlantis grey and Tahiti blue, I prefer dark exteriors, but I have black now and don't want it again, and light interiors myself.

It's what the salesperson said to me, he said that they would have had to wait for demo models with the indicator on the left so they just took them with it on the right to get test drives in. It's not something that matters to me because I'd be used to it after a day or two, but might be worth asking your sales person if it's something that matters to you.

Wouldn’t matter to be either after having many JDM cars.

The grey and blue interior is what I’d order too 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

Strange decision to do it this way but would be huge if they come with the stalks the "right" way! Great to see a mostly positive reaction to the car and here's to BYD sorting out the assists with their pretty well done OTA updates.

Apart from adaptive dampers and HUD, what's the difference in the two trims?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭John arse

• Advertisement

As far as I know it's just that, the power and the AWD over RWD. The tires also seem to be different going by the brochure but it doesn't say which ones are on the RWD.

This is why I'm taking the weekend to think about, with them offering less than I want, I'm considering the RWD. I want the AWD so the likelihood is I'll just add the extra cash to it, but I'll take the weekend to think about it because there's so little between them.

Performance.

AWD.

seats, sound I think.

it’s broken down in the brochure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That's great news about the stalks. I've emailed the sales guy we were dealing with to see if he confirms it too. He did mention that there are several hundred Seals already on the boat from China for Jan delivery to customers so just have to hope they are on the left already. Like others have said it's not a huge deal for me either but would be nice not to have to learn a new muscle memory

Edit: Sales guy responded and said the indicator stalks will be on the right and it's not possible to change them later on. Maybe he's misinformed, I guess we'll wait and see

Post edited by youcancallmeal on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Looks like the white model to me 🤔 I was under the impression indigo grey was an almost matte grey colour similar to the green colourway

Indigo grey is a Matt colour, not too distant from Nardo Grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Drove the Seal in Cork earlier today - Others have covered most of the main areas so not much point in going over all of those again but a few things stood out for me.

App requires a dealer QR code and reports of that being problematic which could be an issue but hopefully will be sorted by the time cars arrive.

Pedestrian noise is far in excess of the current noise in my BMW i4 - annoying but it is what it is and will probably get used to it but your neighbours will know when you are coming and going.

V2L is a gift - great feature and happy that it's included, means if my wife is ever stuck somewhere with her EV out of charge you could give a granny charge to allow her make it to a charger.

Boot doesn't appear huge but not a priority for me, it's adequate. I'm used to a larger opening area in the Gran Coupe.

Seats were very comfortable and I would say they are as good if not better than my current i4 m50 - they are streets ahead of the i4 e40 that I had.

Rear seat space, probably double the leg room of the i4 - kids approved. I'd feel uncomfortable in the back of the i4 but fine in the Seal.

Software - more feature rich although the UX/UI not as mature as the BMW, this is a personal preference though. I really couldn't find fault with the OS though, no lag, menus were logical and well structured for the most part.

Indicators on the "wrong" side is annoying but will be fine after a few days of driving I assume - on the motorway I indicated instead of wipers, need to adjust the muscle memory.

Drive was comfortable, sport mode and flooring it is never going to be anything like the neck breaking response of the i4 m50 but no use for that in the real world day to day anyway, it had plenty poke for what is needed for 99% of my driving.

The test drive was the AWD model though and I've ordered the RWD as I am prioritizing range over performance - will be keen to test drive the RWD and see how much performance is sacrificed for the range, that's a trade off.

I've added some pics below.

I'd originally ordered the black paint and blue interior but having seen the black I switched to white paint.

That black will look amazing when clean on a summer's day but a magnet for scratches and it would kill me looking at it, white paint tends to be a lot more forgiving. Blue interior (it's more grey than blue) is the winner for me, black was nice but a bit dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

That's a lovely interior colour imo, would look well with the light blue exterior also, or any of the greys.

Must get a drive myself, Cork would be handier for me..

The north Dublin showroom has the light blue (ice blue) exterior with the light blue interior inside.

Both are great colours in their own right, but mixed together might be a bit much.

Forgot to add, I will really miss one pedal driving.

It's a fantastic feature in the BMW and Tesla and it's a shame it won't be included in the BYD.

Agree with that.

I like both but don't think I'd have them together.

• Advertisement

One pedal driving “could” actually be a deal breaker for me. I couldn’t get used to it on the test and I’m debating whether to over look it.

The pedestrian noise was another thing I forgot to mention, compared to my 2020 car that has none it’s very apparent but I had the eNiro for a week and I’ve gotten used to it. On my road alone I hear the neighbours MY, another Kona and 2 Toyotas driving out every morning 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I know of people who have a white Model 3 with a white interior..😋

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭olympicweights

Good performance comparison between AWD Seal and M3P

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

Performance pretty much as per spec would indicate, though both of these are quick enough that power really isn't an issue.

I'd like to see a handling comparison as the M3 Highland seems now to be biased toward comfort and the Seal may be the sharper to drive.

The Seal AWD V the M3P cannot be compared like this as the new M3P hasn’t been released yet.

Review's of the Highland M3P indicate it actually drives better and handles better than its older version.

We cannot say the new M3 is biased towards comfort as nobody has drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XOHcC-T1pE Out of Spec Reviews drives the new M3 (not performance) and comfort biased is the message I get.

Tesla may indeed use a different setup on the M3P, but the M3LR is already as much as a Seal Excellence AWD so I doubt the M3P will be price competitive.

I await some back to back M3/Seal road tests with interest.

I’m currently waiting for the M3P release before making the choice to be honest.

M3 LR V Seal Excellence may be a valid comparison. From my drive in the excellence, it’s not a sports oriented set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Anyone test the lane keep assist/autopilot, how does it fare?

• Advertisement

Advertisement