Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

Boggles is indeed boggling. Exhausting train of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I never said that.

So who is this quote from?

“she just had to batter Jason to death”

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I asked if you think Molly was somewhat justified?

what quote? I put a sentence in quotation marks. It was just me doing that. I am not saying you said what I put in quotation marks.

what quote? I put a sentence in quotation marks.

😕

I asked if you think Molly was somewhat justified?

You are great for asking questions but ignore mine. I'd more echo the prosecution opinion.

Do you think she was entitled to defend herself?

Entitled to defend herself in court? Yes. Isn’t everybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Just been reading the Independent. She extracted serious amounts of money from him over the years they were together and even after his death . The man wasn't thinking straight and made poor decisions. I sincerely hope that she and her father do not walk free from this. People with no moral code. And as for the mother keeping her head down! Disgusting individuals!

No, entitled to defend herself the night of the execution?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Where's the evidence she needed to defend herself?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Do you believe she was entitled to defend herself that night?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ah. So you do think she was justified. Get ya now..unreal

She murdered a man who was vulnerable, assisted by her father in an obliteration. It was deliberate and thought out. This wasn’t her having to act in response to Jason. She initiated a killing on a man in no position to defend himself.

you believe it was self-defense, and your only issue is the over-kill aspect of it.

you’re slowly getting off the fence now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

legal fees for these two cretins must be astronomical which is about the only saving grace of this whole situation. The only way you can hurt people like these is in the pocket.

Anyone know if taking a civil case against them after this is an option? That would further damage them.

This was not Trailer Park America. Not Jerry Springerland. This woman enjoyed a comfortable and financially viable family background. If she were the genuine victim of domestic abuse she had the means to address that situation without choosing the nuclear option. She had an agenda. And her father was right behind her, after the fact anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Anyone know how the ABC interview herself and her father did before the first trial not prejudicial.

It's not my opinion.

The state have conceded she honestly thought she had to defend herself, that the defence was warranted but excessive.

She has plead no contest to imperfect self defence.

So my question is valid.

I honestly thought we had resigned this type of thinking to the bin of history.

Well she couldn't have been abused because she didn't leave and her husband he looked after her is something frequently heard 4 decades ago.

It was just as abhorrent then. At least now it's not accepted.

I believe everyone has the right to defend themselves.

I'd be quite an advocate for strong self defence laws, we saw in our country how flimsy they were.

Stop pretending

she wasn’t defending herself..

you believe she was, and you believe that she was justified in killing Jason

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

One person gave testimony of hearing shouting on a phone call.

All the rest gave testimony that Molly told them something - which is evidence of nothing more than the killer giving her side of the story. It doesn’t do anything to support her claims, just provides evidence that she made the claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Going back a few years post trial- leaving aside the verdict of this trial for a minute, here’s how a few of the jurors thought about the night in question - clearly they didn’t believe Mollys attempt to plead self defence -in addition they also believed that they went above and beyond self defence anyway and of course the time they took to conspire before contacting the medical assistance- there’s nothing in the so called “new evidence” that would explain the level of violent assault and lack of contact with the medical authorities who may have been able to save Jason. None whatsoever

The three jurors said they believe Molly Corbett and her father took some time after Jason died to conspire before they called 911, and they said the prosecution’s argument that investigators said Martens and Molly Corbett didn’t appear to have any injuries was telling. Figueroa said she even believes Molly Corbett struck her husband first with the paving stone while he was sleeping.

“I think at some point Dad came to help out and cover it up,” Figueroa said. “There was blood on the pillow and on the comforter. That may have been the first blow, and then it progressed from that point where he got out of bed and she might have struck him more than one time in bed.”

“And when he got up and tried to protect himself,” Aamland added. “I believe that’s when Tom had to intervene because of the size difference of Molly and Jason.”

• Advertisement

There was only person of the three doing any defending, if there was defending..and that person is dead

The fact of Molly being from a comfortable background, having strong family support and being on her own native turf might not be sufficient to facilitate her walking out, I agree . Life is not usually so straightforward. But when the other indisputable details are added to the mix, a picture emerges -an image of a couple under severe stress,experiencing intense conflict and on the verge of a breakup. Wasn't Jason planning to leave? Such a pity he didn't act more quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

They’ll be released- there’s no doubt in my mind- they’ll likely get a sentence of about 5 years 7 months but with a get out of jail card free with the remaining sentence suspended or probation .

Do “you” believe she had to defend herself and that it was her reacting to him attacking her?

So, he instigated the incident by attacking her and being a physical threat to her, resulting in her defending herself and him then losing his life.. is this what you believe?

I believe (like the jury in the trial) this to be false. Absolute lies by her and her father.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

is this what you believe?

I don't think it matters what Boggles believes.

This is the direction her defence are taking: that she feared for her life and was entitled to defend herself because of [insert various allegations of him being a bully and that he may have been involved in Mags' death].

Whether any of her claims are true or are bullsh1t is for the court to decide, not Boggles or anyone else. Effectively, she is slinging as much mud as she can and hoping some of it sticks so that she can use the defence claim to get off.

Terry Pratchet

This is the direction her defence are taking: that she feared for her life and was entitled to defend herself

That has already been conceded by the state.

But you are spot on, it doesn't matter 2 figs what anyone believes, including me.

The prosecution are asking for 6 to 9 years, essentially it is up to the Judge, he can higher or lower.

But even if she got the maximum the prosecution asked for, that's 9 years minus 3 and a bit she served, plus because it is a class D felony she might be entitled to 20% remission in the community under supervision.

People won't be happy either way.

My reference to Molly's background concerned her own biological family, not her domestic life with Jason. I think it's reasonable to deduce from information in the media that she had a secure and comfortable upbringing and a continually supportive family. A person with options should a spouse display seriously violent behaviour, as alleged.Less likely to wait until matters came to a head. Not like a protagonist in an outrageous tv reality show. And wasn't Jason the person planning to leave?

Advertisement