Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The good old days.....

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

What different things could one do?......................serious question, everyone's margin except the majority of the small to medium farmer seems more protected, beyond knowing costs/cost control and efficiency what are the alternatives?

Something barely washing its face is still better than nothing and changing systems without a clear logic/plan can mean it wont even wash its face especially if there's a lot of investment required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭kk.man

I remember my father and uncle's selling cattle in the mart and they thought they were made up. In reality its was a yearly event and no spare change. They loved their work and did things manually.

Much better times now financially but are we any the happier....

I think why they were happy with their lot was because it was an achievement to keep their business going for another year because of their experience of their youth. Whereas our generation want to buy that new tractor or shed or whatever.

Post edited by kk.man on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The difference between then and now too are bord bia, dept, council inspectors and everyone telling you, you must have this tank and this shed and this slurry tank or you won't pass for certification or bps or there'll be people camped outside your gate.

There was a bit more freedom in what way you could spend your money.

Depends too of course in development down through the years. But most then outwintered or in stone buildings in tie stalls.

Talking myself into that it was hardship again. Perhaps evening out between the ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

we didn't pay for cattle tags, herd test , sheep tags, bvd testing, nct, crv, test. acot (pre teagasc) were free

car and tractor were often a couple of months out of tax and a form stamped by the guards no questions asked, cleared any back tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I strongly suggest farmers start looking into Holistic Land Management thought by the Savory institute.

There’s many many different enterprise’s that can work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

OK, I like to think I have an open mind. Whether that's true or not is another story!

Out of interest what would some examples of these enterprises be and what kind of investment of time and money would they require?

And most importantly is there a good chance of there being a decent market for them in this country?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Tell us what management and enterprises are working for you...

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Future options like organic, regenerative, carbon sequestration, emissions reduction are for other threads. This is about old ways of doing things, the less stressful but more hardship way of life. Have we made progress?

It's more stressful, but that stress is coming from outside the farm gate not inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Somebody said earlier that farming is lonelier these days. That has been my experience since I became more active on our farm. I remember in the 80s, every one of our neighbours were farmers and I recall how they used to all come to our house to help with the silage / hay. It was a big event. Those days gradually disappeared. Nowadays, many of the fields around me are not farmed by the people who live near me. I recently had a discussion with a local farmer about the possibility of getting back into sucklers. He strongly advised against it and not just for financial reasons. His reasoning was that there are just no neighbours left farming to help each other with a cow calving etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

My uncle was visiting today and in the conversation came up of a neighbour of his. A 23 year old son working on the family dairy farm. The neighbours don't know this man. The family would have been fairly self sufficient anyway and there was none of this borrowing anything from any neighbours. But the son is seemingly on a different level. He was driving a tractor down the road and their next door farming neighbour remarked to my uncle. He didn't know who that man was. I enquired was he in any local groups or anything. I don't think he is. The people around just don't really know him. In times past too everyone went to the local church so even if you weren't a drinker, everyone knew everyone.

Definitely different times.

I have a farming neighbour and their yard joins our yard. You have to still call in now and again and see how each other is getting on. Be a bit different if the next yard was half a mile or a mile way I suppose.

You mightnt know your neighbours nowadays but be in regular contact on facebook or twitter or whatsapp with someone on the other side of the world..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

All I’ll say is it might be worth looking into for some people. Just pointing out that nearly 60 odd year’s of conventional farming seems to haven’t have worked for most!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Back in the 80s for the summer work, a day a week in the mart, a day cutting grass in the church grounds, a day or two helping lad shear, or Tb test or dose cattle, a day or two drawing squares of hay or straw, a day in the wood with the uncle falling timber, always busy. The evenings in the gaa pitch playing soccer or training or playing matches, the evenings in the pitch there could be up to 40 lads having a soccer match of all ages from 8 to 10 at night, great to get picked on teams with the older lads felt older, into the pub Saturday night to line up work for the next week and get a glass of shandy bought for you by some of the older lads, the local shop was where the mother would bring home message of who wanted work the following week. Very simple times and great fun and had money in the pocket in secondary school for chip’s every day from the money earned in the summer or the dream to own a motor bike like the older lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,323 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Several reasons. Most of that generation had been through the Emergency and mended and made do. They might put money into new sheds instead of luxuries.

Everything is available on tick now.

They weren't worried about not having the latest reg shiny SUV, more worried about neighbours talking if they didn't show up at Mass.

Less traffic on road, lower speeds. On the minus side there were some rust buckets held together with baler twine and hope.

Advertisement