Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Oz will be bankrupt and gone from international rugby without the Lions tour

Aus ran France and ireland close last year away from home when they had a decent coach. Eddie Jones has proved how valuable a decent coaching ticket is, put a coach in now and give them 2 years with the talent Aus have available to them and they will be competitive. Will they win? probably not but it will be no worse than the last tour

Nucifora is from Australia and Andy Farrell is from the North of England, yet the accusations of Leinster bias is thrown at them very regular.

Im sure once Humphries is in place he will get the same accusation or we wil be told he is overcompensating because he is from Ulster

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would anyone in Australia care about the Lions these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Certainly couldn't care less about it personally. Terribly archaic idea, that only exists a financial vehicle for the SH

Yes

They will sell out the stadiums and you will have plenty of people who will travel over and follow the tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭OldRio

Absolutely no interest in it. A relic. It exists because of the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I think there are other factors at play beyond the touchline of the pitch that have hampered Okeke's development since that Wasps game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

No one in their right mind would argue that shoving Leinster's best players to e.g. Ulster is either possible or beneficial nor would players stand for such stupidity......BUT...in the examples you use, Jordie was injured and done and no longer a Leinster starter when he moved. Jack McG. was injured and done and no longer wanted at Leinster. Timoney and EOS were never Leinster players. Whatever they have become is due to their experiences at Ulster...for good or for bad. Dittio Alan O'Connor.

If the premise is that Ireland may lose out on player development as some can't get game time because of a log jam at Leinster then a remedy must be found. Ulster have been circling the drain for years in terms of player development. I feel that quite a few Ulster guys who disappeared without trace after decent U20 careers would have kicked on if they were in the Leinster Academy. The whole structure of rugby in Ulster is somewhat at fault right from schools upwards. Not everytrhing but an overhaul is overdue....(There are however societal issues in N.I. that don't help.)

There is certainly an argument that looking at Irish pro rugby as a whole would encompass some form of unitary player development. BUT how would you persuade a guy on the fringe of first team opportunities at one province to move for better exposure at another. The player might benefit, the 'new' province might benefit, Ireland might benefit. Players are human however and many / most would prefer to stay where they are. The incentives would need to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Good post. You could be onto something with a national unitary academy development program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I'm not sure you can clearly delineate between the academy and the senior squad when it comes to player development. Leinster's development of emergent players improved while Lancaster was there. Was that because the way the Academy operated improved? Or was it because Lancaster involved players outside the senior squad in his training sessions? I would say it's more the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

This is true, and Munster are now starting to do the same. Ulster have done so for a while - Doak, Sheridan, Postlethwaite, various back-rowers that subsequently evaporated etc. Ulster are also very keen users of the year-long development contract.

I don't believe some sort of actual single national academy per se would be beneficial - a "programme" across all four academies, perhaps.

I would say this, though. Young fellas on the cusp of breaking through to pro rugby are going to have to get used to dealing with their own slumps in form, injuries, bad ref calls in crucial decisions, tough losses etc. The idea that it's too much to ask they go to another province for the good of the sport in Ireland is treating them with kid gloves a bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

3 weeks into the league and having only seen highlights, it appears from posters on here and the match reports that there are several young players going well.

None of the matches are on you tube, just highlights. It appears that Forde is really stepping up at Connacht. McAnn at Ulster and O'Brien at Leinster. For Munster, Nash has been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Whether you care to admit it or not if you have no association with a country and then move to Dublin where you're surrounded by people with Leinster-centric views, with your son going to school and having friends who only support Leinster to a point where he supports Leinster too then it's naturally going to have an influence. Those decisions involve a team on your doorstep that your neighbours support, your son supports, local radio gives extra glowing coverage towards, you see their flags for on your way to work every day versus three other teams that you have absolutely no connection with whatsoever. Of course it's a factor.

I think Humphries will have a very different and very welcome perspective on matters having both seen the system from an Ulster perspective and as an outsider over in England. He's seen his province labelled as a "basket case" in the Dublin media before, he's watched the career of a player as talented as Darren Cave come and go with just 11 caps and looked on perplexed as an Ulster legend and rugby ambassador Ruan Pienaar was denied an extension in Ulster while Nacewa with a similar status in Leinster was allowed return. All to justify the development of Cooney who seemingly wasn't on the international radar for Schmidt anyway.

There's much to improve and those associated with Ulster understand that more than anyone on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jesus, I never thought I'd see someone choose Darren Cave as a hill to die on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Well Darren was a very talented 13. A great defender and organiser but who had two huge drawbacks. Not enough pace and Ireland's best ever 13 in BOD. In another era he could well have had many more caps than he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Since

All 4 Provinces (all professional rugby) is owned & largely paid for by the IRFU

&

The national team is the priority fr the IRFU

&

The school system (particularly in Leinster) is an existing pathway into the professional game

Would the establishment of an IRFU National Rugby Academy (rather than provincial academies) which might include an NFL style 'draft system' whereby 'levelling up' of provinces would be aided by less performing provinces having first choice of Academy graduates have any merit ?.

Academy players might be allocated to AIL for game time or would that be too disruptive to AIL clubs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Smith didn't seem to like him at 13 for whatever reason, picking him at 12 a few times instead. Personally, I think he'd have been a way better pick than Earls at 13 in the 2015 QF. 12. Fitzgerald, 13. Henshaw would have been better than what he went with too, for me. And Jackson ahead of Madigan. Some of the selections for that game are very questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

If you’re referring to the fraud case I really don’t think that is hurting him. The case has been over for a year, he pled guilty so if Munster wanted him gone they could have. He was injured most of last year and is struggling to get any look in at a very competitive position.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I went back and had a quick look at some attacking stats, ranging from the 2nd test in New Zealand in the 2022 Summer tour, up until and including the QF loss to New Zealand last month. Respectfully, I am not including games against Italy or lower-ranked opposition. I am only looking at games Sexton started.

New Zealand 12 - Ireland 23: Sexton had 27 passes and 2 runs for 30 metres gained.

New Zealand 22 - Ireland 32: Sexton had 12 passes and 1 run for 16 metres gained.

Ireland 19 - South Africa 16: Sexton had 16 passes and 2 runs for 4 metres gained.

Wales 10 - Ireland 34: Sexton had 18 passes and 8 runs for 23 metres gained.

Ireland 32 - France 10: Sexton had 22 passes and 5 runs for 68 metres gained.

Scotland 7 - Ireland 22: Sexton had 27 passes and 5 runs for 20 metres gained.

Ireland 29 - England 16: Sexton had 27 passes and 9 runs for 47 metres gained.

South Africa 8 - Ireland 13: Sexton had 16 passes and 6 runs for 9 metres gained.

Sexton's "pass:run" ratio fell between 3:1 at its most run-heavy (v England in the 6N), and 14:1 at its most pass heavy (first win in NZ). I like this statistic because it normalizes for the amount of times we were actually in possession and not looking to kick.

His metres-gained per carry, for me, is the key. Even into his late thirties, and controlling for outliers, he was good for 4-5m on a carry, which is outstanding. No out-half will come close to this running threat at that age. Especially in tests at that level, and making that many carries per game (robust average of ~4 carries per game).

Defenses absolutely had to take his running threat seriously, and with those runs coming at a robust-average ratio 5:1 across those games, it was a threat that required constant focus by defenses.

Now let's look at the data from the QF loss:

Ireland 24 - New Zealand 28: Sexton had 73 passes and 1 run for 6 metres gained.

Even if you adjust down the 73 passes (at least 37 of them would have occurred in that final drive), this makes 36 passes to 1 run, or a ratio of 36:1. This is two-and-a-half times more than his most pass-heavy game since Summer 2022, and 7 times more than his robust average over that same period. And some might argue that you should not adjust the 73 passes...

But I honestly think you can discount activity in the final drive, and still conclude that Sexton's running threat was practically null for the entire game. We were a pass-heavy and predictable attack. And this policy deviated drastically from our effective performances against top tier opposition in the 18 months previous. Whether it was burn-out, injury, nerves, fatigue, who knows. You will have a hard time convincing me that it was a deliberate tactical decision that they thought would win the game.

Now, you can justly argue that we were nonetheless a Beauden Barrett miracle defensive effort away from reaching a semi-final. So I am not concluding that Sexton's overall performance lost us the game. On another day, we do get that try and probably close out the game. (And probably win the RWC....).

But in the last 18 months, we offered a two-pronged attack and won most games by more than a score (i.e., clear of the influence of these Barrett-like freak moments).

In the game where the data show that we drastically departed from this, we lost.

Note 1: What I mean by "robust average" is taking the exponent of the average of the log transformed data. It controls for outliers, akin to a median, but it's more granular. @jacothelad, I'm sure, can confirm that this is the appropriate measure with sparse and skewed data).

Note 2: Click the scores if you want to look at the underlying data and DYOR (finding matches on that ESPN site is a pain; you're welcome).

Post edited by Neil3030 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Interesting data. I do think it reinforces that something was off about us the whole game. We just weren't the team we normally are - the question is why. I'm sure chasing the game for the whole thing was a large part of it, but its unfortunate to get away from your game when chasing it as it makes it seem like panic. If that was the case it just highlights how bad the first 20 were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Excellent research, well done and thanks. I'd argue that the stats from the New Zealand quarter final stem from nerves. It has been denied by many that it was the cause of our defeat but it was clear that we didn't play with freedom and we were tight. Your stats back this up. Sexton and others didn't play like they've played for the previous 2 years. The occasion got to them. People don't like this being referred to as choking or bottling it but whatever anyone wants to call it, it will always be a massive regret for Sexton and this squad. Hopefully lessons will be learned from it.

People don't like this being referred to as choking or bottling 

Well duh.

They were affected by nerves is a perfectly reasonable thing to say, as is wondering how they can improve that going forward (e.g. bringing in coaching staff with a recent experience of winning these games). Saying they "bottled it" just makes you sound like an asshole who never really wanted them to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Great research, does convince me further that Sexton was not at his best in that last quarter and shovelling on ball. Crowley should have been on, whether he would have made a difference you can argue the toss but I'd wager he'd have ran the ball more.

I'd say that World Cup will haunt those players, we arrived in the best shape we'd been in, suffered few/no major serious injuries throughout and then didn't perform to anywhere near our best when it counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think it may haunt Farrell too, he stuck with his conviction, it didn't work and now we all wonder, what if

Btw, @Neil3030 great research

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

The school system is primary Pathway in some of the provinces but the provinces and irfu are putting in systems and set ups to help widen the player pool through smaller schools and the youths clubs. Be it the development centres and then clubs selects playing schools teams etc.

I don't see a national academy working. Irfu had that initially but they decentralised it to provinces 20 years ago and I don't see it ganging any time soon.

All academy players are already with ail clubs and play with them depending on if with irish 20s or already have stepped up to involvement with provonces senior sides

Affected by nerves is just a different way of saying they bottled it. It's the same thing. People have gone out of their way to deny that the defeat was down to the occasion getting the better of them. This denial is counterproductive to learning from it. Research like that from Neil will force those in denial to accept what really happened.

"They bottled it" or "they choked" is not the vocabulary of someone trying to learn from the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

While on the general topic of "haunting" there's a point that has been lingering in my mind since the game. But I need to be very careful how I word this, as it can easily be taken the wrong way.

Farrell has clearly built a strong emotional connection with the players. And no stronger than his connection with Sexton. Combined, it's a large component of our recent successes.

However he also might have looked at the final ten or so minutes in that game and empathized a bit too much with Sexton.

Suppose he had taken Sexton off, and we had gone on to lose regardless. I (and many others) would argue that it was the correct decision, regardless, given the state of affairs: losing anyway, and Crowley offered something different. It's worth a punt.

However there is also the personal side of this decision. This was Ireland's captain, arguably our GOAT (behind Stephen Archer, at least), it was his last ever game, it was a RWC QF, we have never won one. It would surely have haunted Sexton for the rest of his life, wondering if, had he stayed on for those ten minutes, would have gotten us across the line.

Now, if it were a ruthless, by-the-numbers coach like a Nienabar/Erasmus or the likes of a Bill Belichick (possibly even a Schmidt), Sexton is replaced. I have little doubt about this.

But Farrell, the more emotionally intelligent coach, leaves him on.

The bond he has built with players is worth an awful lot, and Irish people are, by and large, more tailored to respond to emotion and loyalty. But no system is perfect.

It's all, ultimately, conjecture, bordering on complete and utter speculation, but if we're looking purely at action items going forward, perhaps it's worth looking at when the heart is ruling the head that little bit too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Agree it points to a heart over head decision.

Also felt the players saying after the match how gutted they were they couldn’t do it for Johnny was a completely misguided mindset, I think that would have warped their motivation, too much emphasis on one player is a bad idea, the goal to win a quarter final should have been the same prize for every single player, it’s bizarre to distract players with guilt that someone else is more important to do it for than themselves. Something very off there in the mental approach.

• Advertisement

Those phrases mean the same as the affected by nerves phrase you used. Some were trying to deny this happened. Including some high profile ex players but also many supporters. Learning to cope with the pressure and not fold in quarter finals is essential going forward. Unfortunately, we will probably never have as good a chance to win a World Cup as this year, we blew it.

Advertisement