Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's a question for the longer term really depending on how the season plays out... for the moment though, a goal or assist every 60 minutes is obviously more than enough for him to thoroughly deserve his starting spot (and that's even aside from the chaos and energy he brings that is particularly lacking from some other players).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No width today. First game we’ve probably missed Robbo. Gomez is not going to provide any from LB. And Tsimikas was even worse off the bench.

Even though Harvey should have done a lot better for the Luton goal. He got another assist off the bench today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

delighted for Diaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

Looking at Nunez's miss you would have to wonder why he didn't stab at the ball rather than the power side foot attempt.

The Salah missed header is almost as bad as Darwin’s miss. Both should have scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Salah way off it today, Szob as well. Who wasn't really, barring VVD and Ali.

Nunez, barring that miss, wasn't bad but a bit greedy at times, just seemed very rushed. Its a shocking miss and happens way too often.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• You used to be a level headed poster. When did the cult of Liverpool overtake your life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Delighted for Diaz.

Huge compliments to the Luton player who put his arm around him as well. Must have been a huge disappointment for Luton to lose the lead but to show that bit of compassion says an awful lot about that player. Class act.

As disappointed as we are it is great to see a bit of humanity as well.

• Advertisement

Did they show lines for the miss to see if it was on or off in the post-match stuff? Looking at freezeframes without lines it looks like Mo's a hair offside alright, leaning past the defender - the lines would help though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

For me I'm surprised we haven't had one or two more of these types of performances already this season. We've changed the way we play compared to even last season and are bedding in a new midfield so I was expecting a bit of a disjointed team and set of performances up to the new year. Top 4 was the goal for me and a good crack at the EL.

I mean it’s a free header right in front of goal that he completely skews off the side of his head. Only for Darwin missed the follow up we’d all be talking about that miss instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I don't see how you say that. How many goals does Salah score with his head? It wasn't a routine header. When it comes across to Nunez though, that's a sitter for any top class striker. He's exciting to watch, has to really well this season but those misses are far too regular and they're far more costly in tight games like today.

I still think Mac Allister being shoehorned into the number 6 role really doesn't work, particularly in a game like today where they've sat back and we've dominated possession. Has to be addressed in the January window.

Thought the narrow-Trent thing was poor today. He kept just getting into other players space, and his passing was underhit often as not anyway, so not really providing any benefit. Just not enough gain to give up the width he can offer in a more normal fullback role.

Maybe there are games where another body in the middle helps, but that definitely wasn't today.

• Advertisement

I think there's an element of deflection here tbh

Comparing an over the top missed header to a sitter on an open goal he could see coming a mile away.

If you wanna get technical, Salah at least kept the ball alive as well.

I've not seen a tap in miss that bad in a long time.

He'd lots of longer shots today, and you don't begrudge that, but I do think we are missing something in our buildup play when he's on the ball.

Didn't see anything, I thought Salah was just on. Carra thought so on commentary.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why is McAllister still playing there?

1) Has Endo just been that bad?

2) Whats up with Bajcetic? He was fantastic when he came in for ye last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

With gomez playing left back, I thought taa had to play wide. We were so narrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

With McAllister on a booking, I would’ve brought Endo on with 15 to go. McAllister knew he couldn’t foul in the Luton break for the goal. Still not quite the right fit for DM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If it's a penalty for Rodri it's a penalty for VVD, not complicated, I can see why managers are losing their sh it over the fact the calls are going for the Saudi clubs, and against their nearest rivals.

I thought Endo was good the last 2 games he played so you'd have to wonder. Maybe Klopp just doesn't think he's quite ready. I'd hope he'll be on against Brentford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

100%

Beginning of the season was all about Champions League qualification and we are in a good place for that.

Challenging for the league is all good and well but as exciting as the new 'Liverpool 2' (or whatever it is called) is these things take a bit of time.

Win a trophy and qualify for the CL and I'll be happy with the season.

We were out for dinner and a few drinks with the kids so it was only ever one eye on the match, seemed to me there were plenty off the boil.

Just haven't seen enough of Endo personally. Klopp must not be a huge fan for prem games.

I think Bajetic was better than the absolute dross around him for a few games last season but not sure he's ready for anything like that.

It's what Klopp has done with almost every defensive player he's brought in really... Mac Allister was a few months ahead of Endo in the door, so not too surprising that he prefers him in the role for the moment since so much of it is a 'systems' position.

Would like to start seeing Endo come in before too long alright though, has looked really good in the games he's played so far, particularly the more recent ones.

Looking at this it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other... looks like his shoulder/sleeve point is pushing out beyond the defenders last point. Really, it needs the proper lines to know either way, very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Alonso77

That point today could be crucial. Last season we lost to forest away, we are definitely inproved from last yr. Gonna have a few dodgy days getting a point is better than none. Main thing now is to keep as close to citeh as possible meaning avoiding defeat against them in a few weeks

Obsessed with the lines!

Need to put the ball in the back of the net to see them

True, I forgot that. Don't think Sky did a line across either.

• Advertisement

Obsessed? Just making speculative conversation around the Mo offside, around whether or not their respective misses were actually relevent... never mind... 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Came in to say this as well.

All the attention will go on that Nunez miss, because he is the easy target, but Salah also missed that chance and was a lot worse overall today. One of his worst games at the club.

That Nunez miss was a shocker though, there's no getting away from it. Up to Klopp now to restore his confidence again. He started the game in flying spirits but ended it quiet.

I don't think Endo is as good as Szoboszlai, Mac Allister and Gravenbach/Jones and from what I can see he wants to get the best players in midfield at the moment.

I also think that he feels Endo isn't fully up to speed yet for the DM role. Fabinho was here months before he got the spot if I remember correctly and Mac Allister has had the whole preseason to get up to speed whereas Endo came in late.

I'd say we might see Endo more after the international break with games coming much quicker with less of a break.

I'm not making excuses for Nunez because the miss was awful but I don't think the ball should be going to him from where Salah was.

Honestly I don't think it'll affect his confidence at all, just after the miss he had an excellent shot from a tough take and drew a good save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The use of Gomez and Trent was baffling really.

Gomez can't make the pitch bigger, and Trent was inverted more often than not.

Mo was very poor. Played 95 minutes midweek in a storm in the Caraboa as well so I'm not sure if that was for the best really. As fit as Mo is he's still 31 and needs his minutes managed.

Probably Szobo's worst game for Liverpool as well and he played most of the game midweek also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Mo wasn't great last week vs Forest either. Probably still too reliant on him in spite of the advances we've made thus far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Performance was poor today. I thought we lacked width, and the middle 3 were poor overall-Grav was OK in the first half, but Szlob and particularly Mac were off the pace. I've been disappointed with Mac overall, I understand he's playing a bit deeper than his best position but he turns over possession a lot, and sometimes in bad positions. We were slow to move the ball and players like him and Szlob ought to be able to up the tempo to a speed that the likes of Luton should be struggling with.

That said, we still created several good chances (yes, I'm looking at you Darwin) and should have won.

It's an argument you'd not make if we took our chances. We had 75% possession, with 24 shots, and 7 corners. Today was about the front 3, who all had an off day.

• Advertisement

Is it fair to say that today is the first bad result of the season?

Draws away at Chelsea / Brighton are somewhat ok given their own aspirations. Loss to Spurs is, well, you know.

The rest of the games have been wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Gravenberch has gone straight into the team though,I think maybe he feels endo isn't quite up there,he was talking him up last week " five years left at top level" etc,he will get cup time etc,more hopeful we will see some of bajcetic.

I'd say so. Disappointing to drop points to a team in the bottom three, but really as other posters said, CL football is the aim and we are well on target for that. Anything after that is bonus territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yep, it was a bit like a Saturday kick off after the international windows! Just a poor performance overall, but at least salvaged a draw and a point.

On the other hand, I thought Ogbene was excellent for Luton, which is positive for Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Trent has been absolutely atrocious for months now and doesn't work as an inverted midfielder or whatever you want to call it as he just isn't intelligent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭jones

I don't know if he isn't intelligent enough but there's definitely issues with it. Can't believe more isn't being said about it actually but I suppose up until today we've been playing quite well and getting results.

Trent in midfield is not what we need now IMO given the squad changes and creatively in midfield already.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Despite getting some great points on the boards so far this season , some of results have been really laboured especially away from home. There's been signs of performances like today such conceding first yet again, missing sitters like at Brighton and players like Mac/Trent having stinkers and generally lack of intensity in our play.

We have a real problem with LB position and No.6 because Tsimi just giving fouls constantly, Gomez offers nothing compared to Robbo and Mac looks to struggling when we play away . The midfield and defence doesn't seem balanced.

I never even remotely expected a title challenge this season so top 4 will be a great. Brentford up next which will be a very tricky game and we need to improve and stop conceding first and tuck away our chances

Definitely get Trent back wide to free up space in the middle and push Mo further forward.

Szoboszlai tends to operate in those wider right areas now though. Overlapping Salah.

• Advertisement
Advertisement