Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

So, VAR. One week a VAR looks at a pull in the box and gives a penalty. The next week a VAR looks at a pull in the box and gives no pen. Same with a handball. If it’s not going to be consistent, it’s gotta go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Var prob banks on tribalism. Usually 8 teams are happy to laugh at the shocking var decisions, till it hits them.

Arteta the perfect example recently, but many others.

There is no appetite for change save for 2 weeks after a decision goes against you.

For the other instances, all managers are happy to sit back and laugh.

We all do it as fans as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Fair play to the Luton coach & players in getting their scalp, of sorts, at home against the big boys. Tiny bit of luck but they fought very well and got a point out of it.

Their fans absolutely do not deserve to though with their constant tragedy chanting throughout the game and feed the scousers nonsense. I think there was a new rule of some sort that came in this season regarding that so hopefully the club get a strong wrap on the knuckles about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Tragedy chanting should result in serious punishment. Clubs should be made play behind closed doors if they do it. That would stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Follow that through if you start blaming a club for what random people do.

Every club would have to play behind closed doors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: cut the Manchester United and Liverpool bickering. Some posts removed and next in will get the red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It'd force the club to monitor the chanting much more closely and evict those found doing it and giving them life time bans.

Once people seeing other fans being punished then they'd shut up quickly before the same happened to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'll stop believing its corruption when key decisions go against City and Newcadtle. They appear immune at the moment.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If you're saying VAR has to take precedence over the referee's decision, irrespective of how marginal the decision, then that's going way beyond its current remit. Maybe that's the only satisfactory way to do it though, as there's always going to be dispute over what constitutes a 'clear and obvious error'.

All games are (or should be) monitored with CCTV. Even if you don’t want to do that, then other things could be considered. Loss of points. Fines. Forfeit home games. This type of awful behaviour only survives because it is allowed to. Come down hard and it’ll stop. One random fan throwing a coin isn’t what I’m talking about. But hundreds or thousands of fans from a club chanting about Hillsborough, Munich, whatever, then that should warrant a warning, then the section where it’s coming from chould be closed the next week. That would end it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Absolutely.

Same as lads lobbing bottles onto the pitch, same principle - steward the game properly and sort the cvnts out of the ground.

Tthat may have been thought of funny or acceptable when Luton were in the Big time 40 years ago, same as pissing against a wall or standing on a terrace. Shouldn't be hard to police a home crowd of 8 or 9 thousand.

It was caught on camera today, loud and clear. Everyone can hear it. It's not the first time and won't be the last time this season, unfortunately.

Very classy here from Luton captain Lockyer. Diaz had just scored against his team to deny them a massive win, but he is over showing encouragement to Diaz in a nice embrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What do ya mean by tragedy chanting?

• Advertisement

Opposition fans chanting and mocking another clubs tragic past. Ones about Hillsborough, Munich, Leeds fans being killed in Turkey and loads more are very common in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was there chatting at the Luton game?

Chatting? Loads I assume, there was a dog there as well sitting on a seat 🙂

Lots of reports about it, was mentioned on commentary and was audible on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Predictive text!

Didn't watch the game, so wasn't sure if the discussion about chanting was of today or some other game over the weekend.

Agree, no place for it and very serious repercussions should happen if you are caught. Takes a special kind of scumbag to sing such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, unfortunately loads of it - clear enough that the commentary team had to talk about it after the 3rd or 4th blast of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is ridiculous. The majority are ordinary, decent people.

The responsibility for this should fall on the Premier League. They should have officials monitoring games and directing the club on who needs to be banned. If the club don't follow through then they should pay for it but I'd be quite confident they would do what they're told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Post removed by mod

Post edited by DM_7 on

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

ah ffs, its actual meaning and intention is very clear, and always has been. There's no place for it in football, or society.

Post removed by mod.

Post edited by DM_7 on

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

I think if you ask random football fans what's the first thing that comes to mind with that chant, 95%+ will say Hillsborough. And much more importantly, if you ask any of the families of the 97 victims what's the first thing that comes to mind when they hear that chant, they'll say the same thing.

The "well the name of the disaster is not specifically stated" thing is just a cynical get out that's used in an attempt at plausible deniability. Everybody knows what it's invoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Post removed by mod

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In today's social media society it is. Brainless and quick to find guilty, that's what we are dealing with these days.

It doesn't matter about the truth.

I'm not sure about it but usually the chants are a dig at the opposition and not as awful as is being suggested here. Obviously there are some horrible racist and homophobic chants out there.

Thing is with this one, it's like it's encrypted or something if you want to decide it's a direct attack on what happened at Hillsborough.

It's a bit like how that awful newspaper acted at the time of those awful deaths. That's accuse and ask questions later.

If it is an attack on Hillsborough then it should be punished and all those instigating it should be banned for life from all football grounds.

I hope it's not and Luton fans were never like this back in the late eighties and early nineties. Times move on though and things change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

No, it not just about Hillsborough but that is the main driver behind it. The fact you know it's about Hillsborough and you still try and justify how it's legitimate to sing it says it all about you.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It should be a personal responsibility and anyone who see or hears it should be speaking out

It's not encrypted. This is some **** hot take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Amazing.

On so many levels.

Man City apologized when their fans sang it earlier in the year And Carra had to call it out yesterday.

Have you even read what you said? Even if it "wasn't just about Hillsborough"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

Aside from the fact that the song is obviously connected to Hillsborough, the idea that millions of fans of one club have some sort of collective victim mentality is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

You can take issue with Liverpool and their fans re the way they respond to footballing decisions. I certainly do

BUT

Always the victim undoubtedly stems from the Hillsborough tragedy. Its tragedy chanting and has no place in modern society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

When I first heard the chant I assumed it was about Liverpools reaction to the Diaz offside decision.

When I saw that it got such a response I looked it up and it is now clearly about Hillsborough. Even if that wasn't how it started out, that's what its about now. Anyone caught should be banned.

Post removed

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Whether the chant is partly or wholly about Hillsborough, it's unacceptable. Everyone (well not everyone it seems) knows the origin and connotation of the chant and referring to Liverpool fans a "victims", the Luton fans knew well what they were doing, I don't think there can be any doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

So you admit the song is related to Hillborough but think singing it is perfectly fine and that Liverpool fans shouldn't be complaing about a song that's related to Hillsborough being sung.

Very classy of you. If dickheads wanted to sign songs about Hillborough they can just signing "Always the victim" as everyone know, and you've even admitted yourself, that song relates to Hillborough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

The victim mentality thing is a Tory construct aimed at the people of Liverpool as a whole not just the soccer team. When you consider what happened in April 1989 it’s pretty disgusting.

Opposing fans sing feed the scousers to Everton fans too.

It says a lot about someone to say something like that and try justify tragedy chanting. I'm not shocked though to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's about as subtle as a sledgehammer in the face.

Being charitable, always the victim means Liverpool fans were the victims of Hillsborough so are always the victims, or some cutting edge socioeconomic satire like that.

Why would people use the deaths of 97 people to make a point?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod note - couple of warnings applied and posts removed. Please move on from the meaning of the chant as it is clear what it means, what it means to those it was aimed at and the intent of such chants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

The beautiful game, has, sadly, always and continuing, a less than beautiful fan base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Arteta and Arsenal have been calling the PGMOL out for months and asked for a meeting months ago after bad decisions.

I didn’t see anyone back him then.

This is from February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

I do think it’s unrealistic for managers to call out injustices on behalf of other teams publicly.

Everything they say is said with a view to being beneficial for their own team. Arteta will say he’s unhappy with something that happens to Arsenal one week to put it in refs minds to stop it from happening again, and he’ll be more diplomatic about other things not affecting Arsenal so it doesn’t sound like he has an issue with the quality of refereeing overall.

Privately though, the clubs themselves should be holding PGMOL to account for every obvious wrong call/apology throughout the season to ensure they don’t happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think Havertz should have been sent off, but I also think Newcastle got very lucky. Bruno G should absolutely have seen red.

It also annoys me that Ten Hag is so passive about the poor decisions United have got this season.

The Spurs penalty decision is so frustratingly bad, and he says nothing. Arsenal/Arteta know what they are doing, at the least they are putting pressure on the refs to give the subjective calls their way. While no one cares if United have decisions against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Yet he said this about referees after the Diaz debacle: “I think they are trying to make the best decisions, they are trying to protect the game, they are trying to get as much support and be ruthless when they need to be."

So yes, it's tribalism. People have an issue when it happens to their team, not before.

Having said all that, anyone genuinely equating the Arsenal decision to the Diaz one are insane. The Arsenal one was 3 subjective calls where the referees all deliberated on each individual decision and came to a conclusion.  You can have an issue with the end result, but the system at least worked and you got a decision they all agreed on, and it was implemented.  The Diaz one had the referees agreeing that it was a goal, but confusion meant the goal wasn’t awarded.  That is complete and utter incompetence and objective failure, with no subjective argument against it as a fúck up.

Yes, the common denominator is bad officiating.  But the Diaz one is the one that really should’ve brought about change, but the likes of Arteta essentially ignored it.  If you can’t force change on the back of that one, then it won’t happen.  Whether we like it or not, on pretty much every decision they can always argue a bit of subjectivity.  They couldn’t with the Diaz one.

So Arteta can do all the moaning he wants because he had his chance to help affect change, and he blew it, because in reality, he doesn’t actually care about the integrity of the game.  Not one bit.  He cares about HIS team, and that is it.  If he cared about the game, Diaz’s goal was the chance to press it home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There would be no discussion on this if Raya had just caught the ball as he should have done. It was an easy catch. However that was a foul on Gabriel every day of the week. VAR is badly broken or even worse.

Colwell turning his back on that, awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Spurs starting well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement