Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What needs to be done here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Windows, doors, insulation, kitchen, bathroom, heating likely needs a complete overhaul, may need a rewire. That could be done over time but a rewire is exceptionally disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You come across as a very caring friend.

I'm sure the new owners will appreciate you starting this thread on the biggest public forum in Ireland.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I'm always raise an eyebrow when anyone posts asking advice for a friend.

That aside, with regard to the house, the short answer is a lot of work. The floors may be okay as they look pretty solid, but that wall-paper would be a concern. If you strip it off, you could find all sorts of issues underneath, so you'll probably have to get it re-plastered. Beyond that, you'll almost certainly need a rewire, and notice how they don't show any bathroom in the photos. That means it's probably a write off, so add that to the list.

Basically, you'll be parking a large skip outside that hour and filling it. Once the house is gutted, restoration can begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think the 90's is being too kind.

As others have said rewire.

New kitchen and bathroom.

Rip out all that wood and closets.

Wallpaper down.

Looks like some mould in one of the rooms , figure out cause and address it.

I don't think this is a house you could move into and do one room at a time. There's nothing there I'd say is salvageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dublincc2

They are on a tight budget, I haven’t been to the house myself but they sent me the listing, would it be feasible to wait until they have saved up? Bear in mind they have a three year-old child as well and they have been renting in apartments prior to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

Nothing has been done to that house since the 70’s I’d say, and that was to retrofit the heating.

It’s a complete gut. Make sure the roof is ok, the attic is dry, and start then to clear her out. Hard to know what condition the floors are in but you might get to keep the stairs.

Windows. Doors. Heating/Replumb, Electric rewire, insulation (wall and attic), plastering, new bathrooms, kitchen, doors/skirting, flooring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

New windows and doors, rewiring. Bare in mind with rewiring means stripping the walls so plastering all walls, new bathroom, new kitchen. Best to do most work before they move in. Hope they got the house cheap.

Living the life

Did they go into this with their eyes closed?

As mentioned already the work is going to be messy. So I wouldn't fancy living there while it's getting done.

I do think rewiring, bathroom and kitchen are priority especially with a young child.

Bathroom will be around 10-13k that's what I was quoted for mine, last month.

Kitchen, I haven't a clue but even essentials of white appliances you'd be looking at 1-2k and that's just going bog standard. I'm guessing as there's no pictures the kitchen is a shambles.

Chasing the wires for the electrics will mean each room will need to be replastered. I'd be very reluctant not to get the electrics sorted on a house that hasn't been updated in decades.

Old houses have a happy knack of giving you a few unwelcome surprises.

At a very conservative guess I doubt you'd have change from 50k especially if you don't have skills or someone who can do mates rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

50k even if you could do most of the work yourself and you were being frugal on your purchases I would say. Even a cheap fully fitted and furnished kitchen could be the bones of 20k including flooring, lights and appliances

As others have said it's probably best to gut the house and start over.

However there's nothing to stop your friend moving in immediately so long as everything works. I would turn the heating on full blast for a few days and dry out the place first. It looks damp.

I would do the whole upstairs first then downstairs. Put your beds in the living room. Pull down the upstairs walls and ceiling, rewire the upstairs, and replaster everything.

When upstairs is done then at least you have bedrooms and storage. Then I'd do the downstairs. That'll be tough as you'll lose the kitchen for a few weeks.

Probably lose the shower as well for a week.

It won't be easy and it won't be very safe for a young child. It's also dirty work and the house will be filthy for at least 6 months. Definitely would not recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Take a full two weeks off, gut it & have some friends lined up for 2 day stents to assist. Large skip outside & fill up with all the wooden fittings.

Check floor for existing insulation, check to see if suspended timber floor.

Air out the whole house, the room with the damp seems to be due to a lack of ventilation, unless the roof gutter is leaking down the wall causing dampness in this way.

As above post you won't see change out of €50k for all the professional work.

• Advertisement

To add to the above yes I think they are aiming to gut the house. It’s unsalvageable on the inside, I’m not sure how long it’s been like that for but there’s a picture of Pope John Paul II in there so that’s a clue.

Also the area itself is of some concern, it’s a long row of houses on a one way street up a hill at the back of Carrickmacross town, and a very disturbing aspect is that when researching the area they found that the actual car that was used in the Omagh bombing in 1998 was stolen on the same street a few doors down. Because of this they intend to get the driveway modified to allow space for their car as to not leave it outside, both for the above incident and also damage from one way traffic on a narrow road. I personally think this is not a priority given the budget they are on but it’s their house.

They also are concerned about the heating in the house which (I don’t know the details) is prone to causing a fire. I believe the house is gas heated and there were some issues with neighbouring houses related to this, although more than that I don’t know.

They haven’t moved in yet, they are renting in Dublin where they both work but want a house of their own and I believe it went for around €140000.

It speaks volumes to the scale of how much money has been printed and how out of whack the housing market is that that thing can sell for 140k!

Personally speaking, buying a derelict house is fine, but if the area itself is not suitable, then I wouldn't do it. You also mentioned that they have a child. One could not live in that house whilst fixing it up with a baby present. Between the dust and the noise, it simply isn't suitable.

You seem determined to prove a point that they made a bad decision buying this house.

Yeah I wouldn't have bought it as you're really looking at another 140k to get it to a nice modern standard.

Cash aside I wouldn't have the mental capacity to deal with a full house renovation and the inevitable problems that will be found once the surface is scratched.

Trying to parent a child at the same time definitely not.

Personally I'd rather pay 240k for a "tired" house that only needs some TLC.

However, it's not me or you that is embarking on this journey.

If you care about the friendship, roll up your sleeves and give them a hand, while keeping negative opinions to yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

rewiring does not necessarily mean replastering (speaking as someone whose house is currently being rewired). you might need to backfill where cables were chased in walls, but that's not the same as a full replaster.

however, the house pictured may well need to be plastered anyway. there seem to be rooms which were not included in the photos; the photo through a doorway - the doorway with the picture of the pope above it, seems to show a room not in the other photos, and it looks in even worse nick than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

True enough. In this example it's better to just pull down the plasterboard. I would also look at the studs. Be afraid the timber is rotten and damp.

My parents got a rewire on their house when they bought it in 2005. It was a house built in the 1950s, so all the internal walls were solid brick. This meant that they had to be chased, and the dust created was brutal. There may be ways to keep it down, but it's a messy job one way or another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

problem i found was that most electricians are not interested in house rewires - they have enough 'clean' work on new builds or commercial work that they don't want to take on dirty work retrofitting old houses. i guess if the house above was a strip out before anyone moved in might make them more likely to take it on. whatever happens, the rewire should be done before anyone moves in and the house is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OP

Was the house vacant before they bought. If it was empty for two years they are entitled to the house refurbishment grant. It's 50k. As well if there is structural issue there is another 20k available.

Finally they can also avail of SEAI grants. All in all if the house is vacant two years up to about 100k in grant assistance available. By the look of it it was empty.

That is the route your friends go

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

People's expectations have changed so much in the last few decades.

In the 1970s that would have been a perfectly acceptable house to live in - it even has central heating.

Once you get the heating working there is no reason why you couldn't live there - far from luxurious and the decor would be first to go. If you are any way handy and determined, over a couple of years you could get a lot of work done yourself, room by room.

Far preferable to living in a house share or with your parents.

• Advertisement

Yes it's up to buy by adding the SEAI it's a real option to modernize a small house like that. Put another 20-30k with the grant money and you are looking at a serious amount of work that could be done.

Replumb, rewire, new windows and doors, upgrade insulation and heating system, new kitchen and flooring. The derelict is more if any structural issues needs to be addressed which would cover the roof.

This is what we have explained many times about the comparison of house price now and 30,40 or 50 years back. The difference in the standards and quality of houses is totally different

Slava Ukrainii

To a certain extent I agree with you.

I have friends who put a tent up inside 😂 but they were bouyed up by youth, and the adventure of it all*.

In theory once you've running water you don't need a kitchen. You could survive with a slow cooker, camping stove, kettle and microwave, or a combination.

The electricity would bother me, I would prefer to have it up to code before moving in.

You can rough it to a certain degree, but they have a young child to think of too. The place needs to be safe for a child, plus personally I'd prefer a decent working bathroom especially when children are involved.

*They did say at the end they'd never do it again. It was fine at the beginning but inevitable delays etc pushed timelines back etc.

People in the past certainly had lower expectations, but as mentioned above, comparing then to now is apples and oranges.

Trust me, I know what I am talking and that house needs replastering.

Living the life

Are you sure you can get 100 k assistance in grants? Or you just guessing... Have you tried yourself to get this assistance and received it!

Living the life

Well it wasn't that long ago my friends did it....I'm not that old 😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

I'm pretty sure that house has been empty as long as I remember. And I'm in my thirties. I've an aunt that lives along there so would pass it on a fairly regular basis. Rodents would be a concern as well as damp and mould behind and that wood.

Slava Ukrainii

Are you aware of the Omagh bombing connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Put the JFK photo back up over the fire. That, with the other lads hanging already should keep everything in good order.

Advertisement