Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

They're a bit on the heavy side I'd say for daytime radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ive more or less stopped listening and listening back to Ed (since his neutering) but he used play them a good bit but then seemd to stop. That John Caddell fella probably has something to do with it. He comes across as the type of clown who would take any bit of a slight to the grave.

Today FM also have stopped playing Sinead O Connor after 2 weeks of 8 songs a day after she died. Sums those in charge of the music up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,768 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nail on head.

After she died we were told about her amazing voice, greatest in a generation, one of the best ever.

Now apparently it's not good enough for the radio shows that attract the greatest number of listeners, during the daytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

2fm play them consistently, along with Irish artists from genres outside daytime radio style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The Spooky Samhain show was decent last night. Nice bit of Gaeilge thrown in too. And tunes you normally wouldn't hear. Maith thu Louise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

As soon as I heard Alison Curtis on radio I turn off and she was on for Dave Moore this week so it was zero listens this week.

I don't think the Dave Moore show will last, said it at the start it's a forced show, the strength of the show and Dave was Dermot he was the comedy.

It's the Dave Moore show but it is literally all about Dave Moore building stuff in his back garden, guitars the show serves a purpose of him to get free stuff, work with Sky, the car company etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Don't love her but she was a nice break from Dave. She made a sh1te of Bamboozle though, sorry I mean Music Master.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I wonder if it’s complicated for a presenter to learn how to do in terms of all the things that need to be played out? There’s a lot to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Lots of people listen to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

In fairness it's not the worst quiz it's just needlessly convoluted and then Dave has to go full Dave and make it about him eg "heres me playing songs on the bass, can you guess them" no Dave they're indecipherable!! "Heres me humming tunes", no Dave you're just making noises with your mouth, not actually humming.

• Advertisement

The quiz takes too long. It’s a cop-out where they dont have to think of content for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

No, of course it doesn't, but hyperbole! 🤣

The Dave Moore Show, in my opinion, isn't as good as Dermot and Dave was. It's getting better, slowly, but still has lots of room for improvement. Constructive criticism (as opposed to "I hate everything about it, here's some exaggerations, or remember from two months ago!"):

* It's still too "busy" - too many segments instead of just organic chat. Which is kinda understandable, it's a lot easier than being spontaneous or bouncing off the other presenter.

* Speaking of - there's not enough use made of the other presenters/producers - Cathal and Maria work really well with Dave, when they're on air.

* The presenter-of-the-day thing doesn't work. It could only work if they sent out professional equipment, otherwise it just sounds like someone on the phone. Which is what it is.

* The Music Master quiz is good, but possibly a bit too long. (It was only 14 minutes for the two contestants, today, including a tiebreaker, not an hour; and I've not heard Dave playing guitar on it or humming songs, after maybe the second week - he's no Ann Gleeson. The final round for each contestant is usually distorted, sped up or slowed down tracks.)

* There's definitely room for improvement, but it's still early days - it only started in mid-August.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

* Speaking of - there's not enough use made of the other presenters/producers - Cathal and Maria work really well with Dave, when they're on air.

This is the big miss for the show IMO, when Dermot was off doing his tour, they had Cathal, Sean and Maria on and interacting with Dave and it was great craic, it was reminiscent of the Lunch time Ray Foley show, where Ray wanted an ensemble style show.

They could keep the Dave Moore branding and just have more and more interaction from a cast of co-hosts.

Any time I’ve listened, it felt like it was the main content for that hour and nothing else was planned for the rest of it.

The podcasted version of the quiz averages at 11 minutes so from the cash machine at the start of the hour to the end of music master (when you add in music and ads between rounds) and then any reaction to the quiz, and you’re looking at a significant chunk of the hour being dedicated to it.

Admittedly I’m not a daily listener but any time I have listened, nothing else in terms of actual content has happened within that hour outside of the quiz, unless does Dave’s bad jokes happen at 10:55?

Even then, it’s another thing that’s a feature and so I would write off 10-11am as a time where nothing worthwhile happens on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Some of it MIGHT be complicated, but Alison literally couldn't add up the scores and virtually answered the questions if the contestants took longer than 3 seconds to answer.

She can't go a day without a boo-boo on any of her shows.

Pamela Joyce has just said that today was her last show. She said she’s going back to Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

I wonder if she is going to Galway bay fm, I think they are looking for a new radio dj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Heard her sign off there. Was there any mention of why?

I liked Pamela.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Paula McSweeney for that slot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Very strange for no prior notice of her leaving until right at the end of the show and if you look at today fms Instagram post, they have the comments disabled on just that post, no others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I wonder was this her own choice...

There's not a lot in Galway for her if she wants to continue with the broadcasting career.

I'd say it'll be one of Louise Cantilon, Paula Mac or Dara Quilty for that slot. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Foley moved into that slot, his original time slot and probably one he'd prefer over the late afternoon. And then one of the aforementioned 3 takes his current slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

Tubridy is the complete opposite of the direction TodayFM are going for. Can you imagine Tubs playing Cardi B and Olivia Rodrigo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Dave to Lunch and Anton Savage or Tubs to mid morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,915 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Maybe connected to her random unexplained mid-show dissapearance a few weeks ago?

Paula McSweeney is back now anyway so should slot in, she hasn"t a set show to return to with pre-Ian slot gone-ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I thought Paula had moved to 7-10pm before she went on maternity leave, back doing that now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Paula has only just been given the 7-10pm slot Sunday to Thursday as her own. Probably going to be Louise Cantillon and Stephen Daly sharing until a more permanent solution is brought in. The message on the Today FM instagram seems amicable enough so it's hard to say she's been sacked. Like some say maybe it's a personal issue to which we should respect her privacy. Its been publicised that she's gotten some really nasty poison pen letters in her time at the station and has had some nasty attacks here on boards which she picked up on and that kind of behaviour is just not on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,915 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Didn't realise that was actually permanent. Is she doing the random hour before Ian aswell that Louise/Stephen were doing recently.

Advertisement