Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate people saying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭redoctober

In general there are so many unnecessary adoptions of americanisms when we have our own phrases this side of the pond. For me a particular annoyance is the recent use of "quite the..." instead of what we all grew up saying "quite a....". E.g. "that was quite a weekend we just had" has now become "that was quite the weekend we had"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

In an ad for Alpro soy milk products the tagline was “Feed your you”

I wonder what sort of plank in the Alpro marketing office came up with that one?? What does it even mean??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,945 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Scott Grummett is the plank, and he is very proud of his creation. It got your attention, and you are giving it more publicity. Success.

https://www.scottgrummett.com/blog/alpro-feed-your-you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

It certainly got my attention which is the whole idea of these slogans. I still think “feed your you” sounds dumb though 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Yeah Jesus this is an annoying one

Good mate of mine has begun saying it in relation to everything

”We did coffee” suffering jaysus take your head out of your hole haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Not sure if this has already been done but "it is what it is", has to the the most meaningless phrase of all time.

A close second has to be "does that make sense?"/"am I making sense?" after someone has just told you something.

And finally, in a more general sense, what really bugs me is people needlessly over-emoting. For example, the way someone might write the following in a Facebook post to a friend who is jetting off on honeymoon or something.......

"enjoy every minute......"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,945 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is what it is so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

"Colyum" instead of column.

"Do you know that kind of way?" Not sure why but that phrase grinds my gears.

The guy who reads the new on Morning Ireland, and adds unnecessary pauses into his reading so that instead of flowing the delivery is all over the place. Hard to listen to and sounds like he's about to have an asthma attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭MacDanger

It's a "mute" point - it's "moot", a moot point FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pikey

"Out the Gap"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

"Yass"

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

This "Yup" thing that i hear a lot of younger people say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I don't hear people say it but I see it written down a lot, mostly online. It's the version of the phrase "is what we need right now."

Examples: "The Frasier reboot is the comfort food we need right now"

" This photo of Julia Roberts holding a baby monkey is what we need right now"

"News that Sean Paul is dating Megan Thee Stallion is what we need right now"

Most of you probably won't get what I'm on about, but a lot of annoying websites come out with sh1t like this. Maybe I should avoid them!! Why do I hate the phrase? Mainly because the sh1t they say we need right now is always something really stupid that we don't need at all. Apologies, I'm being grumpy.

I also hate when people say Happy Out.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭ottolwinner

The whole clock change talk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Ah no I like yup. It's a chirpy agreeableness.

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

One girl that I hardly know walked by me one day and I can't remember what happened but we had an interaction and it wasn't real like just crap jargon fake talk and at the end of it she said 'happy out'

I just thought, she's been dying to say that all day cause she thinks it sounds cool and no I don't think you're cool cause you said it. There's no 'happy out'...it's like I'm happy but I'm still cool...🙄 Just be happy ffs. Happiness alone is cool enough..don't insult me by playing down your happiness after an interaction with me. And stop using cliched phrases cause you can't think of your own.

Soz.

It's bad enough ever having to say sorry. Why the hell would you try to make it worse for yourself by coming out with that yoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭SodiumCooled

“Better to be looking at it than looking for it”. That statement that I see constantly online recently when people ask for advice on things really really annoys me for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"want gone" usually on an advertisement for some oul shyte that the advertiser is too lazy to clean before display, either that or its only fit for the dump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Everyone is saying"rinse and repeat" lately.

Example of someone describing their mundane life. "Go to work Monday to Friday, take the kids to training Saturday, few pints in the local that night, wash the car Sunday, rinse and repeat..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

why do they wash the car twice on Sunday ? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Skyfloater

If something vaguely usual happens it becomes a "Perfect Storm"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 15,494 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I had an American acquaintance who - when frustrated or expressing disapproval of a person or thing would say “go die in a fire”.

Awful phrase.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

“You can thank me later”

No, I won’t.

It has a real bang of warehouse banter in Romford, Essex off it

• Advertisement

A lot of ppl seem to have a very basic, child like idea of heaven -

like if West Ham win, Paddy will be celebrating having a few scoops with the angles up there tonight.

FFS

Advertisement