Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A banning from Twitter is no more an issue of Free Speech than someone getting banned from Boards would be; it's all social media that has sundry Terms of Service and codes of conduct & trying to render it as anything except that is overegging the pudding. Hopkins and Robinson are performative scumbags and received bans from media outlets to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Take a step back and take a breath there. As with so much of this social media nonsense nowadays, people get far too invested in trying to pidgeonhole people into "sides".

I'm not on Musk's "side" - as above I think he's just another celebrity best largely ignored for the most part - but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Given that Ukraine's allies have shown no evidence of being willing to commit troops and engage in a full-out war with Russia, what would YOU suggest then? As I said, this isn't a movie with the Good Guys vs the Bad Guys and it won't be wrapped up neatly in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And that's well and good to say and I personally probably even agree with you (if ideals were possible) - BUT, it's not up to you and me (or Elon Musk) and Ukraine doesn't have the capacity to break the Russian military as you suggest, and its allies don't seem willing to join the fight in earnest, soooo... what then?

Should the current stalemate just continue indefinitely or until Russia pushes on a country of more interest to the US and NATO? Because that's where it is right now and meanwhile soldiers and families on both sides continue to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm not talking about their twitter status. TomTom stated that they "shouldn't even have a voice in society".

Yes and those limits should be legal, ie directly encouraging or instructing breaking of the law.

Not simply "being a twat".

I believe that Robinson has probably passed that threshold at times and he should be dealt with for that. But the majority of both of their positions are simply extreme views on one side of society and a talent for being obnoxious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be clear, do you think bans and infractions should be scrubbed from Boards? Cos we're talking about the same thing here; yes, on a lot of social media being a troll, twat abusive or what have you absolutely does get you banned from that service. Defamation, libel and so on are legal mechanisms that exist so it's not like we don't have limits to speech already - and lately attempts have been made to codify the concept of "Hate Speech", there is an attempt to match legal frameworks to the world we live in. But ultimately, privately run social media has Codes of Conduct that result in bans by those like Hopkins.

Yes, privately run social media companies can and will do what they want.

However my initial comment was not related to social media. It was responding to someone who said that Robinson/Hopkins should not be allowed a voice in society at all, not just on social media.

As for social media, boards etc, it is a difficult question. Being a twat can ruin the experience. Trolls and abusive arse holes are a plague and social media is their playground. I don't envy anyone trying to find the balance in what to ban from their platform or not but it is not healthy for society when those bans are based on personal and political preference or allegiance. Twitter had a very left leaning oversight. Everyone is complaining now that it has become a right wing cesspool. I don't entirely agree, it's just that when it was a left wing cesspool before and now everyone they banned comes back, of course it's going to seem like a right wing invasion.

What it definitely is though, is still a cesspool. The world would be a better place without Facebook and Twitter.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Musk has launched an AI ChatBot , and will be available only to subscribers to the "Premium Plus" level of Twitter - Which means almost no one.

They've called it "Grok" , a reference to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and it has a "sense of humour" apparently.

Basically , it will be an AI with the attitudes of a sarky 14 year old boy built in - Perfect...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I miss when the world was controlled by somewhat mature people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s modelled on the Hitchhiker’s Guide but the “grok” part comes from ‘Stranger in a Strange Land’ by Robert Heinlein.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭Christy42

I am not talking about ideals. I am talking about facts. Taking a settlement will just allow Russia time to rearm instead of relying on aid from Iran and North Korea and continue the current situation even longer. And yes, no matter what settlements are reach soldiers and families on both sides will continue to suffer. As will civilians in the Ukraine from anywhere Russia takes or is given in a settlement right up until Putin is defeated.

Musk's suggestion is just a down the pub rambling you get from "your man" who thinks they could solve all issues in a sentence if given the chance. Unless he has a ready made settlement that both sides would agree to and would actually prevent Russia from invading again it can safely be said Musk is talking out of his rear trying to look smart.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What I don't understand is why anyone wants to hear what some "Tech-bro Billionaire" has to say about Global Geopolitics anyway.

Whether that's Musk or anybody else - Being super-rich doesn't mean your opinions on stuff outside your direct area of knowledge have more validity than the musing of any other randomer on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I would suggest nothing, like others have posted this is up to Ukraine to decide for themselves and nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I thought grok came from the Judge Dredd strip in 2000AD. maybe they nicked it from Heinlein.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭briany

There are too many people who think that free speech means being allowed to say whatever you want without any consequences whatsoever, no matter how false or damaging what you're saying is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Did anyone watch Elon Musk's Twitter Takeover on PBS Frontline last month? One of the contributors mentioned that he seems to see himself as a kind of Tony Stark figure, although I'm not sure if Tony Stark were real would he be getting involved in petty Twitter arguments.

He has more money than some countries do, yet the one thing he wants most is to be truly popular and cool. While his kind of money would buy you a good facsimile of that, it'll never get you the genuine article.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I think he could have had that if he didn’t say too much and only made the smartarse remark.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Musk proves that all the money in the world won't give you a likeable personality or maturity.

He's the really annoying unlikeable kid in class that just can't understand why he isn't popular.

More to the point, Tony Stark's entire "thing" is he went through a sequence of emotional growths, starting as a glib àsshole and evolving into a rounded, human and empathetic character. Musk seems stuck on the 1st act of Iron Man 1.

Not only is he an infantile idiot as @Quin_Dub alludes to, he's one of those annoying nerds who has missed the point and thrust entirely of his fictional heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Funny thing is, looking back at him early 2010s and he seemed cool to me. Was pushing forward electric cars and space travel. Then fast forward to him offering free frozen yoghurt and rollercoasters at work in an effort to get his staff to not unionize. Around the same time starting to calling the diver a paedophile. All his stupid ideas would largely be viewed as eccentric if he didn't express so many horrible views on top of it.

I do wonder how this will hit Tesla long term. It's made people a lot more critical of the brand. The distance they can go on a charge is great but then you look further into it and the built quality is pretty poor. And I'm in the market to go electric next year and absolutely won't be purchasing a Tesla and the owner is a factor in that decision.

I'm not sure if people stop using a particular brand or product because the CEO is a knob. OK, maybe a small hardcore of people do, but the average person probably isn't bothered. But....like you say, if Tesla lacks in quality and Musk is too busy retweeting edgy memes from The Daily Wire, then it creates a situation for Tesla's market share to be ripped away.

There seemed to be more respect/fawning adulation for tech people back then; Adam Nuemann, Elizabeth Holmes etc. A deflation of the tech bubble (Tesla is valued as a tech company) and the slipping of his mask is going to have a big impact on Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I think it can make people a little bit more discerning though. Eg his attitude toward driving assist safety features etc. It just wouldn't make me confident in the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Welcome to Elmos "Town Square", where posts like this one advocating paedophilia are boosted for just $8 a month and viewed 32m times without sanction (it's been up over 36 hours) 🙄

The Blue Ticks fiasco has turned a once vaguely reputable concept into a sewer. I do wonder has it even been a decent revenue stream for Twitter at least;, has it been worth the reputation damage and loss of advertisers caused by the Ticks dragging the service's quality of experience downwards.

I'm not sure how that tweet is advocating pedophilia when it's including options to either approve or disapprove of the situation being described. If other users click 'yes', that's more on them. Actually, if a lot of people say yes, it would uncover a disturbing societal attitude that needs righting, so it would actually have been a useful tweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

While I doubt I’ll ever have the money to buy a Tesla, if I did, I wouldn’t. I think if you buy something like that, you would be seen to give a tacit thumbs up to the owners very public views. And my view is he’s an immature buffoon, so why would I want to enrich him further?

Advertisement