Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

The Magnificent Seven.

Quote from Business Post:

"There is no divilment left" Pat Kenny swipes at RTE as broadcasting veterans fret over future"

It's behind a paywall but I can imagine Pat's "swipe" was meticulously coordinated, pre planned and perfectly safe.

Uuuh mm……. You could have sommit there, sahib.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Pat Kenny on the RTE gravy train for a long time. I doubt we're going to get an honest debate about RTE or RTE salaries with him as the chairman.

In fact he's never even had a debate about it on his programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm sure there's a thread for that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I do think @log01 has some point though I don't think saving LW really is the answer.

Gavan Reilly is on twitter questioning how much would either cutting 2FM costs down or axing 2FM save in the long term. After all it is only 3m that they give to 2FM from the license fee.

This reasoning could be applied to DAB, LW and AERTEL. Why ditch them when they don't cost all that much in anycase.

Gavan seems to forget that on the one hand if RTÉ made 2FM cost neutral that 3m or so could go to fund other programming across the board.

on the other if 2FM was axed in the morning most of its ad revenue would go to other radio stations, indeed you may find that both RTÉ Radio 1 and Lyric see a bounce in ad revenue, but also even if it were axed by RTÉ 2FM cost would be gone and that 3m or so could be redistributed again.

then if you sell it on the new owner would first cut back on costs and then would go on to change its format to generate income.

Gavan (and those in the media) seem to think that cuts at 2fm are not possible and even if they were possible 2FM it wouldn't save all that much money in any case!

Again you could apply that theory to the NSO which was bring in revenue to RTÉ while also getting funding from the licence fee.

It's bizarre then to think that with all that saving from axing of LW, the moving of the NSO and the axing of DAB that RTÉ would then go to risk spending such savings on The Toy Show The Musical!

Gavan's and other theory could be applied to any part of RTÉ if they so wish, so why not push that theory over the LW and DAB broadcasts.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I think the closure of LW and DAB were for demonstration purposes. The costs associated with both were electrical consumption and transmitter/building maintenance. At the time of carrying Atlantic 252, I think the AM transmitter installation at Clarkstown was capable of delivering 500KW of RF 250KW (after 6pm) and then in later years was reduced to 250KW iirc. Yes, a considerable amount of electrical consumption but the DAB transmitters would have used less. It seems to be easier to decommission (although it took some time) than it is to implement real cost cutting and I am particularly calling out 2FM here. The radio station is cluttered with useless magazine type programming and heavily burdened with overrated presenters and producers. It doesn't even remotely hit it's target audience effectively as most folks of that age group turn to streaming services such as Spotify etc. The reality is that RTE won't sell it and they definitely will not change its overall sound, they may tweak it every couple of years but they have been doing that since 1979. 2FM as a highly formatted CHR/HotAC type variant has the potential to be a hit with the 15-35 year age group, produce healthy revenues while at the same time being ultra streamlined. But unfortunately this will never happen as RTE seem to think that 2FM is not broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Pat is a great current affairs broadcaster but let's me honest, he can't be impartial here after 40 odd years at RTE. He also saw himself as a mentor to Tubridy who he said on his radio show was not really at fault here.

Pat is also very much a man of cold hard logic. In this case, Tubridy's agent looked for the best deal he could get, RTE agreed to it and contracts were signed. End of story. As a man who benefited hugely from that mindset during his own time in RTE, it's silly to think he's going to go back on it now. To paraphrase a well worn saying "Dublin in one small media club, and we ain't in it"

Thanks I am just taking the cost of LW, DAB and AERTEL that are small enough not to worry about getting rid off. I am point out Gavan Reilly's miss interpretation of making 2FM self-sufficient (or closing it down for cost savings), he's point out the savings would be tiny in the over all picture of things. By his analysis sure its only a drop in the ocean and isn't Moya right it keeps the yuff happy. But of course we can argue against both points he is making: -

1. RTÉ cut young people programming (surely that is needed as much to grab a younger audience, and they did that by about 7m)
    2. RTÉ investment into Drama and Comedy is tiny (these are genres that generally attract a younger audience)

So the former chair can say axing 2fm would be akin to killing RTÉ but in reality she did that by agreeing to the cuts to Young Peoples and failing to develop and really local drama or comedy.

Basically I am saying Moya and her defenders are completely wrong, especially as 2FM is not attracting that audience in large numbers.

______

Yesterday

If your on X (Twitter) or any other social network might not be a bad idea to post that Independent article about the RTS event 😁 Thanks!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Well done finding it again. It should be pointed out that is not a one off charge but a yearly recurring cost on top. Madness

With an average pay in RTE (not including the big "stars") of €60k its not like they're calling SVP to help pay the bills, plus are they not on a sliding scale for years worked to start with? Saying no pay increase since 2008 would be very disingenuous if so

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

Very interesting observation re the end of pirate radio and the dawn of licenced local radio in Ireland. On reflection I'd tend to agree with you, much of the cutting edge, radical local pirate radio stations went off the air on NYE 1998 and most failed to get licences which went to the "safe" conservative options. I'm mindful of Mayo Community radio v's MWR here in Mayo. MWR's proposal was backed to the hilt by the Church, Local newspapers and local entertainment business interests so it was never even going to be a contested level playing field. Even the geography itself was telling with MWR's base in the rural agricultural hinterland of Ballyhaunis v's MCR's finger on the pulse of the youth of Castlebar and Westport based out of Moneen, Castlebar.

@alzer100 some interesting videos of young people giving out about the new local station in their area around the time. I did some research a while back. One guy saying "They have mass on!" I think that was LMFM.

Really most of the regionals should have been given 2 stations and if both could survive they would and if one failed it would fail, IRTC just played it safe, with only Dublin getting 2 pop stations.

______

Yesterday

In 1989, the IRTC also had a representative of ESAT on its panel. This was highlighted and contested by one of Dublin's former "Super pirate" operators who were unsuccessful in obtaining a licence. And of course guess who was successful?

Radio 2000...

Unfortunately this was the bearer of the wonderful bland, safe and boring type of radio that is duplicated on Today FM, 4FM, Nova, FM104, Q102... The list is neverending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 underpants pulled down

2fm could easily be streamlined and no longer require licence fee money, shared/simulcast news/nuacht/sport with Radio 1 and Lyric, Lottie given her p45 and a streamlined schedule with only a handful of DJs each day, 6 to 10 Breakfast, 10 to 3 daytime, 3 to 7 Drivetime, 7Pm till 6am overnight music

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Any sign of a gig for poor old Tubrity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

ah stop,just wizzed myself laughing so much at that 🤣😂 surely they arent serious...?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

My friend,the Govt is elected democratically by the citizens of the country.

They use taxpayers money to run the national broadcaster..

They do this to maintain a level of balance in reportage to the population and to obviate the risk of some motor -mouthed

jackass with more money than sense taking over the airwaves setting up shop and firing whatever dogma he thinks

is appropriate without any control from the state.

Fair enough you don’t like RTE, fair enough your opinion is that they try to make people think in a certain way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

He's been doing book launches for widowers. In his element.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

After Tubridy’s deal with Renault brings RTÉ to brink, Daithi O Sé went on Tubridy’s old slot yesterday to “plug” the virtues of hair transplants.

He told Oliver Callan that RTÉ bosses OK’d the deal.

Did they OK him using RTÉ as a vehicle for free advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

I think you’re just “agin the gubbimint” but you might explain which of these alternatives explains why you believe RTÉ always promotes the government view:

a) RTÉ changes horses after every election

or

b) all governments for the past 60+ years have had the same agenda (although Dev and Cosgrave are spinning in their graves)

Or

c) RTÉ favours the current coalition because it includes

• FF, or
    • FG, or
    • Greens, or
    • some combination of two of the above

I am very sorry that I may have touched a nerve.

Possibly, but the boy Caquas asked some sensible questions.

Now Brendan, you and CoCos are not trying to bait me are you? May I need to contact the moderator?

Not at all, just putting our views forward, no need to involve them auld mods.

Dont get involved with mods or the Revenue is the Brens policy.

Chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Has Callan got Tubs radio slot?

• Advertisement

You would think so, been there a few months now - it's a slot where you could talk shite and no one cares, if you're working from home its only background noise while you get to grips with what to do for the day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement