Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Another huge factor in the increase of traffic from the East is down to the fact they removed the merge to the M8 South from Glounthaune.

Now you have all that local traffic from Glanmire, Glounthaune and Carrigtwohill all hitting the interchange from the East instead of from the North.

Edit: which is also a factor as to why delays from the M8 South are pretty much a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

1. Go to this site: https://trafficdata.tii.ie/
    2. Click on the monitoring station you're interested in and a little window will pop out.
    3. Click on the 'Site Dashboard' button.

Looks like the N25 west of Cobh Cross is still showing slightly less than pre-pandemic numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I was thinking there'd be an update email about it earlier in the week but evidently not. Must end up running late, assume weather still caused some issues

No mention of it in this week's update either.

Looks like they are focusing on fully opening the road to Tivoli instead.

It may be quicker to loop around Tivoli roundabout to a access the tunnel Southbound coming from the East when that road is fully opened.

• Advertisement

It says they'll remove some of the restrictions tonight, then virtually all by end of next week. Based on the picture it looks like it'll go past the flyover though

No mention of any work being done on Link K though which is the N25 Westbound to Tunnel, and the photo highlights the N25 Westbound to Tivoli.

Guess we will need to wait and see.

Ah yes, I always thought they only meant for going towards the city, not towards the tunnel that they'd be opening up. As you say, people may go to roundabout and come back, but would imagine the roundabout would get blocked up fairly quickly if a good few did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

I did exactly that on Wednesday morning when Tunnel traffic was backed up from Carrigtwohill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I've just spent 10 minutes watching the N40 NORTH OF TUNNEL feed and in that time at least half a dozen vehicles made the last-minute dive across from the left lane (lane1) of the N40 to the M8. The significant amount heading to the M8 suggests visitors heading home after the long weekend.

While the locals seem to, by and large, have come to terms with the misleading signs on the N40 for the M8 they do seem to be catching out a lot of the visitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It's counter intuitive to anyone not familiar with the layout. You would not be expecting a motorway exiting right from an N road.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Leatra

I don't know if I agree that it's counterintuitive. In hierarchical terms, the motorway is the 'main road,' so anything 'leaving' it should exit to the left. The M8 is only an exit because it's only one lane in a cramped space; otherwise it'd likely be more of a fork as where the M9 or M8 leave the M7. Staying right to join the motorway ultimately shouldn't be cause for confusion, but that will depend in no small part on the signs being sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Surely the entire new intersection was designed to cater for the busiest crossovers. Surely N40 North to N25 East has a much heavier flow than N40 North to N/M8 North ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

That's because the visitors are "keeping left" as we're supposed to do and following the stupid and dangerous signage that tells them that both lanes are for the M8, only to discover at the last second that that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The amount of signs when you come out of the tunnel onto the interchange is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Out of interest, when heading from the M8 southbound to Tivoli where exactly does the M8 change to the N8? I assume the N8 changes to the M8 on Link U. And, when deading east/west where does the N25 change to the N8 and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

400m north of the old roundabout which is where the L2998 passes under the road. That’s beyond the slip road.

Work again seems to be focusing on finishing the embankment south of the old roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Back up to two lanes along the N25 Eastbound before the Tivoli roundabout. Some traffic management on the slip road coming from Little Island still.

Flowing much better, but remains to be seen if now traffic going N40N to N25W blocks back to the tunnel on bad rush hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Glanmirelad

Are they seriously planning on merging 3 lanes in 1 on link K (Westbound N25 to tunnel) . I join Link K on my daily commute via link M (from the southern dumbell roundabout) where they merge two lanes in one even before joining link K , so effectively , in under a quarter mile they'll be merging 5 lanes into one . That route is gridlocked every rush hour as is . Having cars merging into a single lane on link K from both left and right is going to cause carnage IMO.

• Advertisement

Yeah they are unfortunately.

I'll be heading to Tivoli and looping around the roundabout to access the tunnel from the M8 which has little to no traffic in comparison since they shut the Ibis slip.

Just on this. The team have completed landscaping where the south portion of the old roundabout used to be. Assume planting grass in that area.

Not a huge amount extra to do to bring the embankment up to its final level.

From the newsletter it seems link K is not going to be worked on for the foreseeable.

Strange decision seeing as it's carrying a lot more traffic than N25W to M8N.

It’s also weird that they haven’t fully tidied up the exit from the N25E to the loop to the N40W. It’s been in an almost complete state for months. Get Exit Done! Sorry…

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

The merge shall be interesting but a little respect should see it work hopefully.

Single white line the entire way to the tunnel should help to move things along; I only saw 2 drivers break the single white line this weekend, unfortunately I was only travelling through it the once so may need some enforcement.

With this can they now remove the roadworks signs on the Mahon side of the tunnel? Should have people more willing to make progress and resolves some of the traffic issues.

I don’t understand the point of the road works side travelling west on the N40 until near the Mahon exit. There’s been no activity there for months.

Thankfully on the M8 northbound they brought the 60kph limit much closer to the interchange. Made no sense having it a mile up the M8 when there was no works ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Single white line through the tunnel is great, that should have been done from day 1.

I can't understand why they have the N25 - N40 slip as two lanes, which then reduces to 1. That will never work and will constantly jam - it would flow better if it was one lane throughout, I reckon. A three into one will be a disaster not just because of the merging but because we simply can't merge in Ireland.

The only reason is to increase queueing capacity on the slip. As you say though, all it’s doing in reality is decreasing capacity due to creating an additional merge.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid that new continuous white line is making fcuk-all difference. I've just now watched it for exactly 60 seconds and during this time three cars and one fuel tanker (you couldn't make it up!) coming from the M8 crossed the white line to move to the left hand lane. One car coming from the N25 also crossed over the line to move to the right hand lane. There needs to by physical separation. It can be removable polls in case access to the emergency exit is required.

Advertisement