Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ulster were dire in the second half. Had a 14 point lead and couldn't hold it. Defence was especially abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just seemed to give up and let Connaught come at them. Doak and Byrne made no difference.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tbh I think that’s another defeat grasped from the jaws of victory. The Ulster speciality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

That's a horrific collapse. Definitely positives to take away from the first half but when things get tough we've showed time and time again that we wet ourselves and gift the other team pointless penalties. Set pieces are a problem - Vermuelen was the one stealing lineouts for us last year and now we're not up half as quick so the opposition gets 100% of their own ball and probably 50% of ours. We knew the scrums would be bad given our bargain hunting for props over the summer in the AIL, English 2nd Division and Australian semi-pro league.

I don't want to be harsh but I'm not so sure Moxham or Sexton are at the required level, at least not yet. Carson is young so won't be too down on him but there is a stark contrast between him and Postlethwaite who's the same age. He didn't really do too much wrong but it was tough losing Hume. I would've hoped that bringing on our starting 9 and 10 would've settled things a little but in hindsight that was too ambitious of me, I should've known better.

Positives - McCann having an excellent start to the season, looks quicker and stronger. Hume seems to be gaining form, hopefully not even being in contention for the WC gave him a kick up the arse - he joins Stockdale and Baloucoune who have started well this season after watching the ghost of Limerick being given a retirement party in Paris ahead of them. Sheridan going strongly, I would have him firmly ahead of O'Connor now if the coaches are happy with his set pieces. Actually, are set pieces are awful even with O'Connor anyway so I'm not sure that matters. McCann and Sheridan - two decent Ulster born forwards. I could shed a tear.

Moxham and Sexton will never make it at this level.

Sexton in particular, he's fast but that's literally it. He has absolutely no rugby IQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Hard to argue with him.

I'm not even sure Sexton's speed translates to rugby all that well. Acceleration is more important and his isn't actually exceptional (he was a better 200m runner than 100m) and he doesn't play fast with the ball in hand. I suspect he panics a little and is in his own head too much. Compare his game to Rees-Zammit for Wales, who has lots of sharp movements, a great side-step, chip and chase and can turn on a dime.

Moxham at least runs and tackles hard sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

On the plus side, they were in the position to fall apart. I didn't have them anywhere near it before the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

There was a bit of fanfare when Aussie sprinter Trae Williams, or "Quadzilla", who has run 10.10 if memory serves, tried his hand at 7s for Australia. But I remember seeing him going for a break on the outside and getting hauled down. With tacklers able to use the touchline as an extra defender raw speed just isn't enough. A guy with a great rugby brain who can run 11.5 is going to be far more useful than a guy who can run 10.5 but doesn't have as much understanding for the game. You need an understanding for how to get the defender's momentum going the other way before you go for the space.

Well covered by Shane Williams here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjLgoReDBGw

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Is it? He's in his mid twenties and hasn't been picked up by anyone. Player of the year in the AIL Division 2A isn't necessarily going to guarantee involvement in the professional environment.

For him to call out the selection of Crothers specifically seems a fairly sh*tty thing to do to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yeah - while I certainly agree the tie between the club game and Ravenhill should be tighter, calling out specific players leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Especially "why aren't I playing rather than the up and coming youngster who captained the Ireland U20s to a Grand Slam?"

Academy players are an investment, the idea is that they will be ahead of these guys when they are the same age as them. Nobody is expecting them to be world beaters straight out of school.

There was a lad from Terenure who called out academy and pro players in the AIL after winning it last year. Struck me as sour grapes given he failed to make it at Connacht, who’ve had great success brining in players from the AIL and plays in Leinster who have recently taken Dan Sheehan and Rob Russell straight in on development deals. Even we’ve been looking at the AIL (to less success), so accusing provinces of not giving them chances doesn’t sit well with me. I realise it’s not always straightforward but if they are as good as they think, there are other professional leagues out there. If not, then a little self reflection might go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

He was on a stag doo to Galway and somebody got a hold of his phone. Post has now been deleted I believe.

Isn’t this the first year of Ulster’s academy partnership with Queens? Horrible timing…

In fairness, there would be a fair few clubs aggrieved by the Queens partnership.

Well, a couple at least I know of.

Post edited by Paul Smeenus on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He doesn't play for Queens anymore. As said above he was on a Stag at the weekend, so seems unlikely he himself typed the message. He's probably too old to ever be considered by Ulster now. Very good player though at the level he plays at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Was Matty Rea not mid twenties when he was looked at?

There's no doubt, players have fallen through the gaps over last few years. Does he have the potential to jump up a level?

Removing the circumstances of the tweet. Comparison with the likes of Reffel over home grown talent would bug me if I was him.

Certainly Bradley Roberts owes a great deal to the link between AIL and Ulster. Did Moxham come from club rugby? Was he ever in the Academy?

And in fairness, Reffell came from Saracens as their Young Player of the Year. We've no idea how good he actually is given he's been injured and has played a grand title of three times for us.

Injury Update:

Will Addison sustained a hamstring strain in the warm-up for Saturday's BKT URC game against Connacht. He will have an MRI scan to further assess this injury.

During the same game, Reuben Crothers, James Hume and James French all suffered concussive injuries. They will now follow the World Rugby Graduated Return to Play protocols.

Following recent injuries, the following players have all now re-integrated into squad training and their availability for selection will be monitored through this week:

Robert Baloucoune, John Cooney, Angus Curtis, David Ewers, Cormac Izuchukwu, Luke Marshall, Jude Postlethwaite, Jacob Stockdale and Kieran Treadwell.

Iain Henderson, Rob Herring and Stuart McCloskey have today re-joined the squad from recent Rugby World Cup duty and are available for selection.

Much fuller deck to pick from against Munster.

• Advertisement

Ulster v Munster

Kingspan Stadium, Belfast – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA / 21.35 SA

Referee: Frank Murphy (IRFU, 79th league game)

AR 1: Robbie Jenkinson (IRFU) AR 2: Paul Haycock (IRFU)

TMO: Brian McNeice (IRFU)

Live on: BBC NI, RTÉ, Viaplay, SuperSport, Premier Sports, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

The URC really does very little to help itself. We are still getting Irish refs in interpro fixtures. How can this be defended at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Indeed, Tighhead is a concern though! thought French went well last week

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

The fact he's a poor ref is worse than that he's an Irish ref.

He has shown at this stage he's not up to the standard required for an interpro

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Number 137

Dan Sheehan and Rob Russell were both in the academy, and did not go straight onto Development Contracts. Moxham was also in the academy.

Don't have an issue with an Irish referee, but would agree they should be provincially neutral.

I stand corrected. Both spent time in the AIL beforehand though, not going into the academy at the same time as their peers.

Yeah, both were prominent players for Trinity in the AIL.

Rowntree is under the impression that we rested a load of players last week because we're targeting this Munster game.

Sure thing, Gaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I actually think he has a point. We had a lot missing last week for one thing or another, but if they absolutely had to I reckon a lot of them could have played. There were probably a few lighter than they planned for Connacht, but I think the plan was always to target Munster at home.

So do Rob, Hendy and Stu come straight into the starting XV, or do they bench? I reckon Herring will start, Hendy will definitely (I think anyway) bench, I'm unsure on McCloskey.

It would be nice to be able to bring Stewart, Henderson and McCloskey off the bench in the last 20 minutes with a bit of a lead under our belt. Maybe I'm getting carried away.

The selection that interests me, maybe the most, is at 10. I'd go with Flannery, I reckon Burns probably gets the nod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

think he lost a bet but forget the bit about Crothers that his mate stuck in.

top player. never given a sniff by ulster.

ask any AIL coach.

Advertisement