Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭rob w

The height of the pallet from ground to top is 81cm, with a 15cm void below - so its only 66cm high where the wood gets stacked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭jamesd

Got my pallet yesterday - 5 minutes notice from the delivery driver - wood is cut to a nice size, solid and very dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

we should change the name of this thread to 'Rathwood Chat'

my crate arrived on zero notice last week. Comparing the volume to the TJ O Mahony crate of beech I got last year it seems about right. The approx weight on the TJ crate was 450kg, Rathwood was 400kg. Based on the area it was stacked in, it looks right.

With TJ coming in at €350 and Rathwood at €170 now its a no brainer, even with the beech to birch difference

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont think youre being stingy at all as thats a 30% loss rather than the 10% youd allow for. Was the pallet section itself taking up 34cm off the ground that one measurment was 66cm? Or what dimension was the 66cm, the width of the pallet? What ever it is it sounds like a 3 card trick, sell you 1m3 but then deliver 0.7m3. Youre right to be annoyed. Id consider raising it with them to see what their response is.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭antomack

So got my delivery of the 800kg birch crate yesterday that I ordered on October 7th. Based on the concerns from 'rob w' I said I'd take measurements of the crate and it would seem to be a similar issue in that it's fairly significantly less than advertised.

Measurements from site: H-1.65m x W-1.15 x D-1.05 = 1.99m3

My measurements External: 1.63 x 1.145 x 1.025 = 1.913m3

My measurements Internal: 1.5 x 1.11 x 0.9 = 1.4985m3

Along with that the wood is only filling to within about 2cm of the top of the crate so the 1.5 is more like 1.48 which gives only 1.47852m3.

So what was received is only about 80% of what was advertised.

To make matters worse I see they've also reduced the price by another €30 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Complain to them about the size and they might offer you a partial refund, that’s what I would do anyway

not much you can do about the price reducing

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Definitely get on to them.

That's a massive difference in measurement.

Post edited by Bobeagleburger on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The regular price drops, the shady service and the need to have buyers pay up front and wait a long time for delivery is giving off the distinct aroma of a business desperate for cash.

It doesn't really make sense when most suppliers will give a trader at least 3 months credit.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Guessing here but they might give you the weight argument, i.e 400/800kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

But it shouldn't be sold by weight because the drier it is the lighter it is or conversely wet wood weighs more.

Firewood has always been traditional sold on volume + species. EG A chord (old measurement) of ash or a chord of oak.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

its all in how they are presenting (wording )it : “Capacity: 1.85 m³ of stacked Hardwood or 2.3 m³ loose”

so they are selling a pallet with a capacity of €1.85m3

They are not saying it’s 1.85m3 of wood, just like they say its approx 400kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Honestly it surprises me that all firwood isnt sold by weight , even if its a nominal ,aprox 400 kg at 20% moisture -or whatever ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭JVince

Net assets (eg, after every cent is paid) of "only" €6,000,000 (€6m) as off December 31st 2022

You may wish to edit your very defamatory statement.

And it looks like they are direct importers (which is almost always paid prior to dispatch) rather than just retailing after purchasing from a distributor.

And also, I run a business, the chance of 3 months credit off any supplier is zilch. Frankly when you make such stupid remarks on a public forum, I suggest you think first.

Post edited by JVince on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

Slating a company for regular price drops!

Buyers have to pay up front- can u tell me a company that doesn't do this, I'll take 8 crates!

At least 3 months credit- laughable.

Which part of my post is defamatory Vince?

Did you check anything else about the company when you researched its net assets?

Do you know what its liquidity ratio is or what it even means?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

It's okay enricoh, I understand it's all a bit complicated for you.

No need to get excited.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Cut it out lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Ordered a crate of oak and hardwood on October 23rd, delivered this afternoon, 30 minutes notice via text and delivered by JMC couriers.

What are ya all doing with the crates, breaking them up and burning them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I turned one into a small log store for some excess wood, I usually burn them though

The internet isn’t for everyone

I doubt very much you have even a basic understanding of the laws of defamation or how to decipher a companies accounts Vince.

Did you manage to find out what "liquidity ratio" means and what the figure is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Ordered on 22nd October from Rathwood and delivery was meant to be last week - no sign. Useless call centre based in the Philippines. Anyone based in Dublin get a delivery from Rathwood of their wood (pallet size) in the past week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

I emailed them about something on Friday morning and had a reply from someone called Rosin within 9 minutes which answered my question. Maybe try to contact them that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭reggie3434

Ordered a 400kg of firewood after reading through here, thanks folks, the coal and new fire insert were not best match, wood seems to give a much better heat

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Yes, ordered 23rd October, delivered to Dublin 16 yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kil

My order was confirmed on 27Oct and delivered this morning. Cork - Rural - Prompto Dispatch delivered. Haven't been home to check it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sell9999

Ditto - my head was completely melted with that, ended up a complete and utter shambles for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

I ordered 5th October. Received a text message on 27th October that the order was routed for deliver but still no sign.

I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭reggie3434

I woodn't be on for listening to all this, I'll get me coat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ordered from Rathwood on the 2nd October and it arrived on Monday 5th November. Courier arrived at the house, no prior notice despite them having my mobile number. A crate of oak which I have unpacked and restacked. Timber looks good, very good in fact. No waste, all good pieces. Some bigger logs but nothing that needs splitting down in size. Apart from the long delay I'm happy with the purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Mine arrived today ordered on 22nd October. Dublin. Good quality oak. Well wrapped on a pallet.

Advertisement