Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

To be fair it didn't set out to be a balanced disccussion on electric vehicles. Its theme was recent court case which was Tesla specific and focused on the tech ....so perhaps you were expecting too much..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

Agree with you but my point is any opportunity on national radio to talk about EVs is an opportunity to educate/inform. They briefly touched on the network but the government need to be caned over it. It’s not like they are often discussed particularly on Liveline, particularly with such a large audience.

Whatever people think of him, Joe is no fool so if he seemed overwhelmed I think that’s all part of playing up to it and hoping someone will ring in and challenge the opinion etc etc

I am aware that Tesla don’t officially advertise or market yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

There’s no chance that tesla are happy with 90% of those leaked pics - more recently it’s just pics of one being towed after breaking down, or horrific panel gaps throughout a preproduction model - and now the leaks are suggesting it’ll be far more expensive than initially thought, never mind that their battery production capacity means they wouldn’t clear the cybertruck preorder backlog for many years.

Tesla are certainly not doing cypertruck PR with controlled leaks :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think every time a story comes up that happens to be about a car that's an EV we need to waste time on the state of the charging network. The only thing that's going to improve charging networks is more EVs on the road that need to charge at them.

I do question the interviewee's views on not being able to switch to another car because of his experience with FSD, as far as I'm aware he's paid €3,700 for the ability for autopilot to stop at a red light. It's definitely not something I think is worth it yet with the current UNECE (rules set in Geneva not Brussels as mentioned by interviewee) regulations

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla UK offering transfer of free unlimited supercharging of your existing Tesla to a new Model S/X/Y

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That would be a big incentive now 😎

I wonder will the free SuC then stay with the new car if you ever sell it or just you as the new owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

What should one expect to pay for the installation of a Tesla wall charger? I know I get the €600 grant toward purchase

Really depends on who you use.

Id you ring a RECI cold they could charge anything from €250-€1000!

are you dead set on the Tesla charger? Did you buy it yet?

Not dead set on the Tesla wall charger but I like the button for opening the charge port, how sleek it looks, and the price is decent. What else would you recommend?

I was considering the zappi but I won't be charging off Solar. Load balancing isn't a consideration because I typically won't be charging during the day, nor do I have a heat pump. However, if the zappi is more reliable then I will go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

do not pay more then 600-650 after grant for a charger.

😎

• Advertisement

Do you have an electric shower?

An electric shower + EV charger can require load balancing.

Wallbox is near and tidy. €550 supplied and fitted by ecoplex after grant.

Tesla charger is neat too. Long cable and port button makes it handy alright.

Are you buying brand new from Tesla or from adverts/donedeal?

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

The Tesla wall charger is a decent option, it looks neat and the integration with the Tesla app is a nice touch.

Our installation was €600 and it was pretty straightforward with the grant taking around 5 weeks from the time the paperwork was submitted. I wouldn't overthink it to be honest, it's just a big plug to charge your vehicle.

Actually just add to this, the new software released only a week or 2 ago allows the Tesla charger be added to the app which is a good point to make now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

I believe Tesla home charger is not grant eligible. List of chargers at end of this page. People used to select "other" in the past but I believe that loophole is gone.

My understanding is that to be grant eligible it needs to meet multiple standards one of which would be that in the future it should be capable of being updated to vary charging speed at times of national grid overload.

That was mentioned on a thread a while back. I got it touch with SEAI in August and they confirmed that the Tesla charger was eligible for the grant and it went through without a hitch. That was my recent experience anyway, would suggest anyone considering one to do the same.

All my showers are electric. I think a priority switch in the fuse board would manage the electric shower draw by disconnecting the charger automatically until load returns to normal. I am planning to buy from Tesla.

That could work then. If you already have a priority switch fitted then they could possible work with that.

Would you like a sealed brand new charger from Tesla for €400? PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Hi, can I ask how you did this, Tesla doesn't appear on the drop down of approved manufacturers, cheers.

I found a phone number for SEAI by searching online and gave them a call.

Customer Service

Tel: 01808 2100

Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland

P.O. Box 119

Cahirciveen

Co. Kerry

V23E781

Post edited by TMY on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

I see on TMC that someone in the UK has successfully gotten the FSD cost + interest refunded.

I wonder will any similarly litigious FSD owner in Ireland give it a go? 🙂

Or do they still hope that FSD will be delivered during the lifetime of their cars?

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/my-experience-taking-tesla-to-court-about-fsd.315086/

• Advertisement

Would that aid anyone in Ireland? Precedent?

Im Assuming the small claims court here is too low a value to take this so you’d have to go to the district? Would that be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

There wasn't a legal precedent set in the English courts because it never went to court. Also, judgements in the District Court here don't establish any precedent (precedent flows down).

But Irish law is the same type of law as UK law and it shows that Tesla don't believe they have a case worth fighting in the UK. A lot of Tesla Ireland's functions seem to be run from the UK, so it's not unlikely that the same legal team would be handling an Irish claim as in the TMC post.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It is the same UK legal team within Tesla for Ireland and the UK. Until it actually proceeds to local court / local solicitor level. Tesla tend to fight you all the way but usually settle when it's about to actually go to court.

I wonder if people will be able to make similar cases against tesla for the likes of TeslaVision park assist being not fit for it's intended purpose and those who bought EAP after USS deletion didn't receive the promised features due to the "transition". Calling it a transition period doesn't

Its a very long transition period, totally not affected hardware limitations, software and neural nets will do everything hardware can but better.

Imagine if any "Legacy" brand tried Musk's approach of Beta testing to the general public and continuously not deliver reasonably functional features . TeslaVision, deep rain, FSD, EAP. We'd never hear the end of Musk's moaning if the shoe was on the other foot.

I think the key phrase they mention in the TeslaVision press release is "Once these features achieve performance parity to vehicles equipped with USS, vision-based vehicles will have these features restored via a series of over-the-air software updates".

I would argue that these systems can never reach the same performance parity because software can't make up for the lack of some type of physical mapping hardware. If a rear camera or front cameras vision is inpared due to dust, water on the lens or lack of pristine lighting conditions then it can never reach performance parity with USS.

If I pay for a promised feature but it's not delivered within a reasonable time frame then I expect compensation. TeslaVision does not replace inputs USS once provided.

In that entire TeslaVision press release, Tesla are basically asserting that the camera based system is not only a substitute, but an enhancement due to the claimed benefits of high definition spacial positioning and longer range vision. Nonsense.

Since the system does not reliably provide inputs like USS did, hypothetically i believe customers may have grounds that they were misled by perceived equivalence. Equivalence which is not provided within a reasonable time frame, and in the case of EAP and FSD, not delivering at all.

Rant over😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I very much doubt it - the FSD is a hugely expensive option which doesn’t work at all and borders on fraud really (at the moment), whereas the tesla vision, while crap, is included with the car as standard and is ‘better than nothing’.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Hi All, Had the Tesla service guy out there to do a tyre rotation on a model y.

Left it a bit too long, almost 22k kms up on her. The guy said rear tyres are on the legal limit thus he cannot rotate them to the front.

I didn't think they were that bad and fronts are pretty good. But he's the expert and he was a gent.

We don't drive the car hard, 22k kms sounds low for needing tyres changed. But having said that id imagine front will be good till 40k kms so it would be just 2 tyres.

Any opinions? think he mentioned 250-300 Euro per tyre

Rear tyres will always wear out first on a RWD.

Replace with tyres bought from online if you have local guy to fit and you’ll save at least €100 a tyre.

Hankook Ion are getting good reviews lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭traco

Quick question thast just popped into my head.

Heading away for two weeks sun in middle of November and wondering what way to leave the Model Y RWD? Just charge it to 90% and leave it alone and unplugged or leave it on the charger and monitor?

Asking one of the adult children to plug in and out is a step too far as they will struggle to open the fridge to feed themselves and loading the dishwasher will be enough of a challenge so don't want them tio have a breakdown with any additional resposibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When I was away for two weeks in Sept I left the M3 in Dub Airport car park, no sentry and no checking in on the App, "lost" 4% from memory

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement